The Super Thread of Questionage

i would realy enjoy knowing more about RCS and gimbaling, im somewhat new and have a few mods installed. also it seems when i try and orbit around kerth with my aposos or whatever near the muns orbit it seems i always miss and don\'t have enough fuel to do much.

(shameless plug)

you might want to take a look at http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=4137.0

(/shameless plug)

Gimballing is not really an essential thing, your first step on your road to the moon should be to get into a stable orbit. It\'s far easier to go to the moon by first establishing a parking orbit around Kerbin, wait for the right moment and then burn instead of trying to get there right 'up'.

Step 1: Get into a stable orbit.

Step 2: Learn to adjust your orbit

Step 3: Learn when and how much to burn for a trans-munar injection.

Step 4: land on the Mun.

Trying to start with step 4 is probably not accomlishing much but a lot of frustration.

DECALS ok, i know im a big noob but i dont understand about decals i haven\'t seen anything on the forums about them realy and i want MY LITTLE PONY stickers on my rocket as my kerbelnaughts fly into the sun. /oh god/ the ponys on forums epidemic is spreading /oh god/

DECALS ok, i know im a big noob but i dont understand about decals i haven\'t seen anything on the forums about them realy and i want MY LITTLE PONY stickers on my rocket as my kerbelnaughts fly into the sun. /oh god/ the ponys on forums epidemic is spreading /oh god/

The decals are not available in the game yet, they will be added sometime in the future. The decals section is just for show currently, just like the crew section.

NO PONIES FOR YOU!

(decals aren\'t in the game yet. foamy edits the textures of his parts to add the ponies)

any realy good mods/ designs that can get me to the mun?

Spacecraft exchange has a bunch, a few are pure stock and don\'t require installing mods so there shouldn\'t be compatibility issues. The Intrepid II is incredibly easy to sue and comes in the folder with the industrial flames and explosiveness pack. Just install the mod and you\'ll be good to go

Yeah, sorry. Not bashing noobs here. (Intentionally). There are people on the forums with hundreds of posts that haven\'t yet landed on the Mun, and there are people with few that have done it all. I\'m not good in public relations roles. ::) (No, really..)

I\'m very new on the game (I use it from only 3 days) so I I thought there was the possibility of using other measures. Thanks for the reply SmiteZero I will keep in mind

With some downloadable mod-packs, there are larger diameter fuel tanks and even boosters. check out http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=1633.0

Answer: Stop yourself moving sideways before you land.

Two easy ways to do this. For gross control and at speed, just point the rocket retrograde (directly toward the green circle-with-x on the navball)

When going slowly or for very fine adjustments, enable RCS (you installed RCS on your rocket, right?) and use IJKL to lightly adjust until the retrograde marker is right in the center of the navball.

Landing on the Mun is tricky, I guess nobody got it right in his first attempt. Here\'s a few things that make it easier.

1. ASAS

2. RCS

You want them in your craft that lands on the Mun. The first steers the second at the moment of touchdown and adjusts automatically for a little sideways drift. It made landing for me HEAPS easier.

Now, when I say a little I mean a little. A tiny, itty bitty little bit of little. You still have to get your rocket nearly perfectly vertical. To do that, follow these easy steps:

1. Get into a fairly stable orbit around the Mun.

It cannot be stressed enough. It\'s easiest to land from an orbit of about 10k meters. It makes landing predictable and it lets you choose the moment of descent.

2. When you\'re approaching your designated landing area, aim your rocket at the negative direction marker (that green thingie on your artificial horizon with the X inside). And PUSH.

This marker should, since you\'re in an orbit, point pretty much at the horizon. Meaning, you\'re getting slower, horizontally. Watch out that you don\'t go too low vertically or else... well, crash.

3. When the direction marker moves up to the top of the artificial horizon ball, slow down.

Your goal is to get that direction marker RIGHT onto the top of your AH ball. If it\'s the crossed out version, you\'re going down. If it\'s the empty version, you\'re going up. Either\'s fine for now as long as you have fuel and height, but this is where you want that marker.

4. Get your rocket vertical

This is critical. Put your rocket into a PERFECT (ok, as perfect as you can) vertical position, with your artificial horizon only showing its blue side and your aim dead centered at the top. This is not only crucial to get your feet down on the ground, it also affects where your engine thrusts towards when you apply thrust, and if you\'re not centered, you\'re pushing in a direction, you do NOT want that!

5. Note that your vertical speed affects how much the marker moves if you change the lateral speed

If you\'re sinking or climbing fast, your marker won\'t move a lot if you move left/right. So your goal is to 'hover', or almost hover, to see whether you\'re 'centered'.

6. RCS helps centering

RCS is your friend to get your aim marker to its center. Keep your rocket straight and push your RCS TOWARDS the marker if you\'re falling, AWAY from the marker if you\'re climbing.

7. Touch down gently

3-5m/s is ok. 10m/s is asking for trouble. 20m/s is WAY TOO FAST. If your rocket is centered, you shouldn\'t have any trouble if you apply enough thrust to get down gently.

I\'m using the SIlisko pack.

I have a rocket that uses the double-nozzle icro-RSjet, 3 of the tall large tanks, and 2 rings of solid boosters. the lander has lots of micro-RCS tanks and 8 of the large tanks, as well as 1 liquid fuel tank with the second to smallest engine and 3 lander legs. It also has a parachute.

I can easily make it to the Mun, but I can\'t make it back to Kerbin with enough fuel for descent. The parachute can\'t do it on it\'s own.

What do?

have you tryed installing a parachute mod? the LES mod works fine, but the tower needs to be seperated from the parachutes in stage. the LES is for aborting landing on surfaces while going to fast.

Hi everyone - I had a very simple question and thought this would probably be the place for it.

What do the different symbols on the navigation globe mean? There is a purple dot with three lines near it and a couple of green target-type things. If I missed it somewhere just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

the green circle: its the point of the least amount of drag. green X circle: this is the retroburn area, point your rocket direction horizon to this and fire your rockets to slow. as for the other two i don\'t know

Hi everyone - I had a very simple question and thought this would probably be the place for it.

What do the different symbols on the navigation globe mean? There is a purple dot with three lines near it and a couple of green target-type things. If I missed it somewhere just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

open green circle- where you are moving (tvv)

Green circle with lines- opposite where you are moving

Purple circle- opposite the launch pad

purple circle with lines- points toward the launch pad

the purple ones might be switched. Ill check later