Can I save and reuse launch vehicles without command pods?

I searched for the answer but wasn't able to find anything. I thought this would be a faq. I would like to save some of the launch vehicles (rockets) that I have made but add different payloads too them. I can't figure out to do this with out rebuilding the vehicle in the VAB. For example... I have made a heavy lift rocket to take the core of my space station to orbit. I would like to use that same rocket to lift large payloads (primarily fuel) to the space station. However, when I detach the command pod (I'm using unmanned pods with MechJeb), I am unable to add new command pods and the new payload.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!

Edited by greensha

Detatch the rocket from the payload and put it aside below/on the side. Pick up the payload/pod and delete it, then pick a new pod/probecore from the parts list. Pick up your rocket and attach it onto the pod/core. Made sure to rename your new rocket or it'll overwrite your previous one.

Alternatively, build a lifter by starting with a probecore, save, then just open it up and build the payload on top of it.

Detatch the rocket from the payload and put it aside below/on the side. Pick up the payload/pod and delete it, then pick a new pod/probecore from the parts list. Pick up your rocket and attach it onto the pod/core. Made sure to rename your new rocket or it'll overwrite your previous one.

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that, but I can't get the rocket to attach to the new command pod/payload. Once the original command pod has been deleted I can no longer attach any components. Even if I replace the command pod with the same type of pod, I still can't connect it.

Solved! When I selected the new command pod it placed it very close to the floor of the VAB and it was obscured by support scaffolding. I didn't realise that it had done that so I selected another command pod and it treated that second pod like a regular component.

Try doing what i do.

Every time i build a rocket, i start by placing remote guidance unit, and then build my first stage around it. After Launch vehicle is done, i save it as, say, "UberLauncher1". Then i rename the vessel according to payload it will deliver, say "SS Core" for launching core of my space station, and save it.

Only now i build the actual station core. Save.

Now you have craft "SS Core" ready to launch if something goes wrong with first one, and you have "UberLauncher1" to re-use it with different payload.

Also, Giving each stage it's own guidance unit is awesome way to clean up after launches - if you leave a bit of fuel in stage, you can then change trajectory to ensure it will crash lithobrake.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.