Why does the universe exist?

Monkeh

By the way, any theory you make regarding the beginning of the universe is likely to be very silly and ignorant unless you're very well educated in things like quantum physics and so on. I'm not saying don't try, I'm saying that at least recognise that theories made by renowned scientists who have studied the field for years are likely to be better than yours with regards to the facts even if they sound stupid and nonsensical.

Hold on just a second here. How exactly does an expert in physical sciences have any more insight or knowledge about that which is unobservable and quite likely unknowable than anyone else?

I hate to say it, but here we see the arrogance of science. There are a "boundaries" to what can be observed either directly or indirectly and because science depends on observation that means there are boundaries to science, in fact there are MANY of them. It is true that what we can observe is useful to disqualify a broad range of explanations for those things that we cannot observe. It is also true that, as time progresses, the boundaries of what we can observe keep getting pushed further away from our proximity in time and space.

But the simple fact is, there may never come a time when we can say with full confidence: Okay, we can now observe EVERYTHING. There is absolutely nothing about which we cannot collect direct observations.

That means there will likely always be boundaries to science and that means that lighthearted speculation about the reality beyond those boundaries is no more 'ignorant" than pseudo-authorities insisting that only they are qualified to speculate about what lies beyond the boundaries of observation.

Can't ask why until you ask how. "Why" implies that there is some reason, and reasoning doesn't exist without a mind to think. Unless we find that there was some sentience that chose to create the Universe, we can't ask it why it did it. All we can look for is "how". How is "something" distinct from "nothing", is there even such a thing as "nothing", i.e., is it possible for there to be nothing at all? Once you answer that, then you can try to answer how "something" came to be. If it turns out that it came to be because of some intelligent choice, then you would have a case for asking why that intelligence made that choice.

because we observe it
The universe is created s we could ask why it has been created.

I think both of those are closer to truth than anything else proposed. The question, as stated, is not "why it was created", but "why does it exist".

It exists, quite simply, because otherwise we would not have been having this discussion. We can try to find reasoning and scientific fact, but that's the simplest truth.

In a Multiverse, a universe exists because it is capable of existing. Our universe exists because if it didn't, we would not be here. We are not the cause - but we're irrefutable proof.

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

I think both of those are closer to truth than anything else proposed. The question, as stated, is not "why it was created", but "why does it exist".

It exists, quite simply, because otherwise we would not have been having this discussion. We can try to find reasoning and scientific fact, but that's the simplest truth.

In a Multiverse, a universe exists because it is capable of existing. Our universe exists because if it didn't, we would not be here. We are not the cause - but we're irrefutable proof.

Exactly. We often ask the question "why are we here?" However, if we weren't here, there would either be someone else asking the same question or no question at all. It's difficult to explain in words, but it's put to light here.

To answer that question is the goal of science and science is still important therefore we don't have the answer to that question.

No, it's not. Science doesn't ponder questions of ultimate purpose. Never did, never will, because it can't. There's no falsiability to this question, something science can't work without. The question lies in the domain of ontology.

While it may simply be that there is no "ultimate cause" to existence, and the Big Bang (or whatever may have come "before") "just happened" for no reason, that would be deeply unsatisfying and strongly against the fundamental basis of scientific inquiry, namely the notion of cause and effect. It's also non-falsifiable as far as I can tell, and can, at best, only be a speculation.

To me, the most plausible sounding explanations for existence are those that allow for eternal recurrence; the idea that reality causes itself is a bit hard to wrap one's head around, but, as far as I can tell, provides the only solution to the age old "chicken and the egg" question of reality that doesn't require an event without a cause.

As a matter of fact, the whole universe thing makes no sense. In the human thought process, we believe that everything must be created first to exist. This creates a paradox. If the universe was created, something or someone, whatever your perspective, must have created in or initiated an event that led to it's existence. That also means they were created too and so on. Or the universe has existed and will exist indefinitely, without creation or destruction, completely breaking what humans understand as possible.

This may sound crazy, but I'm not sure that we're really capable of understanding whatever the real answer is to why the universe exists at all. I mean, like the ultimate reason that anything exists at all, may be beyond our comprehension, just as visualizing 4, 5, 6, etc. dimensional space is beyond the ability of our 3-dimensional minds, but we can describe it mathematically.

It may be that the question is meaningless, and there IS no reason. Does there HAVE to be a reason that physical laws governing a multiverse exist? What law of physics exists that says that there has to be a reason that the laws of physics exist?

The problem is that, logically, I don't see where you don't eventually come down to something irreducible that simply "just is", and that has no deeper "why?" that can be answered (there is a name for such things, anyone remember it?). You see, even religion does not answer the question, because while religion can explain why the universe and the laws of physics exist, it can't explain where God came from, or why God should be required to exist. (Thus, as an explanation for the reason for the ultimate existence of everything, I personally find religion unsatisfactory. Religion requires a more complex explanation for the origin of the universe than solely the laws of physics alone, as it requires not only the laws of physics to exist but an extremely complex universal intelligence as well. Thus, we can eliminate God as a likely explanation for the origin of the universe/physical reality via Occam's Razor. Feel free to disagree if you want, I won't be offended.)

Edited by |Velocity|

I commonly get people saying:"Oh but how are all the conditions perfect for life" and what these people dont understand is that its impossible NOT for the right conditions. The chances of the 'Goldilocks zone' and all other related factors being just right to sustain life are decided by a probability factor. That factor is infinite. The universe goes on FOREVER. Literally, there is no known end according to the current model. That means that there are WAY more that Trillions to the power of Trillions. The highest number you can think of is nothing compared to the size of the universe. Infact they dont even fit together. 'Infinite' is an abstract concept, meaning adding one to the number forever and ever. So the channce of life is basically yes. There are an infinite number of planets, each one different, maybe slightly, maybe hugely, than the last. So if every planet was slightly different, and there were infinity planets, then you have a guarantee of life.

Infinite or finite, lifeforms or just rocks and gas and dust the question can still be asked. Is there a reason for this vast expanse to exist or is it just a random collision between a couple of 'branes? Even then, why do the 'branes exist? Who or what process created them? Ad infinitum I suppose.

I realise there is lots of modern physics which is counter intuitive but this vast universe happened, of that there is little doubt, happened a long long time ago and will continue happening for vast orders of magnitude more. Seems like a lot of stuff for no reason. I'll take an accident as a reason, but with what and by whom?

The sun exists because gravity and hydrogen

The sun shines because fusion.

The sun rises because rotation

The sun dies because iron

The earth dies because expansion from sun

The universe exists because....

I don't think this is a well-formed question. It assumes that there is an intrinsic reason that the universe exists and, so far, that doesn't seem to be the case with this universe. It simply "is", there is no "why" to be answered, nor should we expect there to be.

Until you have proof for your answer to the question "Why does the universe exist?", you should probably not criticize his answer for not giving any.

And saying 'god did it' is just the same as saying 'it just exists, shut up'...

And saying 'god did it' is just the same as saying 'it just exists, shut up'...

I believe the OP said he was interested in hearing people's beliefs on the subject. Those are his.

Saying that the answer "God did it" is the same as "It just exists, shut up" implies hostility and/or ignorance that isn't necessarily there. It sounds like you have some preconceptions about religious people, that you apply to all in a sort of "blanket belief". Prejudice, I suppose.

Do not argue with religious people! They believe because they WANT to. And if someone just want something to be truth so bad, he will not listen to anything that could prove him wrong.

Religion is their personal choice, and unles they are forcing it on others, theres no reason to even care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.