[WIP] Apollo-like crew module (Updated download 17.2.2014)

Ledenko

Hath anyone tried this with ALCOR? It seems like they would go well together.

Jack Wolfe is using both in his post two above your own, not trying to sound like a smart ass just pointing it out. I agree though, they complement each other excellently.

This looks amazing! What mods are you using for the craft (besides alcor)

i see B9 and the Apollo-like module, but what else?

That's actually mostly it. :D I have a couple bits from Near Future (the blue capacitors) and AIES Aerospace (the orbitor's antennae), and I swiped a pair of engines from Interstellar Warp and converted them into sorta-lower-ISP-but-higher-thrust ion engines, but that's it.

The one thing a lot of people miss when making LES is they forget to put rocket port hole on top. As you see in picture, that is use to push the rocker away and flip it. All the LES in KSP community doesn't have that. So when the abort is activated, the capsule goes straight up. If rocket is in booster stage there is no way of stopping the rocket below from crashing into capsule.

The LES system pulls the capsule up and to side of rocket.

507px-Apollo_Pad_Abort_Test_-2_zps58979bfe.jpg

Ok, I think the easy part, the modeling is done:

XPJhcwm.jpg?2

Now to go lose my mind over textures :)

The one thing a lot of people miss when making LES is they forget to put rocket port hole on top. All the LES in KSP community doesn't have that.

That's not entirely true - the NovaPunch LES uses a NanoCone - a small RCS unit atop the booster, for orientation.

So when the abort is activated, the capsule goes straight up. If rocket is in booster stage there is no way of stopping the rocket below from crashing into capsule.

First of all, it's wise to include your rocket motor in the Abort action group to "shutdown engine". In fact, that should be the first command in the sequence.

Second, and more importantly, your capsule has torque. You can turn it during the abort sequence and it won't be flying straight up any more.

First of all, it's wise to include your rocket motor in the Abort action group to "shutdown engine". In fact, that should be the first command in the sequence.

That only works if you didn't have a structural failure somewhere along the rocket and still have control over the engine... if it's stuck at 100% and a decoupler was crushed, you can't switch it off.

True... but it's still wise to have it on the list. Worst case, it does nothing - but if you can still cut off the engine, you're more likely to survive the abort.

And if the engine doesn't cut off? In my opinion, anyone who's so panic-stricken that they can't tap A or D after the LES ignites and the capsule decouples, honestly deserves to collide with the still-ascending rocket. It's really simple to apply a little bit of torque to get out of the way during an abort, instead of continuing a vertical ascent.

Ledenko, this is just awesome :D you and alexustas who made the ALCOR just made my day (just found both your mods simultaneosly.) I know what I will fly around the next time :D also great to use with Sumghai's Service Module mod,as others already pointed out. Keep up that good work

Edit: Ledenko do you or mihara intend to work together in consideration of his raterprop monitor? Would be really nice to have them :D

Edited by DasBananenbrot

The original abort Idea was pull or turn one switch and the LES was pull capsule away while it turn and spun the capsule allowing it to release parachute.

Since the first 2 stages or so were solid booster engines, there is no way to deactivate them in a emergency situation. Best thing was to abort with LES having it pull capsule up and away from main rocket. In these split second actions and amount of G's astronaut would go threw there was no way to control the maneuver in a pitch or roll. Thats why the top or one of the bottom rockets on LES was tilted at a angle to give that pitch and roll around maneuver.

On Apollo LES they had that small horizontal rocket opening on top. Early Mercury capsule had one of the three rockets on the LES tilted at an angle.

The FASA LES in that mod works good. The one thats in there is the Mercury and Gemini one, both same model just different size. I use the Mercury one in my stock game and resized it bigger for my mk1-2 pod. Only thing else to tweak is putting an attach node on parachutes. The LES works very well from that mod, it will auto roll and pitch away from capsule.

I use KSPX LES, but I have to make a small separtron rocket from stock and place in on back and angle it to allow LES to rotate and flip.

That's not entirely true - the NovaPunch LES uses a NanoCone - a small RCS unit atop the booster, for orientation.

Second, and more importantly, your capsule has torque. You can turn it during the abort sequence and it won't be flying straight up any more.

Ledenko do you or mihara intend to work together in consideration of his raterprop monitor? Would be really nice to have them :D

Ledenko said nothing abut wanting or not wanting to use RasterPropMonitor so far, at least not anywhere I could see.

That said, if he wants to, I'm available to answer questions. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.