Multiplayer (what else?)

I think that what we really need in multiplayer, is a mod that allows multiple people being assigned to one or more kerbals. Because they are in the same ship, anybody can initiate a time warp without having any problems. People need to be able to eva independently. There may also be the option that they could go into 2 different crafts for apollo style missions but without time warp. There could be time warp but it would require that all other ships are in a stable orbit or unoccupied (but this isn't very important because A. there are 2 guys going down to the mun and B. who would want to miss out on mucking around on the mun). It is very easy to share ships and merge worlds but what people really want is to eva and iva together and maybe in the future have a manned mission control. It can be a great way for beginners or having an expert to help/teach with/about things like nodes, landing etc. So really what I'm trying to say is all we need at the minimum is a mod that;

- Allows Multiple simultaneous independent camera views

- Allow simultaneous control of multiple different kerbals through multiple LAN PCs

- allows input from multiple LAN PCs

- streaming data and receiving input server and client (maybe the client PC uses the mod to edit the various parameters i.e. speed, position in realtime, swell as send back control inputs + edited nodes

Again what is the point? So one player does nothing while the other player does the same as in singleplayer? Why even do such an extensive mod for that? You can achieve the same thing by streaming your video to your friend.

I can hardly think of anything more boring than playing a kerbal in a craft i dont control just to be able to run arround myself 20 minutes later until i enter again to go back doing nothing for 20 minutes again. This would be utterly boring - maybe the first time not that much - but after that ...

Also what would mission-control do? It has no purpose in KSP and if it should have one the whole game has to be drastically changed which would be a problem since if you create a new concept where you need to control 2 things at the same time while not beeing able to pause will just be annoying for single-player.

Maybe im not very optimistic but until now most post of ppl that want KSP-MP probably didnt actually think their concepts trough.

Edited by SpaceHole

sorry that I didn't make my point clear, Both players control the craft together (at the same time) but have assigned an kerbal for IVA and EVA. The EVA kerbals are controlled separately. Tasks such as creating nodes can be done be either player.

As for mission control, this isn't a part of the mod because it is already doable Telemachus (telemachus multiplayer), and consists of all the data desplayed on screens just like Houston ground control (remember the quote "Houston we have a problem") but again is completely optional and already being done. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/32870-Mission-Control-Multiplayer-kind-of

You can easily switch between kerbals by using the square bracket or what ever is used to switch between loaded ships. I do think it would be good to have a default kerbal that can be selected at launch where you can select EVA or IVA.

There may have to be some adjustments to force KSP to keep a ship loaded for when example there is a kerbal in their.

All up what I'm trying to say is that this we need a multiplayer plugin that is like a interactive kerbal live feed but is only meant for one main launch/ mission and not 5 people flying 5 different missions.

This way I can do a accurate apollo to mun mission with 3-4 friends, 1 ground/mission/houston controller, 2 lander module crew (one flies everything, the other could do docking and node planning and staging), 1 (optional) guy that flys the CMD (could double up with mission control)

And best of all it is all based on single player but with ur friends in the same rocket and no changes need to be made to time warp:)

Edited by iNimrip

Also, time warp. Enough said.

Time warp is just one of the problems you have to deal with, floating origin is another that is commonly mentioned in #kspmodders and is regarded as a lot more difficult to solve.

sorry that I didn't make my point clear, Both players control the craft together (at the same time) but have assigned an kerbal for IVA and EVA. The EVA kerbals are controlled separately. Tasks such as creating nodes can be done be either player.

As for mission control, this isn't a part of the mod because it is already doable Telemachus (telemachus multiplayer), and consists of all the data desplayed on screens just like Houston ground control (remember the quote "Houston we have a problem") but again is completely optional and already being done. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/32870-Mission-Control-Multiplayer-kind-of

You can easily switch between kerbals by using the square bracket or what ever is used to switch between loaded ships. I do think it would be good to have a default kerbal that can be selected at launch where you can select EVA or IVA.

There may have to be some adjustments to force KSP to keep a ship loaded for when example there is a kerbal in their.

All up what I'm trying to say is that this we need a multiplayer plugin that is like a interactive kerbal live feed but is only meant for one main launch/ mission and not 5 people flying 5 different missions.

This way I can do a accurate apollo to mun mission with 3-4 friends, 1 ground/mission/houston controller, 2 lander module crew (one flies everything, the other could do docking and node planning and staging), 1 (optional) guy that flys the CMD (could double up with mission control)

And best of all it is all based on single player but with ur friends in the same rocket and no changes need to be made to time warp:)

How do you control a craft together? There isnt remotely enough to do for both. And setting nodes sounds kind of boring. Not to mention that you dont do that that often. Also while setting nodes the other player has nothing to do and needs to be on the lowest time-warp.

I still dont see the difference between what you propose and 1 person playing streaming while skyping with 5 others.

I simply dont see the point also Telemachus is interresting but the its more roleplay than actually needed gameplay. Not to mention that you dont need "real multiplayer" to do it.

Sorry but i just dont see the point of this, it would be very much work not to mention maybe not even possible to implement those things. Just to have a second player wait 20 minutes - plant one node and wait again?

Also most things can be done via skype-calls combined with the mod you linked - i dont see the reason why the other player should even be in the game?

From my point of view the only potentially interresting things would be planetary operations in a heavily modded version where there is actually stuff to do with team-work like the nasa game (i forgot the name).

"Moon-Base"

Still it would be kind of odd since this is not the main focus of the game - yet it would be nice - at least i agree on that.

Edited by SpaceHole

What i dont understand is why people want MP in KSP in the first place. I can understand it for most other games but not KSP.

because they want to hang out in LKO and blow everyone else out of the sky... No fun doing that when there's no actual griefing going on, when the other guy is yourself.

Or that's the reasoning of such kids.

Ahem.. Ahem ahem ahem..

I apologize ladies and/or gentlemen of this thread but I must lock it from further discussion...For the following reasons...

This is literally the first thing on the "[Official] What Not To Suggest?" list.

That said, the fact that people want multiplayer has SURELY been noted, and is NOT one of the priorities of development in the foreseeable future.

This is a suggestion forum, it's for suggestions and discussions of suggestions. Talking about just multiplayer adds no real content to the forum and clutters up the thread list. It's not what belongs here.

I've been programmed to pretty much lock these types of threads on sight. Apologies, but it must be done for it is my duty. Nothing personal, it's just not the kind of thing we're looking for in the suggestions forum.

OP, and anyone who isn't informed, I suggest you have a read as to what kinds of things we're not looking for in the suggestion forum.

Thanks,

-M5K

Edited by M5000