WASD - which direction is which button?

I\'m pretty new to this game, but one thing what really confuses me is controlling your spacecraft.

I try to use SAS as much as possible, but when I want to manually control my spacecraft, I turn it off. But it seems that the WASD buttons steer the spacecraft to a set direction (and not from your point of view). Can anyone give me some tips or insight in how the WASD buttons in this work?

Welcome to the forums!

Why wouldn\'t it steer from a set direction? I hardly ever see steering from point of view in games like this.

Using the WASD keys will spin the spacecraft in the exact same direction in space as it would anywhere.

You just need to spam the keys and get a feel for it.

You\'ll sprain your brain trying to translate from WASD to the camera. The camera\'s mainly for Pretty, with occasional moments of usefulness. When flying, clamp your eyeballs to the NavBall at the bottom. It contains the useful flight information, and your keys always move in the same direction on it.

Its tied to the navball (bottom center) - not the ship view.

Its really the only reasonable way it could work - you just use the overlaid 'wings on there to see how you are oriented in relation to the ground/horizon.