Steam or Site?

TehMaksNinja

Thanks, that was some useful info, although I don't use Steam for KSP. :)

Though the disable auto-update 'feature' is a common fallacy that's been told over and over again, Steam never retains that setting. Unless your PC is on 24/7, Steam will revert back to the original auto-update on the next restart.

I just played the demo of this game and it is amazing! I decided to buy it, I know it is on steam, or you can buy it on the site.

Where should I buy it though?

I had no choice but to buy it from squad store since it wasnt on steam back then. But still if I were to buy KSP today I would have done the same as i always prefer a completely non restricted DRM version over steam. I know as of now that KSP on steam is pretty much unlimited, but who knows what happens in future or if steam one day goes under...

Also from experience steam usually gets game updates a bit later than if you buy it from the company itself.

Thanks, that was some useful info, although I don't use Steam for KSP. :)

Though the disable auto-update 'feature' is a common fallacy that's been told over and over again, Steam never retains that setting. Unless your PC is on 24/7, Steam will revert back to the original auto-update on the next restart.

Actually, that's not true at all. I mean, I suppose it could be a bug that some people experience, but I've disabled updates for games and had it keep those settings even after spontaneous power-outs and things. Maybe I'm just lucky >_>

I had no choice but to buy it from squad store since it wasnt on steam back then. But still if I were to buy KSP today I would have done the same as i always prefer a completely non restricted DRM version over steam. I know as of now that KSP on steam is pretty much unlimited, but who knows what happens in future or if steam one day goes under...

Also from experience steam usually gets game updates a bit later than if you buy it from the company itself.

This is a fallacy. As previously pointed out, there is NO DRM attached to the steam version. As soon as you have downloaded it, it's identical to the store version. If steam did one day go under, I'm sure there would be contingency plans for future updates, but if steam stopped working, KSP would not.

Also, the download speeds for the steam versions are phenomenal, so even if it's released later (I can't comment if it is or isn't), you'll still probably get it faster through steam as the KSP store does take a hit when new versions are released.

I had no choice but to buy it from squad store since it wasnt on steam back then (1). But still if I were to buy KSP today I would have done the same as i always prefer a completely non restricted DRM version over steam (2). I know as of now that KSP on steam is pretty much unlimited, but who knows what happens in future or if steam one day goes under...(3)

Also from experience steam usually gets game updates a bit later than if you buy it from the company itself.(4)

(1) You had the option to transfer your Store account to a steam game code to add KSP to your Steam Library.

(2) It's DRM-free on Steam. Aside from updating and gameplay tracking you can do everything without an internet connection or even a copy of Steam; the Steam version is exactly the same as the store version, only updated through Steam automatically instead

(3) That's unlikely to happen and Valve would be have to migrate to Pluto to avoid the angry gaming community anyway. Squad would probably just allow us to transfer back to the Store. If KSP stops updating before Steam dies then there's no issue - see (2)

(4) Actually it's about the same time (within a few hours which makes little difference with school/work) and Steam is faster; it's designed for downloading massive files at high speeds. One of the reasons I switched over was because the KSP Store wasn't exactly amazing at the time. I think that's changed now though :)

In other words, nope.

Site Pros: More control over your game, the money goes directly to Squad, access to the rollback feature

Site Cons: Downloading every single update can be inconvenient

Steam Pros: Automatic updates, you get the Steam service along with it if you're a new user

Steam Cons: Some minor DRM is added by Steam, less control over your game, automatic updates can be a curse if the update breaks saves, some of the money goes to Steam

Overall, I'd say site, but it's your choice.

I bought it at the site, but moved to steam shortly after it became available to get the easier and faster downloads it offered.

Steam Cons: Some minor DRM is added by Steam, less control over your game, automatic updates can be a curse if the update breaks saves, some of the money goes to Steam.

Steam adds NO DRM to KSP

How about the fact that I can run my steam copy w/o steam running, and move it where ever I want and still have it work.

As can I.

Another thing: Buying of Steam will push a game on the sales lists and put it into focus for more people - so it might be bought more often than by just mouth propaganda?

If you are from the € zone, buy it at the KSP-store and transfer it to Steam.

[The KSP-store payment converts currencies, whereas at Steam they're like "22 $ = 22 €", though 22$ ~ 16,60 €]

Edited by Tataffe

Site, because I like to symlink my saves and screenshot folders to Dropbox but not everything else (and Steam has meddled with my symlinks in the past). And because Steam doesn't like my flavour of Linux, and crashes every other heartbeat on OS-X.

But the real answer is both.

How can you have DRM issues? There aren't DRM with Steam. And you can just disable ''auto update''.

I tried to play Just Cause 2 on my laptop in offline mode and it said I can't play because there was no login information stored even though I checked the box that says remember login details.

I have a copy on both the store and steam, and I can tell you that there is no benefit within the program itself if you're using one or the other. It depends how you like to play your games. For one, alot of people enjoy the interconnectedness that comes with the Steam option; your game has the useful steam overlay, people can see when you're playing KSP, and screenshots can be directly uploaded into the steam KSP community. On the other hand, some people do not enjoy Steam. Now, this is usually for reasons such as DRM (which, for the record, KSP has no DRM in steam or non-steam versions), or they just don't like steam for whatever reason. I know my friend bought the game in the store, but he didn't really start playing it until he did the Steam Transfer (which is still a one-time option if you decide you like steam more than the store). This is all up to you, however, one way or the other, you're sure to enjoy the game if you've already given it a try and have decided to buy it! Hopefully I've at least given you some information to make your decision by.

Regards,

Dan

I tried to play Just Cause 2 on my laptop in offline mode and it said I can't play because there was no login information stored even though I checked the box that says remember login details.

But we're talking about KSP.

Definetly Steam.No bad things about it,you can disable auto update.THERE IS NO DRM.You can also revert to older version if you didn't back it up.

Steam for sure

Now with the trading cards, there is no real reason not too. You don't like trading cards? You can literally sell them so easily through steam. Most go for about 15-20 cents, but it adds up.

This is all very interesting... Steam.. Store... Steam... Store....

What REALLY confuses me is CAN I still purchase from the KSP site and get a transfer key to STEAM?

A simple (and qualified source) YES or NO will be fine..... every link that states I still can, takes me to a link that states that I should have done this prior March (May) 21st? What's the actual fact please? Basically, Can I purchase NOW via KSP and get a STEAM key? Best of both worlds, eh? :wink: