The Hanging Gardens of Mun - a super-crater colony COMPLETE (+bonus) [IMAGE HEAVY]

M4ck

Hello, everyone. Bobman has just finished the assembly of The Hanging Gardens of Mun colony by enabling it to(at least in theory) accommodate several Kerbals more - he's installed another habitat module atop the ladder. Again, unfortunately the remote controlled "docking" phase took place at night, but before setting everything up properly, Bobman chose to wait until the visibility was better, after a quick inspection right after anchoring.

(the ladder lights were on to make aiming easier during the final approach)

feG1GAI.jpg

yBeiNSR.jpg

A quick peek on the other side(that X-ray vision, you know...). You can also see here how the ladder is designed.

DL1KZSu.jpg

Engines detached, so everything tipped over. Now to the proper assembly:

Ch1jYZS.jpg

By the way, it looks like poor Bobman is falling apart...

WikOjLl.jpg

9MQiJBs.jpg

Everything is now connected nicely, so after pulling it up, it's time to check if the ladder+platform+railing combo actually works

KtugPe5.jpg

2DPllDx.jpg

LPmWDOv.jpg

It does.

Another view of the backside

VAig51p.jpg

Bobman posing atop the brand-new habitat

1tIRLTW.jpg

And finally, the completed colony overview

BUYjgBK.jpg

That's probably it. The colony is completed, so now Bobman will probably get really bored there, unless he decides to visit some other colonies once they are finished as well(the next one will be located either on Kerbin, Eve or Laythe, so his awesome jetpack skills won't be of much use there during construction). The Kerbal Space Agency promised to send him a small reusable vehicle capable of easily reaching Munar orbit and even escaping its gravity well should he try it, so he'll be free to visit various places on the Mun or catch a ride on any passing interplanetary ship, given his own, small refinery providing him unlimited fuel.

And all this happened with Gilbert sitting in the lander can, smiling all the time...

sylq9qK.jpg

But hey, there's more! A little preview of another project of mine. The method of connecting modules has been designed, tested and it works well, plus everything is rather sturdy, steady if rised properly and quite easy to assemble - actually even a bit easier than this one.

uvNtnPY.jpg

csN1TjI.jpg

dtOtHrm.jpg

mpIJsqb.jpg

This is amazing. I have always been a sucker for things hanging out from cliffs (I make them all the time in minecraft) but on the Mun? You deserve a medal, or at least a shot at the community spotlight.

I totally agree. Spotlight for sure.

well done!

This place is a cool location for testing Mohole explorers.

Nice :) Are you just pushing it up with nukes while the wheels keep it from falling apart due to being dragged on ground? I thought at 20m/s it could easily fall off the wall, into space.

Wait, are you going to build a floating city on Kerbin?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Something like this, but I am still thinking about Eve as well; so it'll either be the small island in the middle of the large crater on Kerbin, or the island on Eve, 1*S 23*W according to this map. Kerbin looks a lot better, with all that green/brown, sloped terrain and blue water(while Eve looks like a pink desert), but Eve is much more "exotic" in terms of a location for a base, if you know what I mean. Plus it has an even thicker atmosphere, and if OrbitalConstruction works fine, there will not be any need for that huge, multi-stage rockets to bring everything there(fuel+parts from Gilly transfered to a low Eve orbit construction yard).

Nice :) Are you just pushing it up with nukes while the wheels keep it from falling apart due to being dragged on ground? I thought at 20m/s it could easily fall off the wall, into space.

No, I'm actually using 48-7s to push the rover into the wall, then controlling the speed with the wheels. I saw someone climb the VAB this way.

sxOPzfLl.png

KAS lets it hang on the wall, or stop when it gets unstable.

It's working pretty well so far, been up and down 5 times.

Edited by Tw1

Well, that was my second guess :wink:, it also works well to enable rovers to move quickly on low gravity bodies, like Minmus(mine always used to float after a moment or two). By the way, are you using some mod to change your kerbals outfits, or I've simply missed the next official update?

Edited by M4ck

Thanks a lot. I've installed it earlier for some starmap/ground textures swapping, but never realised there are packs for new EVA suits. Now, off to (any planet/moon with atmosphere, to decide which one will be chosen for the next base) ! And to another thread, in a few days.

By the way, thank you all for the support and/or good words in appreciation of my work, I hope you will like my next project as well :)

Edited by M4ck

Finally, taking two weeks of my time and definitely a lot more launches than it should've taken, the colony has been completed!

This definitely makes my top-5 list of the coolest "Technically Challenging Outlandishness For It's Own Sake" projects, in ANY field of endeavor, not just KSP. Well done, sir!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is the sort of stuff that I love love love, not all the Whackjob type stuff. Anyone can build ginormous craft. Not everyone can use engineering and physics to build a workable first. Very well done!

This is the sort of stuff that I love love love, not all the Whackjob type stuff. Anyone can build ginormous craft. Not everyone can use engineering and physics to build a workable first. Very well done!

This guy can read my mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.