Do the scene load times keep you away from 0.21.1?

Benie

Are the scene loading times keeping you away from 0.21.1?  

1. 1. Are the scene loading times keeping you away from 0.21.1?

• Oh yes, definitely! I'm going to stay with 0.20 until they fix it!
    • Not really. I ignore them. I know SQUAD will fix it eventually. Just be patient.
    • I don't know what I feel. (discuss in thread)

I don't know what everybody's problem is... I haven't seen any of this issue at all. Between .20 and .21.1, my scene changes dropped from around 30s to around 15s, which is a drastic improvement.

There's a severe gap in the attitude of the poll.

if there is even a single mod, your expercience doesn't count.

Doesn't bother me very much at all. I've noticed a slightly longer load time, but in no way close to causing me heartache or not continuing to play .21.1. A few extra seconds just gives me that much more time to take a sip of my favorite ice cold brew. And/or get mentally prepared for the mission at hand :wink:

And at any rate, there's been a few people complain about this very issue and if I could guess, Squad is working on how to improve/fix it. :)

if there is even a single mod, your expercience doesn't count.

Pardon? I don't recall mentioning the use of mods, and find your jab unwarranted. The tone of this poll is exclusively anti-.21.x, and I was commenting on such, as I find .21.x to be fantastic (SAS may be a touch weak, but that's not part of this discussion). As such, my entry would be that I know what I feel: .21.x has greatly improved performance, for me.

I have a vanilla install for use in all of my serious missions, which is my primarily played file, if that puts your mind at ease.

If you all are talking about the time span when that "Loading" image shows up in the right lower corner of the screen, there is a huge noticeable difference between 0.20 and 0.21

I have both installed and was just playing with 0.20 earlier this evening when I decided to see if there was an update, there obviously was so I installed that and tried it and there is a most noticeable difference in how long it takes to switch between "scenes" if that's what you're calling them, i.e. build center, launch pad, radar facility etc.

It's not bothering as I feel confident they'll lower the time again like it used to be and it certainly won't keep me from playing around with 0.21

The transitions are a bit slower but the only reason I notice it (apart from the SOI glitch) is because we have to use the tracking station to end flights etc, so there are extra steps involved. The little solar system animation doesn't spin while things are loading either, but I'll sure they'll sort it out.

I think what you have to think about though, is moaning about it will not help. SQUAD are not sitting there doing nothing. All we can do is inform SQUAD about said bug and wait until they fix it.

Answer to poll, 'not really'. admittedly, yes it very annoying but i wouldn't go back.

Edited by Robbii6

I'm not too keen on the wording of the poll options but I went went with "not really" because it's not keeping me away. To be honest I haven't even really noticed a great deal of difference, it might be a touch faster loading some scene and a touch slower loading others but generally it seems fine to me. The very first day after the patch it seemed quite slow / laggy at times, I made one small change to my graphics setting (I think I turned Anti-aliasing down from 8 to 4, or something else like that but I don't remember exactly what I changed) and it's been fine since then.

The only vaguely annoying thing is the way the game seems to stop for a few seconds when switching SOIs (at least going from Kerbin to Mun, haven't been elsewhere since 0.21), not sure if that really counts as a "scene loading time" though, not that it's enough to keep me from playing anyway though. Might be more problematic for those that do long / further missions that cross multiple SOIs though I guess.

How come your options on the poll don't say - "Yes. They take long"

You are forcing me to pick from "I'll stick from 0.20", "No", And "I have no idea"

Unless you're still playing 0.19 then option 1 is "Yes. They take too long."

-----

I'm not turned away by loading times because I don't seem to be experiencing the issue as much as others; my loading times are at most 2-3 seconds and not 10-15 by any means. I can see why that would be an issue, given that KSP requires constant alternation between VAB/SPH and flight to test things.

Still, Squad will fix it eventually. I don't suppose it helps much that not everyone is suffering from the problem; I'm on a mid-range laptop and having no issues, yet high-end desktop users are complaining.

If you explode when you have to wait for 5 seconds - even 30 seconds! - when you're playing your game, be glad you never played Spore on a slow laptop. I wrote essays while waiting for it to load.

I have up to 60 second load times now, mods or no mods, where before I could take even 400 part ships from the VAB to launch in a couple of seconds. I'm not sure why it is, and I see no reason why my computer shouldn't be able to keep up.

I run a 3.1 GHz i5 dual core and 8 GB RAM, and my harddrive speed is fast enough to play Arma2 with no trouble whatsoever, which is highly unusual.

It's not directly keeping me from playing, but it does mean that R&D is bothersome and I often forget the game is running at all because I do something on the internet while the game loads and forget about it.

Instead of looking at my ship on the launchpad for 10 seconds before I can actually do anything now I look at a black screen with a loading graphic in the corner for 10 seconds and can launch my ship as soon as it appears.

The only time I notice any difference is a couple of seconds when I go to the space center scene, and considering the overhaul that is hardly surprising

Pardon? I don't recall mentioning the use of mods, and find your jab unwarranted. The tone of this poll is exclusively anti-.21.x, and I was commenting on such, as I find .21.x to be fantastic (SAS may be a touch weak, but that's not part of this discussion). As such, my entry would be that I know what I feel: .21.x has greatly improved performance, for me.

I have a vanilla install for use in all of my serious missions, which is my primarily played file, if that puts your mind at ease.

sorry if it came out that I was being rude. it's just so many people complain about issues but fail to mention any mods cause they seem to think they have little or no effect on anything.

The only thing that's keeping me away at all is the fact that my rover has even more problems not getting tumbled down a hill than it did. Something about the new terrain made the old 'Terrain imprecision makes rovers unstable' bug a much bigger problem. Seems like I hit ground segments with that problem more often, and they seem bigger too. Makes it hard to drive much of anywhere.

And the only thing worse than Hitler is Stalin. :P

KSP for me crashes with mods because it uses too much ram, even though my ram is on 54% when KSP crashes. So it can't allocate more than 2 GB which is useless for this game. I'm on .18 and on .19 because the slowness for me is too much. Also I hate the new glitchy loading animation because it's doesn't work and suddenly it spins 1000r/s. Also the texture is glitchy for it. I also hate that I have to go to Space Center which is 30 seconds then to Tracking station which is 15 seconds and then to the flight and then to end the flight. It's really slow and useless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.