Colossicon Tanker I

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This was my first large scale endeavor. I've had KSP for a week and have made a round-tip to the moon with a rover and back. I wanted to aim further and decided I needed a large tanker. I wanted my design to be extremely modular. I had plans to eventually make the tanker into an interplanetary ship.

I succeeded in getting the tanker ships into orbit with 1.5/4.0 orange tanks full.

Also, Hi everybody!

to go further, you don't really need that much fuel, this is really overdoing it, except if you need a 3-man tylo lander to jool, then this is ok, to go to duna, you only need a single launch, and at max (in my experience) a rockomax-32 tank with 1 or 2 nervas, then you've got plenty of delta-V

I was thinking of using it as a colony transport. Lots of small drop ships, some rovers, few satellites, and room for 12 kerbals and a bowling alley.

While not an efficient use of resources, might this be an efficient use of launches? The videos I've seen everyone can only get one near empty tank into space to be refueled later.

Nice job. It reminds me of a ship I built over multiple launches, looked quite similar. The only problem was, when I fired the engines up they broke off. Plus there was a fuel flow issue. One day I'm going to do it again.

to go further, you don't really need that much fuel, this is really overdoing it, except if you need a 3-man tylo lander to jool, then this is ok, to go to duna, you only need a single launch, and at max (in my experience) a rockomax-32 tank with 1 or 2 nervas, then you've got plenty of delta-V

True. But if you want to look cool, this is the way to do it! And overdoing it is the Kerbal way.

It's a texture replacement mod. Universe Replacer. You can find the Kerbin high resolution with clouds texture here, along high res textures of all the other planets and moons (with or without clouds).

Wow so what happens when you get up close though? When you start to re-enter? (and I'm sorry for going off topic; I'll drop it after this :))

Something like this?

-snip-

Pretty much, basically it lets you build a larger launch vehicle by building out and down, you don't have to control a 100+ ton weight wobbling around on top, and it distributes the weight of the payload across multiple decouplers at multiple points rather than it all having to be built on top of a single decoupler.

The only real downside is that it leaves remnants of radial decouplers on the payload, but personally I think they add a little character :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.