Constructing a Wall climber

Wice

Really interesting :) maybe I should start using some robotics parts mod myself for that wall base of mine?... By the way, such configuration(2 sides of 2xKAS) could be used to make a pretty well working aerial-tramway-like platform - have one side anchored to the wall, other - to the ground, at about 45* angle, also create two action groups:

• 1. side retract, 2. side extend
  • 1. side extend, 2. side retract

This way you can slide it along the cables. It can go horribly wrong sometimes, but in right configuration works rather nicely :)

Edited by M4ck

Really interesting :) maybe I should start using some robotics parts mod myself for that wall base of mine?... By the way, such configuration(2 sides of 2xKAS) could be used to make a pretty well working aerial-tramway-like platform - have one side anchored to the wall, other - to the ground, at about 45* angle, also create two action groups:

• 1. side retract, 2. side extend
  • 1. side extend, 2. side retract

This way you can slide it along the cables. It can go horribly wrong sometimes, but in right configuration works rather nicely :)

Yeah, I'm working on something like that in my mind as well, thinking out how and where I'd make such a thing...

A quick peek at the Mark II of my Crawler:

cuwWadEh.jpg

Edited by Wice

Congrats! I was playing with such a thing myself the other day. I found that it helped to have the KAS units on the centerline, though. That way, when you decoupled 1 grapple to start climbing with the other, the whole vehicle didn't swing like a pendulum and toss the Kerbal off.

Congrats! I was playing with such a thing myself the other day. I found that it helped to have the KAS units on the centerline, though. That way, when you decoupled 1 grapple to start climbing with the other, the whole vehicle didn't swing like a pendulum and toss the Kerbal off.

Got any pictures of this? Before I decouple the hooks though, I move the arms in such a way that I can decouple the hooks without the craft swinging at all

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.