[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

Are you in Chase mode? Remember that the orientation is not necessarily consistent with the screen view otherwise. "Up" to the craft may not be "up" on the screen.

Think of it like the navball when you take off from the pad. "North" is down on the navball, but you push W to get there.

That's because rotating your craft doesn't change the camera perspective. All you need to do is switch your camera to Chase Mode. Tap V a couple of times until it's in that mode. It's really recommended to be in that view anyhow, since it helps make docking more intuitive - no need to mentally translate your orientation into the correct attitude. In Chase mode, the ship's port side is to the left of the screen, starboard to the right, etc.

One thing that can cause confusion is if you're controlling your craft from a docking port that's been put on rotated upside-down, relative to the rest of the craft.

It helps if you rotate set up your vertical alignment first, then handle the nose alignment relative to the target port. It doesn't really matter whether that is top or bottom, but you do want it to be either/or before performing other movements, or you'll have a hard time with unpredictable velocity shifts as you attempt to slide in place.

I believe his problem is because of the way KSP treats the WASD keys as a joystick during docking mode. A and D "pull" the ship's nose left and right, respectively, while W and S "push" the craft's nose down and up.

You can reassign W and S in the KSP settings menu; Input tab; Docking Mode tab; change Pitch Down to S and Pitch up to W.

I believe his problem is because of the way KSP treats the WASD keys as a joystick during docking mode. A and D "pull" the ship's nose left and right, respectively, while W and S "push" the craft's nose down and up.

You can reassign W and S in the KSP settings menu; Input tab; Docking Mode tab; change Pitch Down to S and Pitch up to W.

Although docking mode isn't really necessary either, for that very reason.

I usually just leave the modes and cameras alone while docking. That makes the controls predictable, and keeps rotation controls accessible at a touch if/when necessary (which is usually fairly often). :)

Although docking mode isn't really necessary either, for that very reason.

I usually just leave the modes and cameras alone while docking. That makes the controls predictable, and keeps rotation controls accessible at a touch if/when necessary (which is usually fairly often). :)

Ditto. I use the DPAI display and pretty much ignore everything else except my Resources panel if I'm worried about monoprop quantities or electrical charge levels. I fly almost the entire rendezvous with the DPAI. All you really need is right there. :)

Is there a way to invert the yaw on the orientation indicator?

With the default control, you press "W" and the orientation node goes up but if you press "D", the node goes left.

It really confuse me during docking :(

I agree this is very irritating, the human brain doesn't allow you to remember the combination of normal up/down and opposite left/right

even though this is built in to ksp, it would be nice if navyfish came up with a way to invert it.

(I've been using this mod since it came out and I still find it difficult)

Sure it does - or no one would be able to operate a rudder.

The problem is that other games (particularly consoles) use the opposite convention to aircraft joysticks, and even cursor keys effectively use the opposite convention. However this is a "flight" simulator and uses the flight-simulator/aircraft-joystick convention.

BUT - as I said a few posts up, it is easy to switch any annoying W and S assignments in the Settings page.

I'm curious - is there a way to get this mod to work with the JSI/RasterPropMonitor or MFD glass cockpit? It would fit perfectly in that setting.

JSI/RasterPropMonitor link

MFD Glass Cockpit mod that enables other mods to be viewed on the glass displays

Sure there's a way, but since NavyFish indicated that's a plan for another release, it's probably a bit involved.

Had a brief moment of internet access and thought I'd inject some data into this conversation.

When you press W/A/S/D, you are not moving the orange circle (the alignment indicator): you are moving the white crosshairs. More specifically, you're moving the 'nose' of your vessel, which is represented by the white crosshair. It's as if there's a camera pointing out from your vessel's docking port, looking outward, with a white crosshair in the center of the view. Thus, when you press W, you're nosing your ship down - and therefore the alignment indicator moves upward relative to the crosshairs.

So, to help your hand/eye coordination when using the indicator, instead of thinking that you're moving the orange circle with WASD, realize that you're moving the crosshairs. Thus, if the orange circle is above the crosshairs, "Pull Up" your nose/crosshairs by holding S to align with the circle.

Another way to demonstrate this principle is to put your ship on the approach centerline (center-up the green CDI needles), and center your alignment. Now look on the stock navball - the magenta target icon should be centered on your heading pipper. Now hold W for a bit. You'll notice the magenta target icon moves upward relative to your navball heading pipper, and that this movement is replicated by the orange alignemnet indicator on the DPAI. (Note, the target icon does NOT provide the same information as the alignment indicator, but when you're on centerline it will appear very similar).

Hope this helps clarify things.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks, I'm back in the world.

Looking for several people to help me beta test the upcoming release of DPAI. I'm mostly interested in testers who use a large number of mods, particularly those which use Module Manager. The next version of this mod will rely upon the latest version of MM, so part of the testing process will require an upgrade to the latest MM (I'll package the latest DLL).

In addition to testing for bug fixes and compatibility issues, I'd like to hear about any major usability gripes - but I don't expect to implement any major new features prior to the release of this next version (4.0).

If you're interested in helping out, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

-Navy

We've had 6 testers offer their services so far - thanks again to you all. If anyone else would like to help out, please don't hesitate to PM me. The more eyes we can get on this product, the sooner I'll be comfortable releasing it to the public!

The next version of this mod will rely upon the latest version of MM....

Is this going to be a hard dependency on Module Manager? If so, is the code you've added that require MM modular enough that it can be cut out easily? Or is it just a config file that can be skipped if we don't want the port renaming?

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Is this going to be a hard dependency on Module Manager? If so, is the code you've added that require MM modular enough that it can be cut out easily? Or is it just a config file that can be skipped if we don't want the port renaming?

In short, no, there is no hard dependency. If you don't want to risk using MM, you don't have to install it. In that case, you simply won't be able to rename docking ports (the default name for a port will still appear on the gauge when targeted). Alternatively, you could skip the config file to achieve the same result.. but why? :)

In short, no, there is no hard dependency. If you don't want to risk using MM, you don't have to install it. In that case, you simply won't be able to rename docking ports (the default name for a port will still appear on the gauge when targeted). Alternatively, you could skip the config file to achieve the same result.. but why? :)

Cool, thanks. I've no problem with MM, but I avoid mods that alter the persistence file for my main "mostly-stock-only" saves. Looking forward to your new plugin (when I get back from traveling in late July).

Quick update:

Beta testing is progressing nicely. Testers have identified two nasty buggers, which have -hopefully- been squashed.

Question for the crowd on interface. In this upcoming version, the indicator automatically targets the nearest available port on your target ship. Therefore, if you have a ship targeted, as soon as you close within ~2.3km of it, the DPAI window appears. Some folks have mentioned they do not like this.

You could click the toolbar button to hide the indicator, but I had it automatically re-appear whenever you changed targets (including deselecting and re-targeting your previous target). So, based on the feedback, I've tweaked the behavior of the toolbar button slightly - now, if you click the toolbar button, it hides the indicator - and the indicator does NOT reappear, until you click the toolbar button again. My fear, however, is that this could lead to situations where folks are not sure why the DPAI isn't popping up, etc.

It's late and I'm tired, so it's entirely possible that I'm scratching my head over a trivial issue that most folks won't think twice about. But, when in doubt..

Thoughts? :)

-Navy

Edited by NavyFish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.