In the persistence file, i've found there's a trait to my crew members, 'badS', which only Jebediah and Ludney (very courageous, smart Kerbal) seem to have set to true (and an applicant all the way at the bottom who's name i forgot). Is this literally what the name implies, and what gives Jebediah his 'whatever situation we might be in i will always find something to smile at and to find awesome'? What determines wether Kerbals get this trait or not? I've had very courageous, smart Kerbals, very courageous, dumb Kerbals, even tried dumb non-courageous Kerbals, and still most of them will show frowny/scared/aaaargh we're gonna dieeee faces at launch, rather than wheee/yaaay/ohmygodthisissocoool faces. And i only launch at 2G's or under.

Why do my brave Kerbals still do this? I'll admit Ludney is one of the bravest members on my crew roster, but i have plenty others who were registered as really brave too.

It means badass, and yes, as I've understood that is indeed the factor that decides if they face potential death with a giant smile or not. As far as I'm aware only Jeb was badass but maybe it's just selected randomly for a very little number of Kerbals.

when you have the crew manager mod, you can create your kerbals and select the BadS option in the process. it seems to be the only thing that guarantees calm in kerbals.

My space station is crewed by nothing but smiling morons, lol

Pretty much been covered - it determines whether or not Kerbals will smile when faced with certain death. Jeb has it for sure, Bob and Bill do not have it for sure, and I imagine there's a probability of it being set based on the Kerbal's courage and stupidity attributes. I say that because I've been in my persistence file lately looking at my crew and candidates, some of them have awesome courage stats, but the only badS of the bunch is Jeb.

Doesn't the BadS trait also give them orange jumpsuits?

Only Jeb, Bill, and Bob get that honor. BadS just makes Kerbals that have it not freak out unless parts of the craft they're on explode.

Edited by Tiron

• 10 years later...
On 8/10/2013 at 12:23 PM, Tiron said:

Only Jeb, Bill, and Bob get that honor. BadS just makes Kerbals that have it not freak out unless parts of the craft they're on explode.

Its Jeb,  Bill, Bob and Valentina, with the "Veteran" trait that has the orange suit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.