LADEE launch from Wallops tonight

lazarus1024

Hey, anyone vaguely in the Mid-atlantic might want to check out NASA's website. The LADEE satellite is being launched in to orbit tonight from Wallops. Supposing clear skies, and it looks like it, it should be visible for about 500-600 miles North-South and about 200-300 miles west. Granted, if you are really far away it is going to be a pinprick darned low on the horizon.

I really have to go and see a launch in person one of these days. I am about 130 miles away, but my in-laws live about 20 miles away, so I can always go and visit them for a couple of days around a launch.

Scheduled for 11:27pm EST.

OK, here is at least one source to watch the launch. I am sure there will be more than one, but if anyone out there find better coverage (like the way SpaceX does a great job on theirs compared to NASA etc.) please post it here.

SPACE.COM: http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

Edited by roosterr

It is worth watching WillHop. I used to watch as many Shuttle Launches/Landings as possible and almost never miss a SpaceX launch. The experience is even better now than before because of all that I have learned from playing KSP and related research of the subject of rocket science. In the old days I did not really pay attention to what flight ops was saying over their comm's. Now I understand most of it and it adds a ton to the launch and even is a learning experience. If there is something spoken that I dont understand, I look it up. Term's like MECO or MAX Q, I heard many times, but never bothered to understand it until I started playing KSP.

One of the few private space ports in the world is right here in Alaska, at the Kodiak Launch Complex about 120 miles south of where I live. My problem is I will need a boat or plane to get there. Although it has been very quiet there in the last few years, I wish they would launch something so we could at least see the chem trails.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.