How do I search for easter eggs when there's phantom sparkles ALL OVER the place?

As far as I know there's two ways to find easter eggs: One is by the mapsat mod, which isn't usable at the moment unless I downgrade my version of KSP, and the other is by just looking for twinkling white pixels as you fly low. I remember what the twinkle looks like because I did find one of the Mun arches that way back in version 0.19. But other than that one, and the one that can be found by just looking up historical information in Wikipedia (no spoilers here which one I mean but if you've found it you know what I mean), I've never seen any others.

The problem is that my graphics make white pixel twinkles quite a lot. Whenever looking at a polygon edge-on, the thin edge of it can make a phantom white pixel twinkle. It doesn't happen everywhere, but they happen frequently enough that at any given moment there's at least two or three of them on the screen. They appear to twinkle in the same spot for about 10-20 seconds until your view moves far enough that you're no longer looking at that particular hillside or crater-side polygon in such an edge-on way anymore, by which point there will be another twinkling pixel somewhere else, most likely. This is making it nearly impossible to visually look for easter eggs because I'm being flooded with false positives.

Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

The extra "twinkling" is caused by the terrain scatter. Go into the settings and change it to 0% and the only thing you should see on the surface is easter eggs. Be warned that some easter eggs are buried underground or floating in midair.

You might want to look into the Ordan telescope mod. It allows you to see easter eggs from orbit quite well; you can investigate any phantom sparkles before you actually decide to land there. Also note that Mapsat is compatible with 0.21.1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.