Power required for docking?

I got a ship into orbit with tons of RCS fuel to act as a gas-station for another vehicle later. Got the second ship into orbit, got all the way to touching each other, and they won't link. I've turned off SAS on both ships. I'm using the APAS-69 docking port (I believe that's an add-on). The 2nd ship ran out of electrical power before they made contact. So, my question is, can a ship dock with no electrical power?

If I have to revert and put some panels on I can do that. It's good orbit practice anyway.

Thanks!

Edited by RobotSpider

With stock ports, you definitely do NOT need power on the passive vessel in docking. In fact, you don't even need any sort of control pod or probe pod. You can dock to any piece of space-junk that has a docking port on it.

(This very likely also applies to mod part docking ports as well)

There's a possibility (I have no idea about the mod) that the port could be on the wrong way and you could be trying to dock to the side that isn't for docking (I know I did it when the Sr. Docking port first came out!). AFAIK you don't need any electricity though, except for maneuveuring in the first place (unless you use RCS).

If you are out of power, RCS is offline, too - you always need power to the controlled craft in order to have any control whatsoever.

False. Only reaction wheels need power. all other control methods will work without it. Only probe cores and RGUs loose all control with no power.

That's one of the reasons I like the APAS-69 dock--it has those docking clamps/doors so it's easy to see which way its facing. So, I'm pretty sure I had them the right way 'round. Does the roll-angle matter? I thought as long as they were lined up, they would connect. Probably the best thing to do would be to use the stock parts first.

Make sure docking ports are both on the right way, if one is upside down it wont work.

Since you are using a mod part only someone familiar with the mod can tell you if it requires power though I would think that like the stock ports it does not.

You said you bumped them? How fast? If you hit too hard they will not lock, and if that is the case you will have to move at least 5m away for the ports to remagnetize.

Edit- Rhomphaia Are you sure about that? As recent as last night I lost the ability to do anything with one of my single use tugs because I forgot to put panels on it and couldn't even use RCS to deorbit it anymore.

Edited by annallia

Interestingly, I found this in the wikipedia page for the real-life APAS docking ports: "In each docking there is an active and a passive side, but both sides can fulfill either role" You can open/close the clamps/doors/panels that surround the port. Looks like I might have to close one side and open the other for it to mate up.

Edit- Rhomphaia Are you sure about that? As recent as last night I lost the ability to do anything with one of my single use tugs because I forgot to put panels on it and couldn't even use RCS to deorbit it anymore.

Just tried and it works with crewed ships, not probes.

Make sure docking ports are both on the right way, if one is upside down it wont work.

You said you bumped them? How fast? If you hit too hard they will not lock, and if that is the case you will have to move at least 5m away for the ports to remagnetize.

Good thought, but I got them together very gently. I wish I could find some documentation on the mod part. The mod pack just says it HAS the APAS-69, but there is no information on usage. Oh well.

Thanks to all for the input. I'll flag this as answered and try again tonight.

The APAS-69 is part of the kosmos mod pack. I stopped using it after having a similar experience, and also after noticing that lazor docking cam reports its alignment 90 degrees off. Way I see it, the stock docking ports are fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.