Next additions to the Kerbol System?

Kerbin-JP

Any ideas about what will be coming in future updates? I'm most excited to see other star systems, but I don't expect that for a long time.

What other planets would you guys like to see? Personally, I'd like to see another planet like Kerbin or a Moon line Laythe, with liquid and a thinner atmosphere.

I'd also like to see another Planet like Jool, with many moons. Maybe Eeloo will finally get a home (even though I like it where it is currently).

...but when you get in close it has to transition smoothly into millions of pieces of debris.

Which would be loaded like "parts". Imagine bringing a +500 part mothership near that belt.

People don't seem to take that into account. I'm talking to you, lammatt. :)

Back OT, I think it'd be another (ringless) gas giant. Until the Devs figure out how to render a ring without killing our computers, there won't be any Saturn analogs.

Edited by astropapi1

Particles would not look good at many distances, using superposed rings with transparency would give a good illusion of thickness and complexity at a sufficient distance for good performance but would fail when "inside" the ring, individually managing every boulder and rock, or even individual flights of boulders and rocks in the rings, would be plain impossible.

Couldn't they use decals? I mean, rings are flat so it could work. You'd just pass right through it.

That would look terrible up close though. Even with KSP's downscaled universe, they should be a couple hundred meters thick at least.

If the rings don't look good and you can't fly around in them, what is the point of having them?

I agree that having just a flat surface for rings would be a bad idea. KSP is about exploration just as much as it is about spaceflight, so if they're going to include rings I would like it done properly or not at all.

Edited by Felsmak

Freelancer had those tiny little pebbles floating in space. They were nothing but decals - much like particles we already got with flaming out engines or the kethane-miners. Theyre basically a small 2d-picture thats always facing the camera while floating around/falling to the ground.

I bet Harvey will have it this way. Most games use them for tasks like this one.

I would honestly like to see a "Moon of a Moon" For example say and object slightly smaller than Gilly on and inclined orbit around Ike or Tylo. Please Squad...

It's a really cool idea :P

Why not just treat the ring particles like they do trees and rocks? Just floating decals. So what if you can't crash into them.. besides you be through the rings before you even knew it. Saturns rings are only 10 meters thin in areas.

Edited by Motokid600

It would make for some nice eye candy looking at a planet with rings from a moon in an inclined orbit, so long as like everyone else has said it works up close.

iirc one of the ideas knocking around a while ago was for a Nemesis like star out there with it's own system of planet like moons, not sure what happened to that idea though, but that would be a great addition.

Failing that I'd like either a Neptune analog, or some vulcanoid asteroids near the sun.

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to see a replica of our solar system.

To make gravity assists with Jool to a Neptune like planets with an interresting moon system on its own.

So: I would like to do this that haven't been done in Real life but would be interresting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.