[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

O.o

It's right there on the first page of the release thread, and the development thread has a link to it in the first post.

As for resource unification, what would be ideal is if KSPI followed this. (Sort of; to be honest, the state of resources in KSPI addons from an interoperability standpoint is a hot mess.) I'm actually contemplating writing an MM patch that would align KSPI with it.

Incidentally, who's currently giving feedback on that? Because I really feel like some of those resources could have simpler / shorter names (specifically, CryoFuel / CryOx instead of LiquidHydrogen / LiquidOxygen, and keeping LiquidFuel - Kerosene - RP1 all as 'LiquidFuel', and keeping N2O2 as 'Oxidizer')

it could be that tritium decay is adding up timewarp decay after-the-fact, but i don't actually know why something like that would happen considering that it ought to be warp-dynamic like everything else is...

it only happenes around kerbin, and it cant be adding after the fact becuase theres no way i burn through 100 tritium in 10 min, as when im coasting out to circularize

How do i make the accelerometer data collectible? I looked for the "dataIsCollectible" line in the part config and looked in the interstellar folder as well. Both are there but i still can't collect the data. This is really annoying.

it only happenes around kerbin, and it cant be adding after the fact becuase theres no way i burn through 100 tritium in 10 min, as when im coasting out to circularize

well, i'm specifically referring to tritium DECAY not tritium use. That is a very large amount of decay however. How long are you warping before this happens?

How do i make the accelerometer data collectible? I looked for the "dataIsCollectible" line in the part config and looked in the interstellar folder as well. Both are there but i still can't collect the data. This is really annoying.

Scott Manley makes references to needing to tweak various config files to make sure that data actually can be pulled out from EVA, but as I use Ship Manifest, I've never been bothered to check what he meant.

From squad parts:

dataIsCollectable = True
collectActionName = Collect Data
interactionRange = 1.2

well, i'm specifically referring to tritium DECAY not tritium use. That is a very large amount of decay however. How long are you warping before this happens?

about 10 min game time

...ten minutes of time in-game is enough to get you into orbit. Definitely not enough to do an interplanetary transfer.

as in i get my ap to 200 warp to ap problem starts no more than 10 min game time goes by

Let me try to clarify blitz's situation. Please correct me if I have anything wrong, blitz...

He seems to be experiencing the problem he describes from a Kerbin launch to a ~200km AP. He timewarps the remaining time it takes to get up to the ~200km from where the engines are shut down after establishing the AP. Once he gets there and returns to 1x, the problem occurs. In total ~10 minutes of gametime has gone by from launch to AP. I saw no mention if an interplanetary transfer occurring, though perhaps one was intended/planned.

Unfortunately, blitz, I've no clue what causes the issue. I never use the Vista engines until after I've established a stable orbit around Kerbin. I limit them to space use only...something about radiation probably being a Bad Thing for Kerbals and the environment on Kerbin.

FractalUK and WaveFunctionP,

have either of you considered adding Helium-3 to the ISRU mining resources on the Mun? It's far more realistic than Jool aerofiltering (Real-world precedent) and would provide a MUCH needed balance to Helium-3 as a fuel for AIM reactors.

Also: Einarr, the Vista engines are Fusion Pulse Propulsion, and as such they don't really have the type of effect you are afraid of, Sure there's a lethal blast of neutron flux in the IMMEDIATE area, but it honestly isn't much more dangerous than the exhaust from your standard rocket engine, since the specific impulse is so much higher. In reality, whatever you use to block the rocket exhaust from a liquid fuel/oxidizer engine ought to be enough for the brief period of time surrounding the launch of a vista engine. There is also actually LESS environmental damage from the Vista engine than a Liquidfuel/oxidizer engine would typically produce, since a Vista engine would release only water when activated in-atmosphere, and no radioactive fallout, whereas a standard rocket engine uses a chemical fuel that is left in atmosphere from the exhaust.

Edited by TheGatesofLogic

Remember that the Vista has a built in safety feature that shuts it off if any kerbal or kerbal containing craft is within 2km. If that range is to be used, most of the buildings at KSC are within 2km and would need to be completely evacuated prior to a Vista launch.

Granted the pad might absorb the neutron flux as long as the engine remains on it, but from the moment of liftoff, the shielding of said flux becomes far less effective.

Edited by Einarr

have either of you considered adding Helium-3 to the ISRU mining resources on the Mun? It's far more realistic than Jool aerofiltering (Real-world precedent) and would provide a MUCH needed balance to Helium-3 as a fuel for AIM reactors.

Can't speak to what they might be planning, but adding a uniform amount of He-3 to the Mun is easy enough with an MM patch:

See post below.

I haven't tested that at all yet, so it could be way off, way underpowered, or overpowered. Maybe someone could figure-out a reasonable extraction rate per MJ so that an extractor can power itself with He-3, but not so much that it produces way, way more He-3 than it would require to power itself.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Just saved Kerbin from a blind date with a Class D asteroid. I do love SSTOs using the 3.75m fusion reactor and Thermal Rocket Nozzle. Gotta say it probably would not have gone so well without Quantum Struts to stabilize the rock as I maneuvered it and burned. Now I have it in a circular 4Mm equatorial orbit from a highly inclined approach (something like 118.25 degrees starting inclination. Got a sample from the rock, and returned it to Kerbin.

Edited by Einarr

After some tweaking I got He-3 extraction down to this:

PLANETARY_RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Helium-3
celestialBodyName = Mun
resourceName = Helium-3
mapUrl = WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/vall_water
resourceScale = LINEAR_SCALE
scaleMultiplier = 0.05
displayTexture = WarpPlugin/water_resource_point
displayThreshold = 2
}

@PART[FNRefinery]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = FNModuleResourceExtraction
powerConsumptionLand = 60
powerConsumptionOcean = 60
extractionRateLandPerTon = 0.0000226
extractionRateOceanPerTon = 0.0000226
resourceName = Helium-3
unitName = Helium-3 Extractor
extractActionName = Extract Helium-3
stopActionName = Stop Helium-3 Extraction
resourceManaged = True
resourceToUse = Megajoules
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Helium-3
amount = 0
maxAmount = 200
}
}

@PART[FNInlineRefineryLarge]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = FNModuleResourceExtraction
powerConsumptionLand = 60
powerConsumptionOcean = 60
extractionRateLandPerTon = 0.0002226
extractionRateOceanPerTon = 0.0002226
resourceName = Helium-3
unitName = Helium-3 Extractor
extractActionName = Extract Helium-3
stopActionName = Stop Helium-3 Extraction
resourceManaged = True
resourceToUse = Megajoules
}
}

Put an ISRU Refinery on Mun and you'll get 0.01 He-3 every ten seconds or so. The upshot being that you can timewarp at full speed while landed, rather than the 4x limitation on Jool.

Tweak the variables to suit your tastes.

Fixed the data not collectible problem but not by changing the configs. Changing them still didn't work so what i did was (with the help of KAS) grabbed the accelerometer and boarded the capsule with it on my back. It put the data on the accelerometer into the capsule and the thing itself dropped to the ground lol

FractalUK and WaveFunctionP,

Also: Einarr, the Vista engines are Fusion Pulse Propulsion, and as such they don't really have the type of effect you are afraid of, Sure there's a lethal blast of neutron flux in the IMMEDIATE area, but it honestly isn't much more dangerous than the exhaust from your standard rocket engine, since the specific impulse is so much higher. In reality, whatever you use to block the rocket exhaust from a liquid fuel/oxidizer engine ought to be enough for the brief period of time surrounding the launch of a vista engine. There is also actually LESS environmental damage from the Vista engine than a Liquidfuel/oxidizer engine would typically produce, since a Vista engine would release only water when activated in-atmosphere, and no radioactive fallout, whereas a standard rocket engine uses a chemical fuel that is left in atmosphere from the exhaust.

I've actually been considering simplifying quite a few aspects of the system, not that I wouldn't add more features, but He-3 particularly is on my chopping block radar. I haven't done it yet, as it would basically be a major break from stock kspi.

I've actually been considering simplifying quite a few aspects of the system, not that I wouldn't add more features, but He-3 particularly is on my chopping block radar. I haven't done it yet, as it would basically be a major break from stock kspi.

Is butchering KSPI something Fractal is okay with you doing? I haven't read back in the thread.

If so, please do. It is in desperate need of a little bit of butchery.

Is butchering KSPI something Fractal is okay with you doing? I haven't read back in the thread.

If so, please do. It is in desperate need of a little bit of butchery.

Read the license.

This license grants a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual and irrevocable right and license to use, execute, perform, compile, display, copy, create derivative Works of, distribute and sublicense the Project (in both source and compiled forms) and derivative Works thereof for any purpose; and to authorize others to exercise some or all of the rights granted herein, subject to the following conditions:

In short, yes. Fractal is perfectly fine with people editing and redistributing KSPI. So sayeth the license.

After some tweaking I got He-3 extraction down to this:

Put an ISRU Refinery on Mun and you'll get 0.01 He-3 every ten seconds or so. The upshot being that you can timewarp at full speed while landed, rather than the 4x limitation on Jool.

Tweak the variables to suit your tastes.

Well done :) You fixed He-3!

Read the license.

In short, yes. Fractal is perfectly fine with people editing and redistributing KSPI. So sayeth the license.

Legalities and implied intents aside, it would bother me if I'd worked as much as Fractal seems to have and someone came along and went

"You know what this needs?

*Windows_Recycle_Bin_Empty.wav*

"There! Fixed!"

Well done :) You fixed He-3!

Still the small matter of it being largely useless.

I took phoenix's configs and also added HE3 to Ike, Dres, and Moho without tweaking the values. Presumably Ike and Dres are of similar makeup to the Mun, and Moho is closer to the local star, and thus more solar wind hits it...though, since it's tidally locked to the local star, maybe I should rework the resource map as well...or remove it from Moho due to Moho's atmosphere...

If you edit a config, you'll need to restart the game for the new settings to load. FYI.

Actually just go to the ksc screen press mod+F12 go to database and reload, then mod+F12 again to exit after its done