[1.1]Hullcam VDS - mod adopted by linuxgamer

Albert VDS

Wow, I'm surprised this thread does not have more then 10 pages!

I went ahead and did a mod review if anyone is interested and if the OP is interested in putting it on the op here ya go:

Sadface. You said Damned Robotics which no longer works with 0.21 :( Infernal Robotics darn it!! :)

Backspace is also the official keybind for the camera position/zoom reset in IVA, so it is already conflicting. I rebind Abort to Enter, since that's the largest key on the keyboard.

Also, the whole point is that you can now change the hullcam bindings yourself by editing the config file.

Edited by a.g.

I made a small addon which adds a camera to each docking port.

Here's the link, if anyone wants to test it out. Please comment if you want it added to the main mod or not.

http://www./download/yobm93muiixr1ci/HullcamDockingcam.zip

It uses ialdabaoth's module manager.

This is redundant due to Lazor Docking Cam & NavyFish's Docking Port Alignment Indicator mod

I have been chatting with Majir about the Kethane glitch, he says it is either a KSP/Unity bug or being caused by another mod. It seems to be more frequent with your mod installed and I am wondering if you could look into any possibilities?

Please see page 303 of the Kethane comments.

Thx,

elind21

This is redundant due to Lazor Docking Cam & NavyFish's Docking Port Alignment Indicator mod

Not for me, as the DPAI (while an excellent tool) doesn't actually provide a picture, and the Lazor system - even the supposedly stand-alone version - comes with stuff (including a persistent, unnecessary and IMO annoying in-game configuration menu on some screens) that I do not want. So, my thanks to the poster, and I will give his mod a try.

Not for me, as the DPAI (while an excellent tool) doesn't actually provide a picture, and the Lazor system - even the supposedly stand-alone version - comes with stuff (including a persistent, unnecessary and IMO annoying in-game configuration menu on some screens) that I do not want. So, my thanks to the poster, and I will give his mod a try.

Seconded. Also, although I haven't checked back lately (I don't use Lazor anymore except for one install for the DSL Pandora mod) but I thought the Lazor docking cameras were broken in 0.21 and were disabled?

No, It works.

Oh, cool, they fixed it then, It was bugged and didn't work in 0.21 initially.

Here's a crazy question: is there any chance of being able to change the camera's colour properties (to make it black & white, for example) and/or FOV in the config? I haven't looked into the config files yet, so apologies if it's been covered.

Love this mod. I always put one on my planes for a better sort-of-cockpit view than the IVA. Has anyone else found that leaving the ship and then coming back to it from the tracking station will mess up the hullcam action groups? I used an action group to disable the camera on my rover, left it for a day due to school, then came back and found that the action groups no longer worked, so I had to use V, which can get annoying when you're on the ground and it switches to orbit view. All my kerbals on EVA got bent 90 degrees :P

I have an idea that could probably be easy enough to implement as part of this mod, but will need some coding...

A stereo-camera for taking stereo screenshots.

How exactly to do this:

1. Implement three camera positions relative to the model -- might require multiple transforms in the model, but I believe it should be possible without.
  2. When the camera is enabled, switch to the middle camera position and work as usual.
  3. When the 'take stereo screenshot' hotkey is pressed, switch to one of the side camera positions, force a screenshot, switch to the other side position, force a screenshot again.

Assembly of the stereo images into whatever viewing format they prefer is left as an exercise for the user. Forcing a screenshot might be problematic (Can a plugin even trigger it?) but should be possible through injecting a keypress at least. It will also have numerous other uses, like automatic panorama shot creating systems, as well as an actual optical mapping mission...

• 3 weeks later...

Mod updated:

V0.2.7 25-Oct-2013

-Map bug fixed by a.g. (skybox bug remains)

-Added all parts to the tech tree.

-Added Ordan Industries Telescopes(with permission of hubbazoot and added them to Unmanned Tech.

-Added part Basic Hullcam Deluxe and to Science Tech.

-Added Aerocams to Aerodynamic Systems

-Added Kerbpro to Field Science

@Albert_VDS

I'd like you to take a look at my idea for cameras+science. I'm aware of the biome problem and I present a solution that makes programming sense (not sure if it's possible because I don't know what tools are available to KSP modders).

I have a possible solution for the Camera-Science biome problem (Maybe...)

I have an idea that could probably be easy enough to implement as part of this mod, but will need some coding...

A stereo-camera for taking stereo screenshots.

How exactly to do this:

1. Implement three camera positions relative to the model -- might require multiple transforms in the model, but I believe it should be possible without.
  2. When the camera is enabled, switch to the middle camera position and work as usual.
  3. When the 'take stereo screenshot' hotkey is pressed, switch to one of the side camera positions, force a screenshot, switch to the other side position, force a screenshot again.

Assembly of the stereo images into whatever viewing format they prefer is left as an exercise for the user. Forcing a screenshot might be problematic (Can a plugin even trigger it?) but should be possible through injecting a keypress at least. It will also have numerous other uses, like automatic panorama shot creating systems, as well as an actual optical mapping mission...

Sorry for the late response, but I think it's a great idea. I'll look into it. :)

I love that you added compatibility with LTech. I can see a great future for science in KSP.

Edit:

While testing the mods together i found out that the kerbin lights mod causes issues while using Hullcam cameras. But switching in and out of map mode fixed it.

ss2013-10-27at122424_zps3081e6dd.jpg

Welcome to the null space.

ss2013-10-27at122608_zpsf0570d79.jpg

Edited by ludsoe
Added pictures

I've been playing with stitching photos from Hullcam together with photo-stitching software, with generally good results. The software -does- ask me what the focal length of my camera is though, and I have to wonder if knowing what the virtual focal length of Hullcam is would make my results better? So I ask... what are the virtual focal lengths of the various Hullcam cameras? Thanks!

@ludsoe: Same here.

The 2nd picture looks like Kerbin is encased in a pillar of ice. :D

@AstroRick: Get the FOV of the camera(default is 60) and put it in this converter: http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/fov.html

FOV 60 = Focal Length 37.469987986050846mm or round it off to 37mm.

I haven't tried this, as I use photoshop to make panoramas, but I hope this helps.

Just found that the Romfarer lazercam [standalone] DOES work with ksp 0.22 if you can follow these steps:

1) get lazer mod camera addon for 0.22

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/lazor-cam/

2) get the OLD standalone lazer cam (or docking camera) which ever one comes with the plugindata, sound and textures folders as well as the Romfarer.dll file.

(I'm not entirely sure where i got these files from but they were in my old ksp files so if you've ever had the lasermod standalone camera addon on older versions look there.)

P.S no disrespect meant by posting this here, you're mod is great, and far more extensive in terms of its models and realistic feel, it's just currently lacking in one or two specific features i'd love to see implemented.

One being: a camera view fixable to a ground position and Two being able to lock onto targets.

• 1 month later...