[WIP] KerbolQuest Dev Thread (Powered by KerbTown)

HoY

Razchek said he could take helmets off on demand. Right now we have it as a built in option we enable or disable through the custom seat code, but when he gets back I'll ask him

About making it a right click option whenever the kerbal is in EVA. Not sure on an eta since he's still mia :(

On another note. Next jet pack concept is this; twin jet engines, small wings, ion engine in the middle with a deplorable solar array similar to the Baka solar array that folds up inside the pack. All in, it should be about 20,000m/s of dV in atmosphere, and 7000m/s in vacuum. Thinking about a deployable heat shield to surround the pilot and pack for aero captures. This pack will rely very heavily on the fire spitter animation module, but will be a 1 part ship from the launch pad to Laythe surface, and back to Kerbin without refueling. Will also be able to land on some of the smallest moons as well with the ion engine I think.

Yes. The base for the function is written in already but it just needs to be implemented in a stand alone way.

Technically we aren't removing the helmet we are preventing it from rendering, but the game still believes its there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question, are you still using the custom kerbal model from this

video?

Because I can give you this,

jlmmAeP.png

if you want. I found the raw model on the forums(somewhere), scaled it, remodeled some parts, textured and rigged it.

It has no normal map, about 5000 polygons, diffuse texture and a specular map. Its fully rigged + facial control. Got it as a .blend.

greetings,

Themorris

Appreciate the offer but our model is an exact replica :) have him with various different suites as well.

The future of this mod is looking a little dim at the moment. For the time being its on indefinite suspension, during which time we are still working on the jet packs and dabbling with Kerbin City with nothke.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I think even when Razchek returns from his busy work schedule, the questing aspect of the mod will stay abandoned. We might work together as a group as we have to work on some slightly more elaborate Easter eggs for everyone to find, and there are literally mind blowing projects that he had in the works when he disappeared. The jet packs are not abandoned. Cheebsta moved to a new house and was having some issues with his Internet, once he's got that all settled more updates will be made. If you have specific requests or bug reports for those please post them in the jet pack dev thread :)

If the questing aspect is no longer being developed... Would it be possible for us to see what you had for the storyboard (Or at least fragments...)? I am curious as to what you guys had came up with.

(I enjoyed the mini-story the stock Kerbtown Easter-eggs kinda told... still waiting on the next one)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've mashed up all of your guy's ideas an written up most of chapter 1 of the quest. I'll finish chapter 1 later today then design the scenes and resource lists.

Kerbol Quest

Quest 1: trouble on the blue marble

Chapter 1:

Pre made Save file. Jeb is inside the command center at KSC an npc is at the bottom of the ramp with an explanation point over his head. (Scott Manley was to play this character, Admiral S. Kermin)

Interacting with him we get a voice over;

Jeb! Glad to see you. It's been a while since we last had an assignment like this, and you are the most qualified to handle it, so let me get right to it.

(Main monitor on back wall puts up picture of kerbin with red crosshairs pointing at old KSC)

We've been picking up radio transmissions from the old decommissioned space center. Nobody has been there in 3 years and our satellites are showing no trace of movement or heat signatures within 5km, so we need you to take a closer look to see what's going on. We have a jet waiting for you on the runway over here that's equipped with a new encrypted radio system, please report to us with the new radio once you arrive and we will proceed from there!

(Jeb walks to runway and boards aircraft. Fly to old KSC, land anywhere inside the valley then exit the aircraft. Interact with the radio system that is on the side of the aircraft)

Voice over admiral kerman; Jeb on your decent your onboard camera saw something odd at the top of that mountain to the north. Last time we were here there was no cave up there but now it looks like there's an opening part way up the mountain! That over hang explains why we couldn't see it with our satellites. We are going to need you to get up there and check it out. It looks too small to land a jet at, and too steep to walk or drive up the mountain. Come back and see what the boys in the lab can do for you. I heard they have something that will be just the ticket!

(Jeb flies to KSC to the Rocket Lab building, interacts with NPC. )

Voice over;

Yes, yes, mhmm. Oh right. Wait, who? Oh Jebidiah! I was told to expect your visit! And I know exactly what you need! Unfortunately our prototype had a few,, erm, bugs.. It didn't really survive its initial test flight. You know how that goes eh Jeb?

We've worked out what went wrong and made the proper changes, the thing is we don't have some of the parts we need to built the Mark 2. If you don't mind waiting we can have them all shipped here, but Admiral Kerman said you would be in a hurry.. Lets see.. Since none of us are really capable of flying anything faster than a butterfly, we need you to go collect the parts for us. Once you bring them all back here we can assemble the Mark 2 and add it to your inventory!

(Hands Jeb a disk) here are the coordinates for the Kerbinite mine. We'll tell the mining director to expect your arrival! Give me a call on your secure radio once you have retrieved the Kerbinite and I'll give you the next location!

(Board jet and fly to the mine north east of KSC. Land on the KT placed runway, walk to the mine and talk to the npc. )

Here you are Jeb, we just finished packaging it for you!

(Return to jet and use radio)

Rocket scientist: You got the Kerbinite? Great! Ok, you'll need to take that over to the low-grav refinery and just.. Oh, um, we'll there's something I forgot to mention. Jeb the Low Grav Refinery is on the Mun. See, one of the problems with the Mark 1 was that the Kessler Coils were made here, in normal gravity, and that made the thing spin out of control. Our low-grav refinery was built to handle much more precise machining jobs like what we need now.

Admiral Kerman just sent word that you've got permission to take a ship up to the refinery. He also mentioned they have a few things for you to do up there before you come home. Guess he wants to kill two birds with one stone! We've programmed the landing coordinates into the ships landing computer and told them you are on your way. See you when you get back!

(Board jet, fly to KSC, go to launch pad and board the rocket waiting there. Launch to orbit and transfer to Mun. Land at coordinates that pop up on the screen when you enter Mun SOI. Land at coordinates. The refinery has a 100 meter across landing pad with inlaid lighting, and a structure off to one side. It is built over top of a large crater with large metal beams holding it level with the lip of the crater. Some ramps lead to the mun surface)

At the entrance to the structure the NPC talks; Jeb you made it! I was so worried! Here, I'll take that kerbinite, it will take me a little while to build your Kessler coil, but I've got a problem I need you to look into while I'm doing it.

This refinery is built over top of a special crater. The meteor that hit the Mun here contained special mineral deposits that we are trying to extract, but our drill rig down below is on the fritz. Would you be able to go take care of it? I'm sure I'll be done with this by the time you get back!

(Go down below the landing pad into the crater. There is a glowing meteor nested in the crater with scaffolding all around it and a drill rig beside it, not functioning)

Talk to the NPC by the drill.

"Jeb? They send you to take a look at this piece of junk? Well, the tools are down there by the ladder, and the control panel is right over here. Good luck!

(Look at control panel. Go to tool box and grab hammer and duct tape. Go to drill and use hammer. Go to control panel and use duct tape to hold wires in. Press green button and drill starts to spin and sparks start coming off the drill bit)

Talk to NPC:

"I should have known that's what you'd do. Well, thanks a lot Jeb! See you in a month when I rotate back home!"

(Go back to top level, talk to NPC.)

"You fixed the drill? Good man! Here's your Kessler coil! Best of luck to you!

(Board rocket, return to KSC, walk to rocket lab and talk to Scientist)

Oh great! You got it! While you we're away I had a few of the other parts we were missing delivered, so just let me install this coil and the Mark 2 will be all set!

There we go, You should have the Mark 2 in your assembly buildings now.

(Jeb returns to the command center)

Admiral Kerman says: Jeb I got word that you've recieved the prototype Jet Pack? Good. You'll need to equip it on your next mission. Make sure you stick it on your plane where you can get at it and head back to that cave entrance!

(Player makes an aircraft or rocket with jet pack mounted on it somewhere then flys to old KSC and boards jet pack. Player flys from landing site to the cave entrance and lance inside the entrance. Leave jet pack and enter the large steel doors inside cave.)

Inside the mountain is hollowed out into one very large room at the end of a tunnel. Lots of computer screens and something that looks like a supercollider coiled around the outer edge of the room. A couple of scientist can be seen at the far side of the room working on their computers.

Interact with one of the scientists and dialog comes up.

"Wow, how did you manage to get in here?

This is the ending to chapter 1, a LOT of time was put into making each of the scenes, between the 6 different modelers. The Kerbinite mine is the biggest scene, as its an entire hollowed out mountain with tunnels and structures inside and a large runway and worksite with buildings and everything outside. The Low Grav Refinery is the next largest, being a large flat kerbal made object on the Mun, with multiple levels.

edit: ive also updated the Jetpack mod for 0.23 over here but dont want to needlessly bump it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.