Beyond Apollo: AAP challenge

Very nice idea you had! I love the "what if" space programs... Expect some modest submission from me in the near future :)

I'va always been impressed by the Skylab: it's sheer size is still astonishing today, if you think it was launched with only one rocket. But there's one thing I never understood about the design: the Apollo Telescope Mount is hanging from the side, but obviously during launch it could not have been there. So, who put it in that place? A robotic arm? The astronauts on the first mission? A wizard did it???

Seriously, I never found a source about this particular aspect of the space station.

It wasn't easy to get the details, and I don't have the link to share (will look for it later when at home again), but the ATM was mounted on a hinge and deployed by the crew remotely once at the station.

Edit: Found the PDF from MSFC.

Edited by Death Engineering

Due to my extreme pickiness with creating the LEM for my Apollo style missions I went ahead and made skylab first, This space station is the first module of many to come and can house 32 kerbals already. However most of the hitchhiker cans are analogous to the workshop space of the real skylab and I won't fill each module, 6 full time kerbals are expected once I build my Saturn S IB which will ferry 6 kerbals in an Orion style command module. The solar observatory launches atop skylab and uses a pivot system to swing it around once in orbit and dock it just like the actual skylab.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by TheBobWiley

• 10 months later...
Very nice idea you had! I love the "what if" space programs... Expect some modest submission from me in the near future :)

I'va always been impressed by the Skylab: it's sheer size is still astonishing today, if you think it was launched with only one rocket. But there's one thing I never understood about the design: the Apollo Telescope Mount is hanging from the side, but obviously during launch it could not have been there. So, who put it in that place? A robotic arm? The astronauts on the first mission? A wizard did it???

Seriously, I never found a source about this particular aspect of the space station.

MSFC SKYLAB AIRLOCK MODULE : Vol. I Final Report

NASATMX-04810

contract no. N74-26321

Search for that at http://ntrs.nasa.gov ; should have the data you're looking for. (I was quite surprised, myself, to learn the airlock is only 15 k-lb vs. the 49,000 listed!)

Short answer: there was a deployment assembly to erect the ATM (Apollo Telescope Mount). Unlike the side-mounted, unprotected solar "wings," it deployed as-planned.

For a NASA doc. it's short; just 77 pages...

Ravaun

(laconic mode)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.