Infernal Robotics Bipedal Challenge

elind21

Objective:

Create a walking bipedal (biped means two legged) robot using stock parts and Infernal Robotics parts. Before anyone comments that this is impossible, it is completable. There are many experienced players who do this as a hobby.

For inspiration see the latter comments in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37707-0-21-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics-0-8

This challenge will close at such a time as I see fit. So do not ask, however, expect it to be before November.

Rules:

1. Must use KSP 0.21

2. Must use Infernal Robotics and Stock parts ONLY (NOTE: IR is actually required to complete the challenge)

3. Must be bipedal (for clarification: two legged)

4. No wheels (stock or mod) to be used under any circumstances

5. NO S.A.S., A.S.A.S. or reactions wheels to be used. (Torque MUST be disabled in command pods)

6. No R.C.S. stability control

7. Part Clipping is allowed

8. NO other hacks from debug menu allowed. (especially Hack Gravity)

9. Must be launched from SPH and runway

10. Editor Tools is FORBIDDEN

11. Drop (decouple) an item at launch to signify start point

Scoring:

Distancing Yourself (1pt per metre) - this is the distance you traveled from your start point up until it is impossible for you to continue (i.e. your vehicle breaks(must stop immediately) or you are unable to right yourself)

Right Way Up (10pts) - includes functional arms to right itself (requires feature in video/screenshots)

Diverse Joints (50pts) - use Hinges and Rotatrons in the design

Put your Best Foot Forward (5pts) - includes feet attached to a Hinge or Rotatron

Self Supporting (10pts) - no launch clamps or other support structures used to steady start

Drunk and Disorderly (25pts) - walking appears drunken or clumsy

How Do I Control This Thing!!! (50pts) - contraption is manned by 1-man lander can or external command seat

Too Realistic (150pts) - resembles a humanoid (or kerbaloid) in design AND walking behaviour. Must have distinguishable head, neck, arms (2), abdomen, legs(2) and feet (2).

The Innovator (100pts) - once launched and all other requirements are fulfilled, the docked to a craft and launched into space as parts of a larger mission. This is a chance for all the adventurous kind to show off their big space missions or their contraption in low gravity! (requires video, NO exceptions)

Requirements:

Either a video on YouTube or an Imgur album of screen-shots. Screen-shots required: In SPH, show design and name; on Runway upon launch, showing any support structures; walking off runway; righting self with arms (if equipped); furthest distance reached looking back toward start point with decoupled item targeted (or map view if you reached a further range) showing furthest distance reached.

High Scores:

1.Version 2 of the AT-ST - 251; Wallace

2.first prototype - 90; MarkoeZ

NOTE: Scores subject to change as more entries are submitted.

Special Category: KAS Mountain Climbing - same rules as above, except allows the use of KAS and the use of a wheeled vehicle to transport to base of mountain. Use grappling hook, winches MUST remain retracted. Distance scoring based on distance from object decoupled at base of mountain.

Edited by elind21

I don't get why no editor extensions. why would that make a difference?

Anyway, I decided to make an AT-ST, turns out it's a completely terrible design to make, who would have guessed it. Here's the best attempt so far, it's very slow going due to having to move the ankles, I should have put the controls in action groups. The walking action is truly atrocious, I couldn't make a video, but I'll try to do one for the final version. I have to alter the legs some more to make them more like the proper AT-ST.

uMtWd7h.png

Saw the challenge and was thinking of making it walk like a human with hip joints and knee joints and what not. I overthink the simplest of things.

That is what I was trying to get across. If you want to has a go...

I don't get why no editor extensions. why would that make a difference?

Anyway, I decided to make an AT-ST, turns out it's a completely terrible design to make, who would have guessed it. Here's the best attempt so far, it's very slow going due to having to move the ankles, I should have put the controls in action groups. The walking action is truly atrocious, I couldn't make a video, but I'll try to do one for the final version. I have to alter the legs some more to make them more like the proper AT-ST.

uMtWd7h.png

Is there a better word for cool? How about awesome!

Making it stand on two leg itself is a challenge. My biped can walk a few meters (don't worry about the wheels) but it's very unstable.

c3k9.png

o3z7.png

I think you should change the rules and make no restrictions, even with the mods it's not easy.

Well, i have a first prototype! Its not fast or graceful, but it works :)

Time x5 in the video, thats how slow it is :P

Im probably gonna do another attempt, perhaps a bit more humanoid, but scoring so far:

Distancing yourself - 5 meter? lol, but could have gone on a while

Self Supporting - 10 pts

Drunk and disorderly - 25 pts

How do i control this thing! - 50 pts

So about 90 points :P

Ewoks beware! Version 2 of the AT-ST is here!

IluNPtR.png

New features:

greatly improved legs with full set of knee, hip and extra ankle joints allowing the chicken-legs correct stance

regular hip joints rather than clockwork toy style double wheels

Correct mounting of legs underneath, and improved styling at base of cabin

cabin can now turn to aim at any sneaky ewoks trying to outflank it

So 111 points for distance, it could go more but it's soooooo slow and falls over a lot, so I'm not going further. It spent more time falling over than walking, controlling it is a bit like playing QWOP.

Diverse Joints (50pts)

Put your Best Foot Forward (5pts)

Self Supporting (10pts)

Drunk and Disorderly (25pts) <-- OMG, yes this one a lot lot lot!

How Do I Control This Thing!!! (50pts)

it can right itself but it does it without even needing arms, so not sure if i get those points.

total = 251

but does it get Star Wars bonus points?? If not then I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Full album of the AT-St's comedy antics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I forgot to mention this in the first thread, thank you to those who have done this already, but please write your scores and add up points in your submission. This assists greatly in determining if you are having a punt or actually submitting an entry.

Thx, elind21

Wallace, I have no idea how you got that thing to work. I can't make a chickenwalker even with 5-10 reaction wheels on it.

Do you use the speed control function? How many hotkeys? Can it maintain a walk cycle?

It would be great help as I try to perform this challenge minus the SAS and reaction wheels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.