The Upside Down Rocket Challange

THE CHALLANGE: You must build a spaceship that has no parts attached to the base of the command module and document its flight. At the very least to pass the challange it must leave the atmosphere (70 KM).

BONUS POINTS:

Re-enter the atmosphere (1)

Survive the landing (1)

Get into an orbit (1)

Use only stock parts (1)

Go above 3,000 KM (1)

Go above 6,000 KM (2)

Get to the mun (2)

Go above 12,000 KM (3)

Land on the mun (3)

Get into an orbit around the sun (Priceless 4)

screenshot17: My ship.

screenshot18: Jettisoned the first boosters.

screenshot19: Exited the atmosphere, Jettisoned liquid engines.

screenshot20: Jettisoned the last boosters, Time to sit and wait untill I re-enter the atmosphere.

screenshot22: My orbit.

screenshot23: Almost time to land.

screenshot24: Parachute deployed, it isnt slowing me down enough to survive :o

screenshot25: Died, my end screen.

BONUS POINTS: 2

Thats a pretty easy benchmark to beat :-[

So lets see you beat it! And if you dont you and me both :P. Have fun!

After doing some modifications I made a much better attempt. However I forgot to record it so to be fair I re-did it, remembering to record what happened.

screenshot0: My modified design, Fixing the last boosters to the ASAS, moved the SAS modules and added winglets for luck.

screenshot2: Dumping the first boosters.

screenshot3: Dumping the liquid engines after leaving the atmosphere.

screenshot4: In the previous un-recorded attempt I made a very sucsessful water landing. It was possible this couldve been a water landing...

screenshot5: But I wasnt going to risk it, I used the last boosters (meant for breaking) to try and move my landing a little.

screenshot6: .... *facepalm*

screenshot8: Coming in for the land. I can never tell what speed is too much because sometimes I survive a 13 m/s fall and other tims a 9 m/s fall kills me. Oh well, the final boosters have been placed so their the first place to make contact.

screenshot10: MADE IT! :D

BONUS POINTS: 3

A much better bench mark :).

Decided to try it.

BONUS POINTS: [glow=green,2,300]4[/glow]

[glow=green,2,300]Re-enter the atmosphere (1)

Survive the landing (1) Hey, you only said survive.

Get into an orbit (1)

Use only stock parts (1)[/glow]

Go above 3,000 KM (1)

Go above 6,000 KM (2)

Get to the mun (2)

Go above 12,000 KM (3)

Land on the mun (3)

Get into an orbit around the sun (Priceless 4)

My ship should be capable of everything on the list aside from landing on the Mun (and it might even be able to do that if you are an insanely good pilot). The command pod is kind of near the top, but there is nothing attached to the bottom of it.

Here we go. This was on a test of the last stage with real engines, the main boosters haven\'t even been made yet. Made using the Silisko variant on 0.13x2. Video when the whole thing is done. Command module is the only thing that touches the ground on liftoff. This thing is a pain to steer, RCS works as it should, but SAS and ASAS are useless because having the gimbals sit at the wrong end makes every orientation correction do the reverse of what it should. Turn on SAS and the ship immediately enters an uncontrollable somersault.

Challenge: passed

Bonuses: orbit (1), 3000k (1), 7000k (2), 12000k (3), solar orbit (4)

edit: now with more boom.

...This thing is a pain to steer, RCS works as it should, but SAS and ASAS are useless because having the gimbals sit at the wrong end makes every orientation correction do the reverse of what it should. Turn on SAS and the ship immediately enters an uncontrollable somersault.

So edit the main engines to remove the gimballing.

Yes landed on the mun. First time I have landed (upright) but I lost 2 engines and couldn\'t make it back.

THE CHALLANGE: Passed

BONUS POINTS:

Get into an orbit (1)

Go above 3,000 KM (1)

Go above 6,000 KM (2)

Get to the mun (2)

Go above 12,000 KM (3)

Land on the mun (3)

= 12 points

First image landing on the mun.

Second is the rocket and the third is shows how it is meant to land if I got back to kerbin.

Just to let you know those long tanks are just double the default ones in every way.

The four parachutes could be used on planets with thin atmospheres or planets with atmospheres as dense as kerbins but have stronger gravity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.