The evolution of KSP

Nachtwind

As there has been some discussions on this board regarding the speed of the development of KSP, as well as "when will Feature X be implemented" I chose to create a graph to show how KSP evolved and how updates blend into the big picture of KSP 1.0.

The graph has been compiled from public sources and contains some "planned" content. Of course these elements are subject to change.

I will keep this updated whenever I get my hands on some bits of information regarding planned new features and stuff that makes it into the releases.

-image removed till renewal-

08/13/13

- Initial release (up to .21.1)

08/14/13

- Updated with KSP Weekly data

10/02/13

- Some more .22 information

Edited by Nachtwind

I just want to know one thing. how did you come up with day night cycle for .21?

From the changelog:

- Time now passes in the Space Center scene, and day/night is consistent with in-flight.

What i mean that there is now a fluent transition between day and night since that version...

Wow that's pretty impressive. How did you come to the idea to make something like this?

The idea was simple. When i read some of the threads before the .21 release i realised that a lot of people lack imagination of where to put updates into the big picture. Sometimes i had the impression that people think that if you go from .2x to .2y you can have full multiplayer, a resource system and maybe 490 new parts which are of course all balanced.

So i decided to go through all sources that are known to me (Wiki and Changelogs) to see what changed in which version and create a graph that shows where each of the updates takes its place.

My aim is to keep this graph updated and to change it according to new developments. For example i see a branch "career" coming up soon that will combine Crew Managment, R&D and Resources.. but it would NOW be too early to put it that way. So in the end it will move from the current categories more in the direction of having big features (career, flight, resources..) and their branches.. but this will develop - as will the game.

Are you attempting to combat ignorance and entitlement with facts and reason?!

Good luck, buddy.

On topic: I came in sometime around .16 or .17 and I'm amazed at seeing what players had to work with in previous versions. I think it speaks to the robustness of Squad's concept that players stayed with KSP through the early versions.

Great idea. But I have to say that having the updates color coded makes it too busy. It is hard to understand the chain of events.

I think it might be a good idea to change the diagram to a swimlane timeline. Where each lane going across is a category (you can include sub categories in different shades) and the horizontal axis is a timeline that is each update. You can even make the lanes diverge as new categories develop.

Great idea. But I have to say that having the updates color coded makes it too busy. It is hard to understand the chain of events.

I think it might be a good idea to change the diagram to a swimlane timeline. Where each lane going across is a category (you can include sub categories in different shades) and the horizontal axis is a timeline that is each update. You can even make the lanes diverge as new categories develop.

Thats actually a nice idea.. i will think about it.. but personally i like this treelike structure better as it is more flexible. Please not that not all steps are strictly chronological! Something might have been implemented in 0.11 that was then part of a later change and revised in .19 again.. that would make a chronological order, in contrast to a topic focused order, more complex and problematic.

Wow, great graph you have I was actually thinking of looking for one of these later on just to see what earlier players used. I see all the time people saying they came in on .15 or .17 something like that and curious what they had to work with. I came into the picture with .18 and already a lot of progress has been made! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.