FTL Drive MK I (MKII Pictures inside)

Nomad

KSP%202011-12-09%2022-11-49-97.PNG

Hey guys, i know it is a tad early to think about this, but i got bored and felt like i should get a head start, idk. ???

During testing, lets just say i stacked 8 together and when i lit them, a explosion ensued that caused Jeb himself to be scared... :\'(

[CURRENT USE: getting to some faraway place, maybe the sun?]

License: If you want to modify just PM me, otherwise feel free to re package this with anything else you make for it as long as I am credited.

Description: A very shiny looking piece of equipment capable of Faster Then Light travel. Optimal running condition is 25% due to the warp drive in its current state is unstable and could cause your space ship to collapse on itself, or conk out. Due to it being so unstable, it was created in a Level 5 Rocket Part manufacturing plant, the most secure part making building in the world! WARNING, WILL ACTIVATE EVEN IF DISCONNECTED FROM MAIN SHIP.

Download[V1.2][stable]: http://www./?ux8mb7itreep22l

Edit: Holy smokes!!! 1000 people have looked at this thread, that is a achievment for me XD. Thanks guys!

Edit2: Amazing! 6000 people have looked at this, i think i should definitely now make a MK II

Edited by Nomad

@ CardBoardBoxProcessor: I honestly tried to, but i can\'t export to .dae and have the model work ingame, i can only export to .obj.

However, i think for a part like this, having no smoothing group is actually fine, seeing as how it is a big bulky piece of equipment per say.

I also had the brainwave to make the FTL part a fuel tank and have a engine designed for the FTL part. What do you guys think?

For the MK II i will surely get your help for smoothing groups :)

For now, the MK I will remain in it\'s current state, however expect 1.1 in a couple hours, going to go make some KD 8)

A Lieninstriker: That is why i plan to update my first post with a fuel tank to go with this, give me a few minutes i need to upload it to dropbox.

Glad you guys are liking it, i sort of had a uneasy feeling about it ???

Preliminary tests show that the drive currently has a stress threshold of approximately 43.75% of a ship\'s given throttle position. This allows the craft to reach a velocity in excess of 35Km/s.

In addition, the test vehicle was able to completely escape Kerbol\'s gravity well.

:P

my test vehicle had a roct carrer to the upper atmosther i then started the FTL and brought the power to half and no speed up from the FTL. can you fix this

sorry for bad spelling

If you put \'power to half\', the drive provides enough thrust to break the connection between it and the fuel tank.

It seems people are having issues with the number i put as the thrust. updated to 1.2 and reduced total thrust to 1000.

Keep the complaints coming, honesty it is what shape a better part i suppose, and give me something to work off of for the MK II.

Updated post, tell me if it is better as i can\'t test it at the moment.

I have a feeling Mac\'s do not like .obj... which is a problem.

You see, when i first went about making the floatation device MKI, i realized after exporting to .dae, KSP would do what you have just told me: it does not load.

So i looked around and noticed i could export to .obj and that is what i did, the result was my first ever part in KSP and a big smile on my face.

Now, i have a feelin that either MACS support the .dae only or there is a problem with the mac version. I could be wrong, however do keep in mind i am using 3DS Max 2009 as i do not have the funds to upgrade...

Edit: Sent a PM to Harv for his input on it.

I\'m not sure what the problem is with the model, but in theory at least, there should be no problem at all loading .obj meshes with the OSX version. Both versions of the game are running the exact same loader code.

I would suspect some file path reference inside the model file, or something like that... But my first guess would be that the mod is just not correctly installed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers