Unity 4.2 and The Oculus Rift

Actually, I was about to plunge for an Oculus dev kit (extra cash + I wanna test it/dev for it), but when I thought about KSP, I realized a few things:

- the VAB/SPH would not work. How do you build a rocket when the parts list is on the (distorted) side? Also, the resolution is halved horizontally and the GUI is made for a horizontal screen.

- in the same spirit, flying a rocket in external view. Sure, it'd be 3D and less info, but head movements would be weird, given the focus point on the ship. Let's not even talk about clicking on a mod window :D.

- however, with all those issues: IVA would be improved tenfold with a Rift, for sure. That's the one camera set in a point, and rotating on it instead of around it.

What could be done: for external views/VAB/SPH, change from "point of reference" to "turn your head with the center view being the ship". Like a virtual screen displayed in a black room, at 1m from you. Not pretty or amazing, but it'll avoid putting the Rift off and on.

edit: of course, that's a lot of extra work for a few people (since the Rift is not *really* out yet). I'm all for it, and it'll be needed down the line (HarvesteR is a TrackIR fan, so I'm not worried about future implementation), but right now, it's a small nice-to-have compared to other features.

Edited by Neomatt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.