[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I thought you said that changing to flowMode = ALL_VESSEL fixed that?

Well it did, till my ship ran out of Thermal Power :/ and it's weird, I just remade a mockup of it on the ground and it works fine, I think Im just going to launch a new tug and call it a day...

EDIT: So I tried undocking the Tug from the Antimatter Tanker and Collector array, The Engines fired right up, Redocked with it, Engines Died.

Edited by Ashtoruin

Well it did, till my ship ran out of Thermal Power :/ and it's weird, I just remade a mockup of it on the ground and it works fine, I think Im just going to launch a new tug and call it a day...

You definitely didn't run out of antimatter or anything like that did you?

I can't replicate the problem but then these problems can occassionally be caused by one tiny design detail, everyone has their own ways of building ships. I build ships in some pretty weird ways for testing purposes, for example, one of my test ships has the root part as a decoupler to make sure that doesn't cause weird bugs but obviously I can't predict everything people might do.

You definitely didn't run out of antimatter or anything like that did you?

I can't replicate the problem but then these problems can occassionally be caused by one tiny design detail, everyone has their own ways of building ships. I build ships in some pretty weird ways for testing purposes, for example, one of my test ships has the root part as a decoupler to make sure that doesn't cause weird bugs but obviously I can't predict everything people might do.

Yeah, got plenty, trying to see if I can replicate it on the ground, I'll let you know what I figure out

EDIT: I have Reproduced it on the ground, I think I might know what is causing it, doing a few more tests.

Edited by Ashtoruin

Heh.. heh heh... so I strutted up the engine as you showed.

Got to orbit. The engine stayed on, but the whole antimatter generator fell off. DOH.

Still, we're getting closer. All these spontaneous unplanned disassembly events let me refine the design.

Edit: Alright. I had to put on a simply ridiculous number of struts to keep the engine/reactor on but I did get it to orbit.

Edited by forsaken1111

Yeah, got plenty, trying to see if I can replicate it on the ground, I'll let you know what I figure out

EDIT: I have Reproduced it on the ground, I think I might know what is causing it, doing a few more tests.

It happens any time you have an antimatter Engine Connected to an Empty Antimatter Tank via a Docking Port.

Tested with a 2.5m Antimatter engine -> Full Bear Tank -> Clampotron SR -> Clamp SR -> Empty bear, Problem went away when Empty bear had any level of antimatter in it.

So I brokeded it, Do I get a cookie?

Also, Switching Antimatter to Flow: ALL_VESSEL Fixed it.

Edited by Ashtoruin

So you attached the empty tank via docking port, where was the full tank though?

Attached to the Reactor,

2.5m Antimatter engine -> Full Bear Antimatter Tank -> Clampotron SR -> Clamp SR -> Empty bear Antimatter tank

Attached to the Reactor,

2.5m Antimatter engine -> Full Bear Antimatter Tank -> Clampotron SR -> Clamp SR -> Empty bear Antimatter tank

You're right, this appears to be a bug in KSP's part.requestResource() method where STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH resources are concerned. Something goes wrong where docking ports are concerned. That means fixing this without changing to ALL_VESSEL flow is going to be convoluted. I'll have to think about how I want to address this, I might have to temporarily change the antimatter flow, which I didn't really want to do but it's a better alternative than unexplainable malfunctions.

I love zzz's parts, but this mod is too much like work, having to figure out all of these resources and whatnot. I can tell a bunch of you are having a great time with all this fiddling around, but I'm sorry, I just want to built ships and fly them in space. Zzz, would you consider posting 'simplified' versions of your parts to your own site? I mean, engines that are just engines, reactors and electrical generators that just use standard resources, etc.? Much like how you have versions of the science lab and heat radiators that don't require the various resources and plugins to use. I really wanted the warp drive part of this, but if it won't work with 'infinite fuel' enabled, then I guess I don't get no warp drive. :(

I love zzz's parts, but this mod is too much like work, having to figure out all of these resources and whatnot. I can tell a bunch of you are having a great time with all this fiddling around, but I'm sorry, I just want to built ships and fly them in space. Zzz, would you consider posting 'simplified' versions of your parts to your own site? I mean, engines that are just engines, reactors and electrical generators that just use standard resources, etc.? Much like how you have versions of the science lab and heat radiators that don't require the various resources and plugins to use. I really wanted the warp drive part of this, but if it won't work with 'infinite fuel' enabled, then I guess I don't get no warp drive. :(

Honestly if you just want to build ships, Go to the Antimatter tanks .cfg and switch them from 0/x fuel to x/x fuel and Boom, no more work...

I actually made a copy of the Bear Tank for figuring out the Bug with Docking Ports I found so I could more easily narrow down the culprit.

You can stick a 2.5m thermal rocket on a 2.5m nuclear reactor and have a basic engine that will get around you and give you power as well, at least if you decide to add a generator too. There are some fairly complicated things in the mod but the common things are relatively straightforward and there are plenty of examples to look at of interesting creations that people have built if you're not sure how to do it.

Alternatively, you can just edit a bunch of antimatter into an antimatter tank, then use an antimatter fly around with ridiculous ease and power your warp drives. You won't get the most out of this plugin by doing this because it will completely trivialise the game but it's an option that is there if you just want to try things.

How do I make an upgraded/retrofit computer core do science/research? Do I need kerbals in the lab?

The upgraded computer core should just do research on its own. It needs a little bit of power (5MW) but should otherwise just work. What seems to be the problem?

The upgraded computer core should just do research on its own. It needs a little bit of power (5MW) but should otherwise just work. What seems to be the problem?

That would be the problem right there then. I'm not powering it with enough juice. =P Does the lab need to be manned for the other bits to work?

would you consider posting

Well, this is defenetly not the point of this. And I'm personally not interested in such doing. But anyone else could to make with it whatever he want and post on my or any other "site", models itself didn't have any restriction. Ask Sapphire, I'm sure she already have what you need.

Well, this is defenetly not the point of this. And I'm personally not interested in such doing. But anyone else could to make with it whatever he want and post on my or any other "site", models itself didn't have any restriction. Ask Sapphire, I'm sure she already have what you need.

No problem, just thought I'd ask. :) I'll probably go through and re-do my own configs then. Keep up the great modeling work! :D

That would be the problem right there then. I'm not powering it with enough juice. =P Does the lab need to be manned for the other bits to work?

In the science lab, you need Kerbals to do anything. It should give you a status message "Not enough crew" if you right click on it if you don't have any in there.

Fractal since you're here, do I have to reload KSP every time I want to test a mod? ie I'm making a mod myself and getting sick of reloading KSP every 10 minutes to make sure Im doing it right.

Depends what you're doing. If you're just editing .cfg files you can Alt+12 and click reload database, if you're making a plugin then yes, you need to reload the game over and over and over again.

if you're making a plugin then yes, you need to reload the game over and over and over again.

In that Case, +INFINITY SPACE COOKIES FOR YOU, This is getting tedious and I'm only on Day 2.

Edit:

I just found an awesome way to Be in Position for Retrograde Burn coming out of Warp, I put the Warp Drive on Backwards... *Facedesk*

Also, How is Velocity calculated coming out of Warp? I don't really need specifics, just what are the factors and how do I minimize them, I know you said on the first page that minimal distance is best, but does it take anything else into account? (ie Mass) Also, Bigger Warp Drives I notice can hold more Exotic matter, do they take more Exotic matter to launch jumps as well? are there any benefits to the larger drives?

Edited by Ashtoruin

Larger drives give you access to higher warp settings. Also 'more exotic matter' allows you to do more jumps at lower settings before you have to recharge the drive - think about EM as a dV for warp drive. You can do one jump at 1.0 c, or ten at 0.1 c.

Larger drives give you access to higher warp settings. Also 'more exotic matter' allows you to do more jumps at lower settings before you have to recharge the drive - think about EM as a dV for warp drive. You can do one jump at 1.0 c, or ten at 0.1 c.

Alright, makes sense, First Attempt at Moho went badly, was about 13k dV Short of Moho Orbit :/ so I'm prepping with 200k Liquid Fuel for this run, and bigger antimatter gens for better ISP :3 holy crap... Im going to have 1000 Tons of LF on this ship... :/

Yeah, Im hoping that Round one will leave me with enough LF to get back to Kerbin and with enough AM to take 4 tugs back out to Moho, which will contain everything needed for setting up a kethane refinery.'

Round two and the return trip will also be upgraded engines, helloooooo 14k Isp

Edited by Ashtoruin

You can stick a 2.5m thermal rocket on a 2.5m nuclear reactor and have a basic engine that will get around you and give you power as well, at least if you decide to add a generator too. There are some fairly complicated things in the mod but the common things are relatively straightforward and there are plenty of examples to look at of interesting creations that people have built if you're not sure how to do it.

Alternatively, you can just edit a bunch of antimatter into an antimatter tank, then use an antimatter fly around with ridiculous ease and power your warp drives. You won't get the most out of this plugin by doing this because it will completely trivialise the game but it's an option that is there if you just want to try things.

Unfortunatly Fractal_UK nuke+thurster combo give so little thrust that its not worth the added weight to do it. Its far easier to just strap some Nerva's on and be done with it.

A 2.5M reactor and thruster will give you 134KN of thrust and weigh 24T combined. 2 stock nerva's will give 120KN and weigh 4.6T with adapter. You loose alot of deltaV because of the added weight.

Unfortunatly Fractal_UK nuke+thurster combo give so little thrust that its not worth the added weight to do it. Its far easier to just strap some Nerva's on and be done with it.

A 2.5M reactor and thruster will give you 134KN of thrust and weigh 24T combined. 2 stock nerva's will give 120KN and weigh 4.6T with adapter. You loose alot of deltaV because of the added weight.

Pretty much, I spent all of a day working with Nuclear to realize that its not worth using for anything more than a Kerbin Tug, and I'm not even sure its worth that.