[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Does this mod work with the near future propulsion pack? I'd like some of the parts and features out of this, as well as some from the other mod. Would this break the tech tree in any way? Thanks.

I haven't tested it but nothing should go wrong with the tech tree. I've heard reports that the two mods are compatible and work together but the results may not be entirely balanced, you will probably find that the reactors/generators in this produce massively more electrical power than the ones in the near future propulsion pack but my electric engines need even more power to get useable thrust out of them. So, getting power from this and engines from the other mod might prove to be unbalanced.

There may also be overlapping resource definitions, because I think that pack also include an argon resource? So, be careful with argon engines.

For some reason since .7 with any new crafts which have a thermal jet I'm unable to switch to Liquid Fuel mode, only Atmo / Intake Air are available, but any ships that are already in space from the previous versions save file work fine. I have the research which auto upgrades them and it's called a "Hybrid Thermal Rocket" when I right click in game, there is also no option to upgrade since it already is, but it's behaving like a regular thermal jet.

There are some problems with time warping and power generation in the electric generator going down to 0. I only tested this out on the ground with a science lab producing antimatter. My antitank matter kept exploding every time I wanted to time warp to full. I'd have to mess with it until it somehow became stable.

I haven't tested it but nothing should go wrong with the tech tree. I've heard reports that the two mods are compatible and work together but the results may not be entirely balanced, you will probably find that the reactors/generators in this produce massively more electrical power than the ones in the near future propulsion pack but my electric engines need even more power to get useable thrust out of them. So, getting power from this and engines from the other mod might prove to be unbalanced.

There may also be overlapping resource definitions, because I think that pack also include an argon resource? So, be careful with argon engines.

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems as though the new tech tree introduces a new level of incompatibilities between mods in general. I'll wait for the Near Future pack to update and see if I can fix any balancing issues (then I could send it to you as an optional download for the front page), or suggest some fixes to be put into a compatibility patch (if you're feeling up to it), perhaps? This is only if there are glaring bugs when using the two, of course.

Anyway, awesome mod. Watching Scott Manley play around with your mod made me really want it!

There are some problems with time warping and power generation in the electric generator going down to 0. I only tested this out on the ground with a science lab producing antimatter. My antitank matter kept exploding every time I wanted to time warp to full. I'd have to mess with it until it somehow became stable.

This is more of a bug with KSP actually, at full timewarp you are trying to pull more power then is held in actual storage, this can happen in stock games also.

Was it just the small antimatter reactor? I'll experiment with this later but it may be that I also need to increase the resource priority of the antimatter tanks to ensure their power supply if the generating isn't producing enough.

I just wonder if you are going to add WARP >1? Right now you can travel at c using your warp drive, but in the future, when there will be added more solar systems, players will really need to travel FTL. It might be interesting to adapt the StarTrek system, where WARP1=c, WARP2=8c WARP3=27c etc. assuming that game mechanics allow to travel FTL.

Upgraded Warp Drive can go 20 c :) It's ludicrously fast until we get other solar systems. Personally i've never tried this speed - i reckon i would overshoot entire system by lightyears in a heartbeat :P

I did actually scale down light speed by 10x to make travel times at the speed of light more closely match those they would be in real life within the solar system at the real speed of light.

I'm guessing if SQUAD do introduce new solar systems they will similarly scale down distances between solar systems. Higher speeds can be added when I know how fast the drives need to be.

In case anyone was interested I made some graphs showing the Antimatter Flux for all KSP's celestial bodies. This should help people find a good place to harvest some Antimatter. Let me know if I got any of the information wrong. Here's the link to the album as there seems to be a problem with the embeding tag: http://imgur.com/a/LXsgT#0

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by DrNuke
added album link

Hey Scotius, thanks for clarifying that out :) I didn't yet discovered WARP tech, I wrongly supposed it allows only to go at c speed. My bad. I have another question. Can you control the WARP speed, or you will always go as fast as your ship can?

Hey Scotius, thanks for clarifying that out :) I didn't yet discovered WARP tech, I wrongly supposed it allows only to go at c speed. My bad. I have another question. Can you control the WARP speed, or you will always go as fast as your ship can?

You can toggle the speed up and down between 0.1 and 20c. The actual speed your ship can go is a function of the size of Alcubierre drive you have and the mass of your ship. The bigger drives can hold more charge but the mass of your ship makes it harder to go faster. Usually it's tough to go more than 3 or 4c without upgrading the drive.

Love the science possibilities that get added by this mod! But now that I've chosen the Interstellar Tree, will the parts from other mods (like KAS, Mechjeb, Engineering, Procedural Fairings) show up in this tree so I can use them in my career save? Or does that depend on those mods?

Hope anyone can answer that :)

I'm still having issues getting KAS and Kethane to show up in the Interstellar tree. Added the techrequired line to the part.cfg's, double checked the node names to be sure, and no dice. Kerbal Engineer, Proc fairings, B9 aerospace's new release, KSPX...these all work fine.

I guess its something with the part/tree relation I'm messing up? Since KAS/Kethane aren't "tech compatible" yet.

Love the science possibilities that get added by this mod! But now that I've chosen the Interstellar Tree, will the parts from other mods (like KAS, Mechjeb, Engineering, Procedural Fairings) show up in this tree so I can use them in my career save? Or does that depend on those mods?

Hope anyone can answer that :)

Yes it will definitely work but make sure you have the newest version of TreeLoader or the newest version of Interstellar.

This was a problem that only got fixed yesterday evening. If it doesn't work straight away for you, either download TreeLoader and replace just that or download another copy of Interstellar and reinstall.

It was the largest antimatter tank but as far as I know the issue stems from the electric generator pretty much producing 0 output when you start timewarping up. I suppose this probably occurred already before 0.7 but it wouldn't have been such a huge problem considering you're not really watching for anything at full warp. Now antimatter tank just blow up without a lot of babying and wiggling to get it safe into full timewarp.

Love the mod. Thanks for all the hard work. Been building out my microwave power satellite network and labs for a couple weeks now. Unfortunately, I am seeing some issues with new vehicles created after 0.22 and 0.7. Some components are not generating resources/waste correctly and show empty fields in their right-click menus.

Reproduction steps:

1. Play on OS X, clean install through Steam.

2. Install only Intersteller Mod 0.7.

3. Start a new game in sandbox mode.

4. Open VAB and create the following simple vehicle, from top down:

RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit

2.5m Inline Radiator

2.5m Nuclear Reactor

2.5m Electric Generator

Science Laboratory

5. Click the crew button and fill the crew

6. Click Launch

Problems:

A. Right click on the radiator and note that the temp is 3500K and power radiated and power convected are blank. They do not change.

B. Right click the reactor and notice that it's generating power, but not waste heat.

C. Right click the generator and notice it's generating MJ and EC, but the current power, max power, and efficiency are blank.

D. Right click the science lab and notice that no Science resource line is displayed

E. Expand the resources tab in the upper right corner and notice there is no Science resource

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-20%20at%202.13.12%20PM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-20%20at%202.13.30%20PM.jpg

Tried this same set with the 1.25m reactor and generator; same problems.

Also, I cracked open the save file and noticed there was no RESOURCE section in PART section for the science lab. Added it from a 0.21.1/0.61 save game and restarted. The Science resource line then appeared in the right click menu for the science lab and in the vehicle resources tab, but no further science was generated.

Did all this again with a computer core module and all was the same. No RESOURCE section, no generated science, etc. etc.

Help! I need my Interstellar mod!

Edited by Oloros

Thanks Fractal_UK!

Another question then, while I'm at it :P

For the first time I just tried putting a nuclear reactor, an electric power generator and a science bay (and heat radiators) on a vessel and tried it out. It worked, the science bay got powered up but it seemed as if it wasn't really draining power. I let the reactor and generator run untill it stopped by itself (guess it was full) and then i disabled tritium breeding (or whatever it says) and I expected my megajoules to go down as the science bay should be usign power. But it didn't, all my resources stayed the same.

Love the mod. Thanks for all the hard work. Been building out my microwave power satellite network and labs for a couple weeks now. Unfortunately, I am seeing some issues with new vehicles created after 0.22 and 0.7. Some components are not generating resources/waste correctly and show empty fields in their right-click menus.

Reproduction steps:

1. Play on OS X, clean install through Steam.

2. Install only Intersteller Mod 0.7.

3. Start a new game in sandbox mode.

4. Open VAB and create the following simple vehicle, from top down:

RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit

2.5m Inline Radiator

2.5m Nuclear Reactor

2.5m Electric Generator

Science Laboratory

5. Click the crew button and fill the crew

6. Click Launch

Problems:

A. Right click on the radiator and note that the temp is 3500K and power radiated and power convected are blank. They do not change.

B. Right click the reactor and notice that it's generating power, but not waste heat.

C. Right click the generator and notice it's generating MJ and EC, but the current power, max power, and efficiency are blank.

D. Right click the science lab and notice that no Science resource line is displayed

Can you try re-downloading and reinstalling the mod? Before you do, go into your GameData folder and delete the WarpPlugin folder to make sure that the reinstall is completely clean. I just created a new sandbox and built the ship you described, everything works fine:

OqLCWko.jpg

If this doesn't help, please send me a copy of your KSP.log file.

E. Expand the resources tab in the upper right corner and notice there is no Science resource

Tried this same set with the 1.25m reactor and generator; same problems.

Also, I cracked open the save file and noticed there was no RESOURCE section in PART section for the science lab. Added it from a 0.21.1/0.61 save game and restarted. The Science resource line then appeared in the right click menu for the science lab and in the vehicle resources tab, but no further science was generated.

Did all this again with a computer core module and all was the same. No RESOURCE section, no generated science, etc. etc.

Help! I need my Interstellar mod!

This part is not surprising. I can't really have two science systems going on, so I removed the science resource in 0.7 in order to integrate with the stock science system. That means, in sandbox mode, all parts will upgrade automatically to their best possible state. Only career mode will feature the basic parts and unlocking new technologies will unlock the upgrades.

Thanks Fractal_UK!

Another question then, while I'm at it :P

For the first time I just tried putting a nuclear reactor, an electric power generator and a science bay (and heat radiators) on a vessel and tried it out. It worked, the science bay got powered up but it seemed as if it wasn't really draining power. I let the reactor and generator run untill it stopped by itself (guess it was full) and then i disabled tritium breeding (or whatever it says) and I expected my megajoules to go down as the science bay should be usign power. But it didn't, all my resources stayed the same.

Try turning the generator off, you will see the Megajoules go down then. With the reactor on and generator on, it will simply be generating them faster than the science lab is using them up.