Steam or Site?

TehMaksNinja

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Your earlier post won't have shown up because you are new here and your first 6 posts have to be vetted by moderators before they appear - it's an anti-spam feature, and has kept a lot of spam off the forums!

You can use either Steam or the Kerbal Store, it's up to you. I guess that Squad will probably get more of your cash if you download from their store, on the other hand Steam is extremely reliable and convenient if you are already a Steam user.

Have fun!

Richard.

With Steam, updates are automatic. With KSP, you will need to update when available.

Steam will place the program in the steamapps/ common folder. You can install the KSP download anywhere on your computer where you can do useful editing, such as backing up everything, adding mods, copying saves, modifying files, and moving screenshots a whole lot easier.

It's your choice.

Personally, Steam, auto updates and has trading cards plus keeps track of your in game time. And backing up and modding isn't any harder, just have to go through a few more folders to get to the root ksp install folder.

So in short, STEAM!

personally I'd go with the site option. Last few updates have gone fine and I (being a megalomaniac/old school PC user) prefer to have control over things rather than suddenly getting an update thrust onto me which introduces a change that breaks my current projects and renders mods defunct. I also run several installs of KSP which are setup slightly differently; stock, slightly modded and mod-tastic, I also have all versions since I started in 0.15. I tend not to update when a new release comes out, I wait and see what the community has to say first so I totally skipped 0.21.0 and waited for 0.21.1. I'm sure that's possible on steam, just more hassle.

I also hate the idea of anything tracking how much time I spend on KSP and even more having that info broadcast to the world (I'd probably get fired)!!

I faced the same choice back in the spring - I went with Steam simply because I had a Steam account, it's always been reliable and convenient for me, and my payment info was already stored there securely. It was just a matter of clicking "Buy" and confirming a couple times.

I personally prefer steam just due to the ease of use, and the ability to easily put the game on several different computers that you may have. It's also a pretty good social tool that I like to have, mixed in with Raptr.

I also use Steam for ease of use and update speed (plus I had one time when I deleted bits and bobs accidentally, and Steam did an integrity check and sorted it all out for me).

Quite funny to see so many recommending steam after all the initial hate it got when it was first announced! :D

I'd have to side with the majority here. Steam is the way to go. It's just easier to manage, logging into Steam and downloading the game wherever you need to. Granted, getting it from the website is nearly as simple, just another couple clicks but still. Steam has the trading cards and what-not, as someone's already mentioned. There's also nice features like posting screenshots to your Steam profile via steamcloud and what-not. I do that quite a bit. Probably more than I should >_>

To those that for whatever reason(blind paranoia, some of them) don't like steam...well, they're just odd. Let them enjoy their slightly-less-convenient gaming experience.

personally I'd go with the site option. Last few updates have gone fine and I (being a megalomaniac/old school PC user) prefer to have control over things rather than suddenly getting an update thrust onto me which introduces a change that breaks my current projects and renders mods defunct. I also run several installs of KSP which are setup slightly differently

This.

Not that I dislike Steam(have used it for HL2 and such over the years), but I like the flexibility available to me by not having automatic updates, and the ability to instantly save a copy of the Zipped folder from the Squad site as a backup. May have something to do with the "old-school" mentality I have as well! :D

If you already use steam then it's a no brainer. Get it on steam. If you don't use steam then it matters very little. Best thing about it being on steam is easy screenshot upload and sharing via the community pages. Here's mine: http://steamcommunity.com/id/12332121/screenshots/ Makes it very easy to do this:

05D6731ED17D6F60E89D657B842221C405077548

(Oh god, 198 hours on record now...I only got the game like a month or two ago. Shame on me. :

KSP is a game where you'll be taking a lot of screenshots! So yeah, go steam. If you can wait for a bit it will inevitably be in a sale and be cheaper as well.

Either way you gonna love this game. It will eat up all of your spare time though. You have been warned!

This.

Not that I dislike Steam(have used it for HL2 and such over the years), but I like the flexibility available to me by not having automatic updates, and the ability to instantly save a copy of the Zipped folder from the Squad site as a backup. May have something to do with the "old-school" mentality I have as well! :D

You can disable automatic updates for games individually in steam, you know. You can also copy your KSP folder from your Steam directory to anywhere else on your computer for backup/modding/whatever, as Shuttle mentioned. This is because KSP doesn't use any Steam features. You don't even have to have Steam running to launch the game. Not many games work like this, the only other I can think of off-hand is Terraria, though I know there's got to be a few more.

Yeah, BIG vote for Steam here. Just some of the reasons I like Steam for games like this... Just as the previous poster said, very easy screen shot management. Here's mine. But one very big reason I use Steam only is because I don't have to trust yet another company with my CC number. I don't have to worry about another company on the list getting their system hacked an my card number compromised. Another reason is there is community review of products there along with some interesting conversation like in the KSP forums.

I'd get the site version, I normally prefer to update the game myself.

Steam updates the game whether you want it or not, so unless you're constantly making backups, expect a broken patch, or something to happen that renders your mods incompatible. I use dropbox or IMGUR for my screenshot management, because I mostly post on the forums here, and the IMGUR gallery options are far better suited for the forum format. Id probably use the Steam screenshot uploader, but the Steam community is complete trash, so you're better off on the forums here where people are more or less friendlier and mature.