[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

-Antimatter is extremly cutting edge tech even for KSPI. So Kerbin must use previous tech which is particulary stands on He3. More of it antimatter should be banned on Kerbin just it's too dangerous. Look at Fukushima it's only fission.

-Antimatter is anywhere. Even near Kerbin. Even in big enough ammounts for total cheating.

I wouldnt really point at fukushima as a point against antimater. That was more a subpar and antiquated design, coupled with insufficient maintenance and safety measures for the location coupled by a natural disaster that overwhelmed said safety measures. It also tends to be a rather touchy subject.

The molten salt designs used in KSPI would actually be alot safer than the style most nuke plants use these days. They cant really have a runaway reaction that leads to a meltdown that spews radioactive crap all over the place. The only reason we are not operating off thorium fueled molten salt reactors now is 1 part economics and 1 part the hysteria that labels everything with nuclear in the name bad. And its not that they are too expensive, its just there was more money to be had in supplying proprietary fuel rods as an ongoing revenue stream for the traditional design. Well that and the military couldnt breed plutonium in the molten salt design that was built and tested around the same time. the ICBM killed that design in the end as it was being developed to power a nuclear bomber as a lighter alternative. Its not that fission is a bad power source its just alot of factors left humanity with a really crapy design and stagnant development for the last half century. We could do better but right now inertia is maintaining the status quo.

I'm not saying large stockpiles of antimater are a good idea on the planet nore should even small quantities be used around population centers but for orbital stuff its prety safe for anything not in direct blast proximity of a ship that had containment failure.

Been a long day messing with part files and implementing tweak scale.

A little tease:

wv6s4YN.png

Can anyone say nuclear probe? Yes, I just launched with that setup. That is basic fission, no boosters/cheats. Yes, the generator is completely superfluous. Yes, those are useable radial radiators. And work is being done to make radiators glow when heated.

Fission buff looks good. Going for higher thrust than the stock nuclear engine, but lower isp. Reactor size increases relative thrust and lowers isp, with fairly similar TWRs. Much closer scaling to stock performance. Shooting to fit reactor based rockets into the reusability niche but still with the performance to justify the cost. The good news is that if I mess up the balance, it will be MUCH easier to adjust. The reduced parts in the VAB is a nice bonus.

It's hard to say, but I'm hopeful that I can get something out in a week or two, earlier if I get lucky with RL stuff.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Am i right in my suspicion that we will have two separate ksp interstellar versions in the future to choose from, supposed that fraktaluk will continue to develop the original? The latest announcements from wave, and the last postings from fraktal seem imho to describe two separate mods.

Just asking :)

Ok so I'm new to this game and I was watching Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest videos and this was one of the mods he used in there so I installed it and some of the stuff works and other things like the reactors and thrusters do things like this here in this short youtube video I made.

Does anyone have a fix for this or is this mod no longer available for the new version of the game?

Ok, guys I got it with fission. Bad example with Fukushima. Have mercy on me.:) May be it would be no need after Wave update.

But for now I want to give He3 a fresh start. You know some kind of balance (cost-rarity-timeline).

Look a few posts up in WaveFunctionP's signature for a working version. You'll have to delete all the old interstellar files and freshly install the mod, but it fixes that problem
Thanks this worked perfect

I do not have access to "disable warp drive" button which takes me "out of warp", instead i have to turn retrograde and warp in that direction to cancel out the warp speeds, but since i will never be able to perfectly do this maneuver, i end up with residual velocity vectors which point in random directions with residual speeds of 30km/s to 600km/s, while i can cancel out these excess speeds with the vacuum plasma engine, the time it would take is beyond my patience. this was in the version for .23.5. have you added this button back in to the .24.2 version?

Hi Guys

I have been playing the game for a few months now and have been getting quite into this mod, but i have a question which will greatly affect the design of my relays and transmission satellites.

The question is as follows, for a relay satellite, does it need two (2) microwave transmission parts (I use the large folding ones) or will one (1) of these do for acting as a relay. (ie : receiving and transmitting the power)

The second part of my question is, if i send up a satellite to act as a relay but put a reactor onto it, will it add that (reactor generated) power to the transmission it is already receiving, and send it on.

I have the below vision for my early network of power transmission and would appreciate any comments or (constructive) criticism.

Thanks a bunch!:confused:

fPMFPZu

http://imgur.com/fPMFPZu

EDIT: Updated Plan with more thought put into it, and some more (Probably horribly wrong) figures and math.

http://imgur.com/lpbOCOV

lpbOCOV

Edited by Gecko99
More thought given

-snips-

The question is as follows, for a relay satellite, does it need two (2) microwave transmission parts (I use the large folding ones) or will one (1) of these do for acting as a relay. (ie : receiving and transmitting the power)

The second part of my question is, if i send up a satellite to act as a relay but put a reactor onto it, will it add that (reactor generated) power to the transmission it is already receiving, and send it on.

Check out WaveFunctionP's tutorials in his sig. They should help out a lot.

Relays work by ONLY bouncing signal. If the craft is generating any power, and the transceiver is set to "Relay", no energy will be added to the network.

Conversely, if a craft is generating power and the transceiver is set to "Transmit", power will be added to the network, but that craft will not act as a relay. So say you have 3 reactors transmitting 5GW each, each with only a transmitter and each within line of site of the others. If your current craft has line of site to only one of them, then you will only get ~5GW power. To have access to the ~15GW you would want to put TWO transceivers on each of the craft, one set to Relay and the other set to Transmit.

EDIT: Also, apparently the large folding receivers don't matter for transmission, only reception. That coupled with FAR seemingly seeing the folding transceivers as always being deployed, makes them pretty much useless as far as I can see.

Edited by Atrius129

Check out WaveFunctionP's tutorials in his sig. They should help out a lot.

Relays work by ONLY bouncing signal. If the craft is generating any power, and the transceiver is set to "Relay", no energy will be added to the network.

Conversely, if a craft is generating power and the transceiver is set to "Transmit", power will be added to the network, but that craft will not act as a relay. So say you have 3 reactors transmitting 5GW each, each with only a transmitter and each within line of site of the others. If your current craft has line of site to only one of them, then you will only get ~5GW power. To have access to the ~15GW you would want to put TWO transceivers on each of the craft, one set to Relay and the other set to Transmit.

EDIT: Also, apparently the large folding receivers don't matter for transmission, only reception. That coupled with FAR seemingly seeing the folding transceivers as always being deployed, makes them pretty much useless as far as I can see.

That's the first I remember hearing bout FAR. Are you sure? Maybe I can do something about that before .12.

That's the first I remember hearing bout FAR. Are you sure? Maybe I can do something about that before .12.

It's been a problem for a long long time, and something Fractal never seemed interested in fixing. It seems that FAR sees the deployed size of the part regardless of its state making them extremely hard to handle. I haven't tested but I suspect NEAR does the same.

I've been meaning to mention it, but a word of warning for the next version. Every part is changing so all kspi vessels will break. I hate to do it, but there is so many changes that the vessels won't likely operate the way they were designed anyway. The good news is that the parts will be much more rational now. And there are more useful parts, but MUCH less cluster in the VAB

I've been meaning to mention it, but a word of warning for the next version. Every part is changing so all kspi vessels will break. I hate to do it, but there is so many changes that the vessels won't likely operate the way they were designed anyway. The good news is that the parts will be much more rational now. And there are more useful parts, but MUCH less cluster in the VAB

I am 100% okay with this if it leads to a better overall organization for the mod and easier development for you.

Fine by me, any word on when we can expect it?

I can not wait for this update!!! thank you WaveFunction for all the hard work you have been putting into this, if KSP-I had died at .23.5 with Fractals disappearance I would have been very sad. Fractal made and incredible mod but I am loving the direction you are taking it. :D

Is there an ETA on the next update? Not being pushy or anything just wondering if I should hold off on my career mode for a little while so I don't get into the KSP-I stuff until after the update.

That's alright. New stuff is more fun than old stuff.

(in the Architect's voice)

But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have rebuilt it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

More teases, courtesy of mellon85.

Cold radiators

http://i.imgur.com/NIX47Ge.png

Hot radiators

Can you provide to KSPI to use an unique own soundbase?

Engines have parameters in config:

sound_vent_medium = engage

sound_rocket_hard = running

sound_vent_soft = disengage

sound_explosion_low = flameout

Edited by Meltafire

Can you provide a method to KSPI to use an unique own soundbase? Like today KW Rocketry.

Put an issue on github, and I'll look into it. I'll forget otherwise because it doesn't sound like a priority feature to me. (read: I have no idea what you are talking about. :P)

I can not wait for this update!!! thank you WaveFunction for all the hard work you have been putting into this, if KSP-I had died at .23.5 with Fractals disappearance I would have been very sad. Fractal made and incredible mod but I am loving the direction you are taking it. :D

Is there an ETA on the next update? Not being pushy or anything just wondering if I should hold off on my career mode for a little while so I don't get into the KSP-I stuff until after the update.

I want to have pre-release up by the weekend, but no promises. Release hopefully a week after that to let people tell me how much I screwed up.