Space station section custom key assignments / assigned to craft doing lifting

Like in the title...

Let's say for example, I am using the custom key commands in the VAB menu to toggle solar sails, turn on / off communications and science instrument functions, telemetry gathering stuff, whatever...

If I assign those functions to a particular build being used to lift a given segment into orbit to be docked or coupled to the primary station, do the key commands transfer to control at the station command module or only from the rocket they were assigned to for getting the segment there?

If I install any type of remote guidance gear (Mod I assume) for control from the ground, does that make a difference in having functionality of said feature?

Do you just turn everything on that you want for the given segment from the lifting rocket, before decoupling / undocking the rocket which put it there, just leaving the device(s) in an always on state(s) and never bother further with turning anything on or off?

Thank you for any assistance you can throw my way.

Edited by I_do_robots

Generally on Space Stations, I tend to not use key bindings because I only deploy the parts once. I tend to turn everything on and leave them. This prevents me from accidentally turning them off. Because of this I use the right click menu.

Some players like to retract their solar panels when docking, to prevent accidental breakage. Also, since antennas only extend once binding them to a key could be useful, especially if you attach lots of pretty panels.

As of remote-tech, I don't think it does anything to interfere with key bindings. The only thing is that in general, probe cores use more electricity. Additionally, they are completely dead if they run out. The only way to recover is to go send up a ship with a Kerbal to extend the panels, or do whatever needs to be done.

'Action groups' (a group assigned to a specific # key) will toggle all items assigned to that action group on each separate flight.

So, you launch 'station' where action group 1 (key #1) toggles solar panels.

You then launch 'power module', with its own solar panels toggled by action group 1 (key #1). You dock them together without using action group on 'power module' before attachment.

After you've docked, pressing key #1 (action group 1) will toggle action group 1 for ALL flights that are DOCKED/attached on your current/active flight. If you have your station's panels out, but not your 'power module' panels, pressing 1 will toggle in your station panels while extracting your power module ones, technically making them unable to be out at the same time (unless toggled manually and/or persistent file edit).

TL;DR (you're a muppet) : action groups apply to all crafts, each craft's own action groups are enabled by the current flight's clicking.

Thank you so much...I will check out all of that...Freely giving of your knowledge and experience like this is what keeps this game and community growing...Makes all the difference, keep up the great work and selfless assistance...That goes a long way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.