K.R.A.K reports and assignments

Kaelen

My fellow K.R.A.K. Addicts,

It may be a mildly mutinous suggestion, but I'll recommend we give until 12/9/2013 (1 week from today) for Kaelen to post a mission. If he hasn't responded, I'll assume the role of Interim Kommissioner until (A) he returns, or (B) we have a more suitable kandidate *fingers crossed*.

Bothersome Kerman will be up to fly if he's around.

@Bothersome: Please let us know if this is acceptable to you.

Cheers!

- Yar

Hey Everyone! Horribly profuse apologies for my long absence. I've had some life crises lately that have kept me away. Honestly I am surprised that you all are still interested. :) Standby for the next mission assignment.

Mission 8: How I wonder what you are...

Background: With a steady supply of fuel now available at the edge of the Kerbin system, the rest of the Kerbol system is now at our fingertips. First question: what is that insanely bright light? Second question: Can I touch it? KRAK must know! No expense will be spared to find the answers! This will likely be the largest kraft that KRAK has ever built. It will also take a long time to reach it's destination so make it count.

Primary Objectives:

1. Place a craft in low orbit around Kerbol

2. Land(?) a craft on the surface(?) of Kerbol

Secondary Objectives:

A. Bring a load of Kethane refined fuel up to the minmas station.

Parameters: Determine whether the surface of Kerbol is solid by attempting to land a craft there. Be sure that there is a craft left in orbit around Kerbol to observe the descent of the lander

Restrictions: None

Mission Commander: Bothersome

Mission Due Date:12/13/13

Please post your acceptance on this thread. You will need the Kethane mod for this mission. Here is the link in case you need it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...s-improvements"]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...s-improvements

You want to land a craft on the sun?

Is this an un-manned craft? I would hope so, else we sacrifice a Kerbal.

And your link isn't working. I'll have to install the Kethane mod first.

OK I got 0.8.1 Kethane mod. Just to keep ya posted.

Edited by Bothersome

Oh Yar, I've already got the game running. In fact, I'm in it right now doing a long burn now.

I've launched a second probe to the sun because the first one was just a DV test to see how much was gonna be needed to get below 1 million meters. I think this second probe (using 72 Xenon tanks) has enough to get low enough now. However, I do not see any math that says it's possible to land a craft on the sun without cheating. If anyone has any math on what's required to land a craft on the sun let me know. Electrics are barely able to get low enough for what I'd call close. I had to use two gravity assists from the Mun so far (first was an assist to sling out to edge of SOI of Kerbin and then an adjustment to come in behind the Mun on the way back in for another boost. This all to save fuel.).

I looked at the Kethane conversion but it looks as though the weight is more than just taking lots of Xenon from Kerbin, so I went with that option. It was still a good idea to put that mining station around Minmus, but I chose not use it for this mission.

Xenon gas will get a probe low enough but Xenon cannot be used for landing. And taking tons of liquid fuel for the landing would require A WHOLE LOT MORE FUEL in low sun orbit. No, I mean a WHOLE LOT MORE.

So landing a craft is out for me right now unless someone can come up with a nifty way to make it so. Right now, I just don't believe the math is there.

PS, I use DropBox for my files that want to share. No ads.

Edited by Bothersome

Just to clarify: the craft that "lands" on the sun does not have to have a kerbal in it. Also, the question mark after land was meant to indicate that Kerbals do not yet know if this is possible. That is why they are sending the mission. Looking forward to seeing your mission report!

BTW: It sounds like you are already past this point but it would have been totally legit for you to send a Xenon storage module to the Minmas station and convert some Kethane into xenon there for your craft. That way you wouldn't have to land.

I figured all that was legal... Else why would it have been placed there? I've got my probe's periapsis down to 150m meters now (destination orbit <1m meters), but it will require something like 26,700 (if i remember correctly on the test) dv just to bring the apoapsis down. I've estimated about 45 hours of burn time on electrics to manage this. So, I just hope I'd have enough time in real life to complete this mission for you. Landing still seems to be out of the question though. To get any decent amount of liquid fuel at such a low orbit around the sun for landing would require astronomical burn times and fuel quantities.

@Bothersome: I think you'll need about 26km/s to land; 40+km/s I you've got a high apoapse around Jool's orbit. Not to mention the thrust/weight ratio of 3-4.

"Landing" is relative, I guess. I've always been happy putting an impactor stamp on my kerbol ribbon. ;)

I'm not at the bottom (periapsis) yet, at a target periapsis of 1.2m and current alt at 450m my current speed is 52,800 and still rising.

I've had the thrust on for quite some time. My current apoapsis is 4,150m. I have 72,085 units of Xenon gas burning at 0.73 per second.

I've taken a few screenies. Not to overdo it though.

See post #91 in this thread to see the current status.

Edited by Bothersome

I dunno about an early finish, because of the excessive amount of speed (and still increasing). At altitude 121.2M meters, the gravity is 8m/s/s. Current speed about 74,500. I have approximately 25.22 hours of burn time remaining with 6 engines. Later as the fuel gets below 66% I'll drop outter tanks and be left with only 4 engines. I'd estimate about 35 hours of total burn time remaining for this mission. I can't time accelerate much because of strange forces pulling on the ship. I have to reset it with 5x time acceleration occasionally.

I can keep a situation snapshot posted here if ppl want to follow the progress.

Here is the latest status post showing as much detail as I can in a snapshot...

CurrentStatus-small.jpg

Click here for the full detail version.

Edited by Bothersome
updated link

OK I just un-coupled the last two tanks. Weight is now 13 tons. We're on our last 4 engines. Computer says we need 36 hours of burn to fully circulize the orbit. Calculations indicate we have 28 hours of fuel remaining.

It may still be possible to have enough fuel because as the fuel burns off the craft gets lighter. Anyone think we'll make it to 1M x 1M Solar Orbit?

Kaelen, are you able to see the pictures now?

Edited by Bothersome

Background: With a steady supply of fuel now available at the edge of the Kerbin system, the rest of the Kerbol system is now at our fingertips. First question: what is that insanely bright light? Second question: Can I touch it? KRAK must know! No expense will be spared to find the answers! This will likely be the largest kraft that KRAK has ever built. It will also take a long time to reach it's destination so make it count.

Primary Objectives:

1. Place a craft in low orbit around Kerbol

** Mission complete. Orbit is not perfect due to a slight in-efficiency of burn timing. Burning at 30 degrees before and continuing on through to -30 degrees pulled slightly more fuel than was calculated to need. Long burn windows was necessary because of real life needs of the operator. Smaller windows would be more efficient (closer to periapsis) but require much more time from me. Final orbit is 1095k by 21430k (slightly elliptical). Orbit period is 7 hours 16 minutes. Orbit speed is about 68400 meters per second. Surface speed is about 60000 meters per second.

2. Land(?) a craft on the surface(?) of Kerbol

** Deemed not possible - no attempt made. To land it is estimated a craft with more than 100K delta-v would be required at above orbit.

Secondary Objectives:

A. Bring a load of Kethane refined fuel up to the Minmas station.

** Mission completed as requested.

Parameters: Determine whether the surface of Kerbol is solid by attempting to land a craft there. Be sure that there is a craft left in orbit around Kerbol to observe the descent of the lander

** First probe mission was to test delta-v requirements for permanent probe. First probe was commanded into surface, but appeared to explode at contact. Suspect solid. Rate of decent extremely fast.

Restrictions: None

Mission Commander: Bothersome

Mission Due Date:12/13/13

** Mission Completed 12/07/2013 Earth time.

Link to Download save game (7z format)

Mission report as follows:

First step was to create probe that would test the needed delta-v requirements. This probe only needs to leave Kerbin's SOI so that a node can be set up to compute the DV needed to circularize the orbit. Test indicated 27600 from Kerbin height apoapsis.

Photo of DV test probe.

2013-12-04_00006.jpg

Next was to design and simulate test a craft to bring up a probe of similar design but for permanent operation around the sun. This probe would be about 80% heavier because of it would have twice the Xenon gas fuel needed to circularize the orbit. Also the craft would need a larger lift package and a liquid fuel boost system to take it to solar orbit. The liquid fuel using nuclear assist engines would be used in the slowing of orbit speed to bring the periapsis as close to the sun as possible. The lift package is designed in such a way as to not leave any space debris in orbit around Kerbin (Kerbin Clean Space Act Mandates). Space debris around the sun is acceptable because of the great distances and its extremely low likelihood of it posing a problem for any other crafts in future travels.

Photo of LSO probe in construction.

2013-12-07_00004.jpg

While the LSO probe was being constructed, a mission order was sent to Scott Kerman to fill all tanks with Kethane, convert to other fuels and fill those tanks and then top off the Kethane tanks and return to Arkeinen Station in orbit around Minmus.

Photo of Lunar Miner in orbit around Minmus.

2013-12-04_00003.jpg

Photo of Arkeinen Station coming into view.

2013-12-04_00004.jpg

Photo of successful docking to Arkeinen Station.

2013-12-04_00005.jpg

Next after this was the lift-off and orbit of the LSO Probe. It was a bright and sunny day for the local Kerbin population and we had record turnout of visitors to the KSP Space Center along with record sales for silvaneers and other swag. Signatures from previous Kerbonauts and tours were a plenty and the excitement was to the Mun. Children of all ages came to see the heaviest launch of a Kerbal made object so far. To The Stars was played on every public speaker for all to hear and sing. Imaginations soared high this day as promises were made to explore all the planets in Kerbalkind's reach and return home those secrets of the universe that all have sought and dreamed.

Photo of Lift-off from KSC of LSO Probe.

2013-12-07_00005.jpg

Photo of LSO Probe in orbit ready for ejection burn.

2013-12-05_00001.jpg

Photo of LSO Probe before liquid fuel depletion.

2013-12-05_00002.jpg

Photo of LSO Probe at separation of boost package.

2013-12-05_00003.jpg

Photo of LSO Probe at separation of outer Xenon Gas tanks.

2013-12-05_00004.jpg

Photo of LSO Probe at first solar periapsis.

2013-12-06_00007.jpg

Photo of LSO Probe at seperation of inner disposable Xenon Gas tanks.

2013-12-06_00011.jpg

Even though enough fuel was brought from Kerbin for a perfect solar oribit at an altitude of 1000K x 1000K, due to in-efficiencies in the burn cycles to save time, a slightly less than perfect orbit is obtained. This should still suffice as to it's job of collecting data and transmitting that data back to Kerbin. So far, it is determined that there is no Kethane gas in un-burned form on the surface of the sun. Only preliminary scans have been done (2 blocks). Later scientist might activate the sensor on the LSO probe to determine more conclusively if this is true.

Photo of LSO Probe in completed mission orbit around the sun.

2013-12-07_00003.jpg

Wow! That looks awesome! I will try to have the next mission posted by tonight. Sorry I am being so laggy with this. I'm still adjusting to some major life milestones right now(being an adult is time consuming).

Mission 9: A Miniature Kerbol System

Background: *HEADLINE* KRAK researchers report that Kerbol is "big...like...REALLY big"

Unfortunately we were unable to touch the biggest thing we can see; but fortunately we have broken the record for the fastest Kerbal thing ever! That makes it all worthwhile. Maybe we can touch a slightly smaller thing. The next smallest thing we've ever observed is Jool. It seems to be so big that is has as many moons going around it as Kerbol has planets. We need to study that system but it will have to be a long mission. It may take a while to learn all we need to know about Jool and its moons. We will start by building a base there...

Primary Objectives:

1. Design and launch a space station for long term survival 5 kerbals.

2. Place that station into orbit somewhere in the Jool system with a crew of 5 kerbals.

Secondary Objectives:

A. Re-synchronize the Korse Comm Satelites

B. Return Bill and Jebediah Kerman to the KSC

Parameters: Launch a station to the Jool system with a total crew of 5 kerbals. This station can be in orbit around Jool itself or around one of its moons. The station should have a full array of scientific equipment on it for running experiments while there. This should include at least one of each of the goo canister, science bay, thermometer, barometer, accelerometer, and the gravimeter. In addition, the Korse Communication Satelites have fallen out of syncronous orbit. Reposition them to be in K-sync orbit and 90 degrees apart from eachother. They each have their own propulsion system so it should be easy. If one needs refueling then the Feynman spacecraft is avaliable from the first mission.

Restrictions: May not hire any more Kerbalnauts.(This means that you will need to find a way to get poor Jeb home from his long exile)

Mission Commander: Maxton Kerman

Mission Due Date: 12/18/2013

Please post your acceptance on this thread within 24 hours.

Just a question: what exactly do you mean by 'recover Jeb'? Am I supposed to send a spaceplane and pick him up or something? And where's Bob?

PROGRESS UPDATE

I haven't had much time to do stuff this week --- exams and all that --- so all I could do was re-align the Comsat network.

Edited by Maxilica

If you go to Jeb then you should just be able to hit the recover button (mouse up to the top center of the screen) and he will come back to the KSC. Bob is currently in the tug orbiting around Eve I think. he will be a bit more of a challenge. You may need to fast forward to a good launch window.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.