Feanor Rocketry - NEW 0.5 Stock pack released!

feanor

Hey!

Here I\'ll release my various packs and mod parts. I\'m always VERY open to critique, tips or questions - and I might even try to do some requests!

Currently, 2 packs are finished, and work on the third pack of upper stages and drop tanks is progressing.

0.5 stock pack:

vRieL.jpg

A 0.5 stock rocket on top of the normal stock size rocket -made of the same stages.. Makes for nice upper stages!

Download:

http://www./?0t6arpslo43f7z2

Always wanted to launch a subscale rocket? need a small vernier engine? Want an effecient droptank? some small boosters for liftoff?

Then download the 0.5 stock parts v0.1!

This pack is a 0.5 scale in all dimensions ( x, y, z ) of the 0.14 rocket parts. Fuel consumption, rocket engine strength, weight and aerodynamics resistance is roughly scaled to this shrink.

included are all the parts that where in 0.14 and went in the 0.15 stock folder - normal rocket fuel tank, smaller tanks, all 3 liquid engines, the solid booster, the SAS and ASAS, the RCS tank, the command pod, parachute pack, etc etc etc.

Only the struts, fuel connectors and RCS tanks arent shrunk.

I\'ve fixed some very small parts on meshes, rotated them for use in blender and shrunk them- but in every file the original creators of the textures and meshes are credited.

Keep in mind, this is pretty rough - I used some logic in calculating the volume of fuel, the scaling empty weight and the thrust of the engines, but I foresee quite a few iterations of this pack with fixed or more balanced 0.5 stock parts. Please post comments if you find that certain parts are underpowerd ( or overpowered ) compared to their stock cousins.

Also makes for nice landing stages with very precise ( and thus efficient ) thrust, made to fit on your precise payload!

2z1ro.jpg

and here for small boosters to assist liftoff aswell as for a lander stage -

9CmyY.jpg

Download:

http://www./?0t6arpslo43f7z2

ICBM pack:

2Q0MA.png

http://www./?s2sz1nh31cval4e

http://www.multiupload.com/7BBUHKMHRL

Changelog for version 0.2:

This version adds some parts, and is more closely balanced towards stock parts. I find the 2nd stage solid a very good replacement for stock solids.

-Reworked balance of various parts

-Reworked some textures / meshes

-Added new part: 2 slot baseplate.

-Added new part: Decoy mirv. Just a simple decoupler that looks like one of the MIRVS. stackable.

Some images of the decoys:

3rJeJ.jpg

Stack of decoys on the top, rest is real!

qX8wc.jpg

deploying some of them, just look at the swarm!

7NiHV.jpg

I just love images like this. Reentry, the decoys have a tiny bit more drag - Reentry at 2km/s, hurtling towards the ground - and below you, 2 other warheads are hurtling downward

in their reentry plasma..

lrwuJ.jpg

from a simple 2 stage launcher, 2 mirv pad. Only one of these warheads is real - the bottom one!

The ICBM pack is a collection of parts, most of them solids, that try to mimick various ICBMs, most focused on the Minuteman III.

It includes reentry vehicles, baseplates, decoys, a custom RCS system, ASAS, a powered payload fairing and decouplers.

Everything is possible - 1 stage single nukes, 2 stage 2 nukes / decoys, full 3 stage 6 decoys + 3 nukes with global range. Or you can slap your own together!

All the parts are balanced towards the stock parts. What you\'ll notice as soon as you use them however, is the fact that the solids are stronger then the stock one.

This is not a mistake. The stock solid is frankly, unrealistically weak. These solids are balanced ( weaker ) compared to stock liquids of this size, just like in real life.

xGuoN.png

b8ONA.png

Watch a video of a launch!

Kerbal Nuclear Missile Program - Test 2 - Thanks to Gojira for making the video!

Known bugs / wanted improvements:

-Stages need gimballing, just like the real thing. unfortunately, solids can\'t gimbal yet in KSP. Then the RCS can be downtuned aswell, and the RCS tank weight and capability reduced.

-more finetuning of Commandmodule MIRV to avoid stuttering when enabling SAS on it - Ideally, I\'d like it to have no control at all, but that screws up the RCS system aswell - Harvester, please fix the command pod torque / RCS settings!

-Bigger explosions. They\'re nukes! Gimme a sprite about 200 times the size of the normal one please harvester, it\'s needed! =P

Other packs - coming soon!

Currently in the pipeline:

Upper stages / drop tanks package.

Hells yeah, now we need massive explosion effects. 8)

Agreed! added to the wanted improvements list. Doesn\'t need to be high quality either, just a bigger version of the normal one ( think 100 times? ) would be amazing.

Also, you can go in the .cfg file of the warheads and enable or disable other tracking flare directions if you want. I can imagine some people wanting to remove them completely, others want a very big cross to pin-point position and attitude. Just play with the effects part all you want. I chose for the single one backward because it roughly looks like a reentry plasma, and you can see the warheads point toward the target when they reenter the atmosphere.

How much kilotons of Kerbal-Grade explosives each warhead has? :D

I actually thought about that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W87 was the role model - scaled up a bit because the diameter is bigger, but scaled down a bit because kerbal\'s aren\'t very good at precision nuclear engineering. I\'d say 400 - 500 kiloton per warhead.

My loading times are getting way too high. Thank you .13 update.

I was actually surprized by how small the complete package was - 2.9 megabyte. Then again, I run KSP from a SSD, so loading times are somewhat reduced - does this pack add a lot? any way I can optimize it? I\'m thinking about doing a retexture with some smarter UV mapping, and going for default 512x512 maps instead of 1024x1024...

Thanks for the praise - any tips? problems? cool screenies? Ideas for parts that should be in the pack?

Also, I think i\'ve decided for my next project. This will be more true to nature, correct real-life models, textures and behavior.

With Fuel lines available, I think I\'ll do:

- PAM in diffirent sizes, possibly radial spin-up boosters ( or RCS could be used )

-Briz-M with doughnut drop tanks

-Blok D

-Fregat ( also with drop tanks )

I\'ll probably do them in versions that fit inside 1 and 2 meter fairings, possibly 1.5 or 1.75 if there is demand.

What do you guys think? This will make it possible to actually fly realistic missions to GEO ( how high is that anyway? ) with launchers that actually look like the real thing. I\'ll start with PAM since it\'s easier, being a solid and all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W87 was the role model - scaled up a bit because the diameter is bigger, but scaled down a bit because kerbal\'s aren\'t very good at precision nuclear engineering. I\'d say 400 - 500 kiloton per warhead.

I was actually surprized by how small the complete package was - 2.9 megabyte. Then again, I run KSP from a SSD, so loading times are somewhat reduced - does this pack add a lot? any way I can optimize it? I\'m thinking about doing a retexture with some smarter UV mapping, and going for default 512x512 maps instead of 1024x1024...

Thanks for the praise - any tips? problems? cool screenies? Ideas for parts that should be in the pack?

I run KSP from an SSD too, but it still takes a long time to load. What SSD do you have?

Guest Flixxbeatz

Kerbal-Grade explosives. 50-100 Megatons each. 8)

Don\'t worry, Feanor, this is one of the *lightest* add-ons in terms of load time I\'ve yet seen.

It seems that load time is directly related to poly count; these parts look nice and simple and low-poly. (Whereas the Saturn V engine clusters, as lovely models as they are, take a VERY long time to load...)

Don\'t worry, Feanor, this is one of the *lightest* add-ons in terms of load time I\'ve yet seen.

It seems that load time is directly related to poly count; these parts look nice and simple and low-poly. (Whereas the Saturn V engine clusters, as lovely models as they are, take a VERY long time to load...)

Yeah, okay. Hell with it. *clicks download*

Was the wobble of the reentry vehicle intentional?

Nope, that\'s because of a problem with command module SAS. I wanted the capsule have 0 force, but then for some reason even RCS turning didn\'t work. If you disengage SAS, the wobble will stop.

That\'s why the RCS is so strong and there is a lot of RCS fluid - because i\'d really like the command pod to have no SAS at all. Sadly, when you engage RCS with no SAS in the command pod, RCS doesn\'t seem to have any effect, even if they show the gfx effect.

Also, Nice video! You can optimize by turning the first stage to 10-20 degrees very fast after liftoff. Also, you can back away using rcs after each individual warhead, not just after the group of 3 - That should spread them out a bit more, especially if you do this at apogee, or all of them before reentering the atmosphere.

This is a fun little addon to try and get your MIRV\'s where you want them.

As a test (while not necessarily accurate), I did do a 'scatter test' by using an addon spin booster to spin the bus after staging and then releasing the MIRV\'s in pairs, roughly 5 seconds apart just past apogee. Made for an interesting reentry with all 4 hitting nearly simultaneously, but separated by several kilometers.

This is a fun little addon to try and get your MIRV\'s where you want them.

As a test (while not necessarily accurate), I did do a 'scatter test' by using an addon spin booster to spin the bus after staging and then releasing the MIRV\'s in pairs, roughly 5 seconds apart just past apogee. Made for an interesting reentry with all 4 hitting nearly simultaneously, but separated by several kilometers.

Good to hear that! I did the same thing using RCS to spin up, although I didn\'t think of releasing in pairs- good idea.

On that note, There are other fun things to do. You can launch with a single nuke ( or 2 ) off-center - ie not balanced. That way, the missile will tilt ( in the later stages of propulsion, RCS + ASAS are able to negate it in my experience ). By using RCS to roll, and thus roll your point of instability, you can make actual gravity turns!

Also, I\'m thinking of writing up some sort of challenge after the weekend -as well as work in progress of PAM modules - about hitting certain areas of the map. This has gotten quite harder, with the turning and all. I\'ll also probably edit some cfgs of the mirv / command pod to get rid of some of the wobbling.