Advice needed for my first Duna landing and return mission

So I've been contemplating taking my first manned return trip to another planet and after dabbling with some of the other planets Duna has stuck out as the go to place to begin, although Laythe was very tempting too.

So what sort of vessel should I be constructing here? I've tried using the KSP calculator but failed to make any sense of it. I previously constructed an interplanetary vessel which took me most of the day only to find that one of the docking ports was stuck inside the adapter and had to scrap the entire project. So rather than going in blind again I decided to try get some advice from here first.

My next planned attempt was going to consist of two poodles on medium size rockomax tanks attached to one extra small one to act as a tug for the vessel. Possibly a 3 way docking station to hold my lander and two extra large rockomax tanks for backup fuel, and a lander powered by a single poodle with a couple radial fuel tanks as a backup. I was also thinking of sticking a probe on each large rockomax fuel tank which will be deployed before leaving Duna and possibly a small rover to attach to the back of the lander.

Does this have any remote chance of getting me and 3 kerbals to Duna and back once assembled in orbit or have I overshot/undershot the requirements?

So I've been contemplating taking my first manned return trip to another planet and after dabbling with some of the other planets Duna has stuck out as the go to place to begin, although Laythe was very tempting too.

So what sort of vessel should I be constructing here? I've tried using the KSP calculator but failed to make any sense of it. I previously constructed an interplanetary vessel which took me most of the day only to find that one of the docking ports was stuck inside the adapter and had to scrap the entire project. So rather than going in blind again I decided to try get some advice from here first.

My next planned attempt was going to consist of two poodles on medium size rockomax tanks attached to one extra small one to act as a tug for the vessel. Possibly a 3 way docking station to hold my lander and two extra large rockomax tanks for backup fuel, and a lander powered by a single poodle with a couple radial fuel tanks as a backup. I was also thinking of sticking a probe on each large rockomax fuel tank which will be deployed before leaving Duna and possibly a small rover to attach to the back of the lander.

Does this have any remote chance of getting me and 3 kerbals to Duna and back once assembled in orbit or have I overshot/undershot the requirements?

Basically you're gonna want kerbal engineering or something to figure out delta-v numbers, and then you're gonna want to look at a delta-v map (search delta-v map KSP on images and it'll be the first one). Alarm clock is also useful so you can figure out exact transfer times. I believe the best bet for a Duna land and return is an apollo style thing, with LKO rendezvous; build a lander/ship combo in the VAB, then send up the lander on its own, and the ship on its own, use the ship to fly the lander to Duna orbit, use the lander to land (use chutes to cut down on delta-v requirement for landing) and return, ditch the lander and come home.

With nukes, Duna is a pretty easy trip to make, especially if you just build the ship in orbit.

My craft to Duna and back used a nuclear engine for transfer both ways, and a separate lander for going to the surface and returning to orbit. All that was plonked on a lifter beefy enough to get it in to Kerbin orbit, and it was good to go.

Had high hopes for my latest Duna Explorer. Until an unfortunate triggering of the safety release mechanism of the crew capsule during final descent to Duna caused the crew to get stranded there that is.

Fuel for the return trip may have been tight too, to be honest, but probably enough to reach Kerbin and do aerobraking there to land or orbit.

Result, I'm designing a rescue mission with tons of safety built in. Vehicle will have docking ports, refueling bowsers will be sent ahead to Duna orbit to await its arrival, and I'm even thinking of sending a spare crew vehicle and its own refueling support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.