[0.21.1] Toroidal Fuel Tanks v0.2.2

Omicron314

As my first published mod, I present a rather simple idea: toroidal fuel tanks! But not the wimpy kinds that look like flotation devices: these are serious-business, science-fiction-approved toruses. Recommended for any large ship on an interplanetary flight.

2guxngj.jpg

The tanks come in 3 sizes: 0.625m, 1.25m, and 2.5m.

This is a very early version, so the model and texture will most likely be redone several more times in the future.

Known Issues:

- None, so far! :)

Planned Features:

- Improved model and textures

- Hitchhiker-esque toroidal crew compartment

- Any good ideas from you!

v0.2.2

- Modified base texture and strengthened color of lines along the sides of the tanks

v0.2.1

-Polished monopropellant tank texture

v0.2:

- Improved model and texture

- Added toroidal RCS tanks

- Improved collision mesh

- Fixed placement bug

v0.1

-First release!

Plugin licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NomCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Download here!

Edited by Omicron314

I saw this on Spaceport and after clicking on it, I was sent to a search page with the first result being.. toroidal fuel tanks. So, this is legit and not actually some evil recursive joke? :P

Yes, I saw that as well. It stopped happening after I logged in to SpacePort, but I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: It should work now. :)

Edited by Omicron314

Progress report:

New texture!

o7iz4k.png

Still not quite optimal but it's an improvement over just plain white.

I've also been working on toroidal RCS tanks, but the 2.5 meter one always reverts to the 0.625 meter size outside the VAB. I'm not quite sure what's wrong, though, because the rescale factor is fine. I'm still working on it, though. :)

Hi, you mentioned that they shouldn't be used radially so if you change:

attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

to show 1,0,1,0,0

Then you will fix the issue of tricky part placement :)

Known Issues:

- The 2.5m torus will want to attach radially to parts you want to stack it onto

Also your .cfg file has no line breaks, that made me sad.

What are you talking about? Yes, it does.

[EDIT] - I learned a thing today about text editors! Apparently they are not all equal... Pics removed as not req.

It's not important - the thing works so it's a moot point, I just didn't want you to think I was talking rubbish.

I see this:

Edited by Jahulath

It's not important - the thing works so it's a moot point, I just didn't want you to think I was talking rubbish.

I see this:

JnzFzfg.jpg

instead of this:

8fzDNTN.jpg

(Hope you don't mind Nova but your mod was right there under download and you have such clean fresh layout)

The default windows editor is crap and assumes everything to use it's stupid line endings... get a better editor.

Update! Version 0.2 improves the existing model, texture, and collision mesh. It also adds toroidal RCS tanks and fixes the placement bug. I didn't keep the texture I showed before due to it's erratic-ness at the edges of the darker shades, which were especially noticeable on the larger tanks. Still not completely satisfied with it, expect further improvement in future updates! :)

Edited by Omicron314

• 2 weeks later...

Really minor update. 0.2.2 just does a bit of work on the coloration of the tanks. I am still trying to get the brushes back into Gimp (they all disappeared after I reopened the leftmost window after closing it) to improve it further. I still can't figure out the airlock/ladder thing, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I love these tanks, they make great landers/interplanetary/stations!

But I also love quite a lot of other mods, and this one takes a whopping 73MBytes!! For just 6 tanks, its not worth the strain on my RAM at the mo :sadface:

In comparison, B9 aerospace takes about the same space and contains approximately 1billion parts.

Any chance the compression can be improved? Is it the textures?

Cheers!

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.