is it possible to put a ship stationary right at mun-kerbin barycenter

lammatt

o ya...

i think i had some misconception when i asked the question... and after reading a bit...

my question was indeed...

is it possible to put a ship at the barycenter with a motion such that it stays right at the barycenter's locus?

(it seems to me the loci of them are conic sections w.r.t either one of the two planets anyways (judging from the pics on wiki...))

---i aint physics/ math major.... those equations are almost Martians to me who happens to be a chemistry major graduate a few years ago and forgot most of my math training already

Lagrange points are the only places where you can maintain zero relative motion to the system.

Yeah, as stated in a different thread, the issue isn't computer load. Your computer could handle it just fine. The issue is that if it weren't on rails, gameplay would be significantly less fun; if you sent a probe out to Jool, you'd have to timewarp a year forward, only to find that over the thousand or so orbits that occurred with your LKO station in orbit, the Mun and Minmus managed to jerk it quite a ways around, possibly even de-orbiting it. This means you'd have to constantly be stationkeeping, instead of just hitting time warp and getting a coffee.

funny you should mention the other thread, I found that after and answered just that very concern you have there in that one.

Personally I'd like to see that kind of thing, though it would imply changes to the game engine being neccesary to make pertubation playable. When higher levels of automation are available, adding pertubation would actually improve the gameplay quite a bit, if unfocused objects had their orbit control system simulated at a lower level, so they are slowly bleeding off RCS / Fuel / Power while their missions procede.

indeed it'd need more processing power at higher warp, than as things are now, but they have said automation is coming eventually. If thats true, and things are going to happen in the background, some degree of pertubation and management for this might as well be added in my opinion.

So short ver - vessels if they have sufficient RCS/liquidfuel will stay in the orbit if you enable a certain mode when away from them. If said RCS/liquidfuel runs out, the vessel will begin to drift. Something like Kerbal Alarm Clock could be used to warn of a vessel being low or out of station keeping resources, or if the orbit has reached a critical level (atmospheric contact, <10km, etc)

After writing that post I went to sleep, then dreamt jupiter pulled earth out of orbit, earth then circled around Saturn, picking up a few hundred *asteroid* moons, (from the rings) then circled back to regular orbit then ended up having an elliptical orbit, just close enough enough that the world was burning for a very short time, not enough to permanently destroy the Eco system then proceeded further out and experienced a lasting winter. Quite strange

After writing that post I went to sleep, then dreamt jupiter pulled earth out of orbit, earth then circled around Saturn, picking up a few hundred *asteroid* moons, (from the rings) then circled back to regular orbit then ended up having an elliptical orbit, just close enough enough that the world was burning for a very short time, not enough to permanently destroy the Eco system then proceeded further out and experienced a lasting winter. Quite strange

Strange, but at the same time totally not strange. Last months National Geographic cover story was about the crazy early solar system. Uranus and Neptune possibly switched places in their orbits causing all sorts of craziness.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/07/125-solar-system/image-gallery#/2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.