Bundles of Asparagus Bundle!

ouch

Yep, from the guy who sends piles of fuel tanks into space I present the Bundles of Asparagus Bundle! 7 lifters completely asparagus staged, designed to be snapped to the bottom of your craft and several space bar pushes later it's in orbit! (or flung out of solar system depending on which one you use and what your lifting lol) These ships might not particularly attractive aesthetically, but I have not built anything they couldn't get into orbit so far.

Most of these lifters provides quite a kick to anything on top so Kerlington reminds you once again to "strut your stuff!".

Lets start with the biggest ones from the heavy series:

Large:

37 mainsails, 74 orange fuel tanks, 18 stages, 821 parts and 213,120 units of fuel to burn! (I think I just made Jeb cry... :wink:) It's the largest circular arrangement of orange fuel tanks that will still fit on the launch pad. And even though the part count count might seem a bit high, just remember it's all asparagus staged, and each stage drops off around 40 parts... And 2 stages drop within the first 15 seconds or so.

Heavy%20large.jpg

P.S. This can also get 10 full orange fuel tanks in orbit, just add a docking port on top and it makes for a great space station refueler. Also, check out the mass on that thing, lol.

Medium:

19 mainsails, 38 orange fuel tanks, 9 stages, 417 parts and 109,440 units of fuel.

Heavy%20Medium.jpg

Small:

7 mainsails, 14 orange fuel tanks, 3 stages, 140 parts and 40,320 units of fuel.

Heavy%20Small.jpg

And now for the more "sensible" (Well by my standards anyway, lol) medium series:

Large:

37 LVT45's, 74 striped tanks, 18 stages, 418 parts, and 26,640 units of fuel.

Medium%20Large.jpg

Medium:

19 LVT45's, 38 striped tanks, 9 stages, 208 parts, and 13,680 units of fuel.

Medium%20Medium.jpg

Smallish:

9 LVT45's, 18 striped tanks, 4 stages, 92 parts, and 6,480 units of fuel.

Medium%20Smallish.jpg

Small:

7 LVT45's, 14 striped tanks, 3 stages, 70 parts, and 5,040 units of fuel.

Medium%20Small.jpg

It should be noted that each one of these lifters can get a remote guidance unit out of the solar system.

And if all those don't fit your needs, just imagine what would happen if you started combining lifters and stack some of these together?

A couple warnings though:

I would advise not hitting undo in the editor (Ctrl-Z) or using the relaunch button while these are loaded (go back to the editor first and then launch again). This is because the game recalculates struts and fuel lines when you do this and often recalculates them wrong leading to missing fuel lines and struts. Or fuel lines and struts connected to things they are not supposed to be connected to resulting in a (spectacular) disaster. And I'll be honest there a lot of struts and fuel lines to go wrong here on all of them.

I'll likely keep adding to the bundle as I've got a few ideas for more stuff. But you can get what I have so far here:

Download the latest Bundles of Asparagus Bundle

Feel free to let me know how they work out for you.

Place the fuel lines at the bottom of the tanks. That will help in the disconnected fuel line issue.

If you place the horizontal couplers near the top of the core tanks, and use braces at the base, you should be able to eliminate having to use Seperatrons.

The fuel lines are on top on purpose, They cause the engines below to suck in more fuel and give a slight boost. You can see this while launching the heavy series at launch where the engines on the 2 stacks that are draining have slightly higher temperatures than the rest.

And I know I should use LVT30's but I don't know what crazy top heavy thing the user is going to put on there, so I figured I'd give them all the control I can, and those that would prefer thrust can simply switch out thrusters as needed.

These are awesome...but isn't it a bugger loading them from the subassembly mod? Don't you lose most of your fuel lines, struts, etc when you load it?

I have one 6 stage asparagus lifter that I have to check everytime I load it from subassembly to make sure everything is hooked back up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.