LaGrangian Points of Kerbin and other bits of orbital mechanics?

Hello Kerbals!

Short-time player, first-time writer, biggest fan and all that. And I had a fairly open question:

I'm not much of a rocket scientist, but just a bit of a space flight book geek so of course some of the "iconic" objectives of space flight hold quite a bit of appeal for me. So, I wanted to start tossing some debris up into the L-points around Kerbin - only no amount of Wiki- and Forums-scrubbing revealed anything on the subject. So I was wondering: Does the game physics model entertain Lagrangian orbital mechanics? Has anyone done any work figuring out the L-points for any of the planets in Kerbol's system? I'd love to try (most likely unsuccessfully) to park some stuff at Trojan points, give Lissajous orbit a shot and the like.

Thanks!

Edited by Andr0s
Answered.

Thank you gentlemen!

Mr. Shifty, you dream-smasher :( (Sorry I didn't see the do-not-suggest list, still stumbling through forums. I think I'll still keep my fingers crossed for inclusion of L-point physics at some date, they make things so much more fun.)

~Andro

That said, it's (almost certainly) possible to set up an orbit that's so close to a Lagrangian one that it would probably take years for the difference to become significant. Especially at a point that isn't L2, since they require crazy levels of stationkeeping anyway.

It's the power of IMAGINATION. :D

@VoidPointer: But... but... no L-points means no Lissajous orbits, which are trippy-fun! (Although I think trying to set up a Lissajous in a 2-moon config would hurt my brains something awful.) Also, I want my Horseshoe orbits too! *sulk*

Since orbits are (essentially) infinitely stable, there's really no gameplay reason to even model L-points. But, I'd still like to see them just for the cool factor. :cool: But I can live without. It hasn't affected my gameplay yet anyway!

That said, it's (almost certainly) possible to set up an orbit that's so close to a Lagrangian one that it would probably take years for the difference to become significant.

How? The Kerbin-Mun L1/L2 would be about 2.2 Mm away from the Mun, which is actually just inside the Mun's sphere of influence, meaning that objects there would orbit the Mun with a period of about 22.2 hours. Since an object orbiting at a real L1 or L2 would remain stationary with respect to the Kerbin-Mun axis, it would only take minutes or seconds for the difference to become apparent.

I suppose you could kill your rotational velocity out there, point your engines at the Mun and try to do a continuous low burn to keep your altitude constant. If you have a 10 ton vessel, it would only take about 134 N of continuous thrust to stationkeep, which an LV-1 could easily manage. If it had a full FL-T200, it would take about 4.5 hours to run out of fuel.

I know discussions of this are frowned upon... :( ... but, this video got me thinking: http://youtu.be/mxpVbU5FH0s

Moons and asteroids get "trapped" at L4 and L5 anyhow. So would it not be ok to add a moon/asteroid to land on at these points for Kerbol and Jool? At least then a stationary base can be added and no game physics is broken (planets are on rails, not simulated).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.