MechJeb 2 - Patch test bed release (October 10)

sarbian

Re: latest build dated 8-25-2013

I turned on docking autopilot for a ship an hour ago. autopilot is failing to dock.

Status: Holding still in Z and moving toward the docking axis at 0.0 m/s.

Errors for XYZ are mostly 0.0x with minor fluctuations.

Autopilot is NOT docking but it is doing a fantastic job of stationkeeping. There has literally been zero drift between the two ships for a solid hour and very little monoprop lost.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's using relative velocity for the XYZ error values. This is incorrect behavior. The error here is the relative distance between the axes. At this rate these two ships will achieve docked status in approximately never from now. I have the greatest confidence that their current distance of 38.1m can be maintained indefinitely.

Please forgive any overtones of sarcasm. I still have the greatest enthusiasm for the mission.

Re: latest build dated 8-25-2013

I turned on docking autopilot for a ship an hour ago. autopilot is failing to dock.

Status: Holding still in Z and moving toward the docking axis at 0.0 m/s.

I had that happen to me the last time I docked. I ended up having to turn off the docking autopilot and guide it the rest of the way in myself. The ship was stopped about 3m away from the dock, facing the right way but offset, according to Docking Port Alignment.

I had that happen to me the last time I docked. I ended up having to turn off the docking autopilot and guide it the rest of the way in myself. The ship was stopped about 3m away from the dock, facing the right way but offset, according to Docking Port Alignment.

I find giving it a little manual burst of RCS for a couple seconds seems to square it away. Occasionally I get bored waiting and just throttle up a little bit, that also seems to wake it up again.

Just got back from the store. before i left i set speed limit to a negative value on a hunch. the ship started accelerating towards the dock on RCS for a bit but then it pulled away again :(

I left it that way while I was gone. Just got back two hours later and the two ships were side by side. A little too close actually but at 0 relative momentum. sigh.

i'd hoped it would dock because the ship is a ginormous tank of ammonia and I dont have the patience. It's very sluggish.

I just had it happen to me again tonight. It locked up, wouldn't move the ship any closer to the dock. This time, I clicked on a different dock and set it as a target, and that unlocked it; the ship moved right in. I set the first dock as a target again, and it completed the docking.

I just had it happen to me again tonight. It locked up, wouldn't move the ship any closer to the dock. This time, I clicked on a different dock and set it as a target, and that unlocked it; the ship moved right in. I set the first dock as a target again, and it completed the docking.

Abu, please look over my posts again and compare that to your own experience. Do you think they're the same problem? Did you see the same behavior? Or is yours different? (I dont think I could have done what you did as the port was a Sr and the only compatible port on the station.

i have just finished 4 tests, 2 with clamp-o-tron (normal) and 2 with Sr's. Both Sr's failed to autodock, the same stop at about 2 to 3 meters out. Both on the normal docked perfectly..... Any ideas? anything we can do other than have to go manual and 'ram er in'?

Abu, please look over my posts again and compare that to your own experience. Do you think they're the same problem? Did you see the same behavior? Or is yours different? (I dont think I could have done what you did as the port was a Sr and the only compatible port on the station.

It certainly sounded similar. Even the text reported by MJ was the same. I haven't yet tried leaving it running for several hours to see if it'll eventually dock, though I was planning on doing that this morning.

wpt7BaQ.png

i have just finished 4 tests, 2 with clamp-o-tron (normal) and 2 with Sr's. Both Sr's failed to autodock, the same stop at about 2 to 3 meters out. Both on the normal docked perfectly..... Any ideas? anything we can do other than have to go manual and 'ram er in'?

It's happened to me on both the Sr. and the normal.

The docking autopilot need some tweaking but it's not the easiest part of the code to read. I looked into it a few month ago and I may be able to change a few thing (speed limit) before my trip but no promise.

Well, my test went awry. New bug. The docking autopilot tried to attach the edge of the ship's dock to the centre of the station's dock. I finished it up manually. No more time this morning to make another launch, so I'll see what happens this evening.

The docking autopilot need some tweaking but it's not the easiest part of the code to read. I looked into it a few month ago and I may be able to change a few thing (speed limit) before my trip but no promise.

No Problems.... Have a good trip.... I am going through and removing all of the Sr docking ports for now and replacing them with normal... thanks.

Any chance of getting a movable Mechjeb main tab? Not sure from searching through the other thread it sounded like it was once movable?! The current position is a bit annoying and I'd like it moved way down from its current position, either by dragging it or even by just editing the window position in some cryptic file ;) Odd is that the main window is clickable and the border lights up like the other movable windows, but you can't drag it anywhere...

cheers and have a good trip :)

Well a while ago "Iannic-ann-od" posted a way of doing it in the Chatterer thread, and then posted it in the Addon requests and support forum http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/46238-Movable-Screen-Icon

here is the what he wrote:

Chatterer icon relocation for reference or just take it and use it:

protected Rect ui_icon_pos;
private bool changing_icon_pos;

protected void draw_GUI()
{
//Icon relocation
if (changing_icon_pos == false)
{
if (GUILayout.Button("Change icon position")) changing_icon_pos = true;
}
else GUILayout.Label("Click anywhere to set new icon position");
}

public void Update()
{
//Icon relocation
if (changing_icon_pos && Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
{
ui_icon_pos = new Rect(Input.mousePosition.x - 15f, Screen.height - Input.mousePosition.y - 15f, 30f, 30f);
changing_icon_pos = false;
}
}

Maybe Sarbian might like to include this in Mechjeb :)

Smart ASS seems to try and work like the new SAS, I set 10 deg pitch for example and say the plane is at -10. MechJeb is going to pull hard until 0-ish then pitch up slowly to the desired 10 deg. That usually takes quite some time (usually 10 or so seconds) or sometimes it overshoots 10 degrees and slowly makes its way back down. Neither of these work as well as it did pre-0.21. It used to pull as hard as possible, then stick to 10, albeit control surfaces jerking and moving wildly. I like the idea of it being more gentle on controls but it isn't doing such a good job at actually holding a heading/pitch.

Well, my test went awry. New bug. The docking autopilot tried to attach the edge of the ship's dock to the centre of the station's dock. I finished it up manually. No more time this morning to make another launch, so I'll see what happens this evening.

I'm not using this patch so I guess I'm serving as a control in this experiment. IMHO the patch is not introducing any problems in docking because the issues are the same in stock MJ2.

The above behavior definitely happens in unpatched MJ2. I believe the cause is that you still have "control from here" set on the MJ part itself (which is where it defaults to when the ship spawns) instead of the docking port. If MJ is the "control from here" part, it will line itself up with the target docking port. Because it's stuck on the side of the ship, this causes the 1/2-off misalignment. Setting "control from here" to the docking port or any centrally placed command pod solves this problem, but it's a problem the patch should fix.

Unpatched MJ also has the problem a docking ship stopping indefinitely a short distance from the target. I don't know what causes this but there's an easy work-around. Disable the autopilot, tap RCS in any direction (but usually ahead is better), then reengage the autopilot. This seems to shake it out of whatever vapor lock it's gotten into.

I'm not using this patch so I guess I'm serving as a control in this experiment. IMHO the patch is not introducing any problems in docking because the issues are the same in stock MJ2.

The above behavior definitely happens in unpatched MJ2. I believe the cause is that you still have "control from here" set on the MJ part itself (which is where it defaults to when the ship spawns) instead of the docking port. If MJ is the "control from here" part, it will line itself up with the target docking port. Because it's stuck on the side of the ship, this causes the 1/2-off misalignment. Setting "control from here" to the docking port or any centrally placed command pod solves this problem, but it's a problem the patch should fix.

Unpatched MJ also has the problem a docking ship stopping indefinitely a short distance from the target. I don't know what causes this but there's an easy work-around. Disable the autopilot, tap RCS in any direction (but usually ahead is better), then reengage the autopilot. This seems to shake it out of whatever vapor lock it's gotten into.

Agreed I'm using stock and do this quite often, give it a helping hand sometimes ill even flip on the main engines for a second to get the oomph I need