How to Use Maneuver Nodes

When I set a maneuver node, it tells me my delta-V. What am I supposed to do with that info? How long do I burn? I assume direction is either 90 or 270 degrees, depending on whether I'm increasing or decreasing apoasis or periapsis.

Each node has 6 handles to interact with. Do I use only one? If I use one, then interact with another, does the first get nullified?

Is there a tutorial or video that explains nodes and their use?

Edited by Apollo13

Every of the 6 handles represents one of the six fundamental maneuver directions in orbital mechanics:

The green ones are prograde and retrograde vector.

The blue ones radial in and out vector.

The purple ones are the normal and antinormal vector.

If you use one of the handles, KSP will show, what effect a burn towards this direction (blue maneuver node maker on the navball) at this specific time (position of the node) of exactly that change in velocity (∆V), would have on your orbital trajectory. Every possible maneuver in KSP, from circularization burn over inclination change to hohmann transfer, can be planned/recreated using maneuver nodes.

They are very helpfull at planning maneuvers to other bodies and almost obligatory for rendevouz.

For better explanation you can look up tutorials on YouTube. Scott Manley or Kerbal Rocket School are very good.

An extreme example but possible, a retrograde maneuver that resulted in an almost capture to Laythe orbit. Note the small burn down with thrusters that completed the orbit.

w4jJ1mF.jpg

This was done using Jool and its other moons in retrograde slingshots to slow down using less fuel to line up for the capture. Also, note how close to Laythe that capture took place. You really have to fine tune such encounters to get such major changes in your slingshot encounters.

It's definitely worth taking time to play with the maneuver mode handles as well as when you plan to do the burn.

Edited by SRV Ron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.