Is KSP for Older Users?

FrostFenex

The fact that you have to put some significant (compared to other games) effort to get anything cool or useful done in KSP is what makes it such a game. People who play games just to troll other people or get free stuff with minimal input are put off by the fact that it takes so much effort to get fulfillment out of the game. For those of us who can put in that effort, the fulfillment the game provides is that much sweeter. :)

That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Ditto! (age 43 :) )

I believe that games like KSP are the modern equivalent of erector sets. They both require imagination and creativity. If someone doesn't have any interest in building things, then they won't have any interest in these types of 'sandbox' games, regardless of age.

I get the gist of your comment, BUT, I have WAY more fun with KSP than I ever did with my erector sets, or lego's for that matter.

I told a 7 year old how to click things together. Told him if I can fly his creation to the Mun I would give him a dollar. 20 mins later he came and got me. (It fell aaprt on the launchpad before even launching ...I had pitty on him and added about 10 struts but everything else was his creation the thing took off, orbited then to the MUN... no landing gear...landed anyway. Tipped over...survived , crawled out and planted a flag. I gave him 2 dollars.

1 Thumb (Like)

53. I wish I had more time to work on my missions. Work and adult life get in the way a lot. A couple of hours maybe two evenings out of the week if I'm lucky.

I spend a lot of time just starting over. LOL. I've been to the Mun and Minmus a lot. I think I finally got a ship that can go interplanetary now. I need to bolt on some reusable landers and I will ready to test it.

I've been a geek/nerd for a long time. :D

Oh and get off my lawn. :P

Age 43, and amen to all of that!

Average IQ is fixed at 100 points. It cannot go up or down.

Depend if you modify the score requirements for the test or not.

Because of average better schools and probably more important, more computers/ internet use IQ has increased.

KSP has an higher average age of players, than most games. Guess the same is true for Civilization and even probably even follow up on the old classical nintendo games.

That not how medians work, magnemoe. It is an arbitrary definition, and is fixed. 100 is the average, with percentages above and below given specific definitions.

Such as gifted and essentially a tuber.

In promoting the game at the military and space museum, I have seen adults get just as interested in the concept as well ad their future astronauts. I like the sandbox and design aspect of this simulation. Had an 80 year old gentleman interested in the game as well. BTY, I was 20 when the Eagle landed on the moon in 1969.

KSP certainly does appeal to (slightly) older people more than, say, teenagers, because of the input-reward ratio. And because most teenagers probably think space is all about Star Wars and battles and the like. That's just my opinion, many have suggested why KSP appeals more to older people in ways far more articulate and convincingly than me!

Obviously, there are a lot of younger people who play and enjoy the game, like myself - I am 16. And a bit of a newbie as well....

I was playing Lunar Lander text only on what was at the time a cutting edge 8088 at age 12.. there was no way I could pass this one up now ;-)

The first lunar landing simulation I ever played was also text-only. Little bit different machine, though:

a1eb030d-165f-447b-a977-508cbe318108.jpg

This beaut was the HP-85 desktop calculator/computer. It was designed in my hometown, which I think explains how my dad got to bring one home for a couple days for us to play with back around 1979.

I'm not sure which program it was exactly (could it have been a version of this one? but my memory wants to convince me that we were under time pressure somehow). But I do remember crashing over and over and over. I suspect even Jeb would have got tired of all the explosions eventually.

I'm older and I have not been to Eeloo (which you have been, judging on your signature)...

It's Tylo,but thanks.I'm doing a mission which will fly to other planets,refuel with Kethane land there and such.

Back to topic,KSP is good for anyone who has the patience and intelligence to fly into orbit.I don't think that 12 year old could get into orbit or even build a stable orbit if he would be playing only things that kids play today the most (Minecraft is most popular here on Slovakia,everybody plays Minecraft here,"if you don't play it you are an idiot" - random kid from school).

EDIT:Also,everyone on my school wants to do proffesional soccer (football),or Hokey.Nobody there wants to do something like biology or be a physicist,they can't do anything other than the sport they want to do "proffesionally".And no,I'm not one of them.

Edited by EvilotionCR2

I'm older and I have not been to Eeloo (which you have been, judging on your signature)...

I neither been in any of Jool's moons nor landed at any place outside the Kerbin system except Eve and Duna. And I still have trouble with interplanetaries sometime. Haven't even launched and landed any SSTO spacecraft successfully either.

And I'm freakin' 19. To all here who agrees that KSP is indeed for older users, what would that make me?

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: KSP is the kind of game which appeals to a mature fanbase, mainly due to the fact that the ordinary 12 year old would never have the patience to learn to even orbit, even less so interplanetary travel.

Guess I'm not ordinary :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.