Mining Gilly

The situation: Kerbin is running low on ore and Kethane. The Kerbstronomers have recently found an interesting moon around Eve. Your mission is now to build a rocket that can get to Gilly and mine, then come back to Kerbin.

But there are two restrictions. Due to the critically low levels of metal, you only have 250 parts at your disposal. You may build your craft in orbit, as long as it's below 250 parts. If a stage lands safely on Kerbin and you are able to retrieve it, you can recycle those parts. You may not use a launch pad from EPL, because the KSC crew thinks this is unhealthy for society. Shut up, I tried my best to come up with a reason. MJ is allowed, but not encouraged.

+1 point per Kethane brought home.

+½ a point per ore brought home.

+1 point per metal brought home.

+50 points for sending a probe to Eve while you're at it. The probe must be controllable and have some sort of purpose (Yes, sending a thermometer counts.)

+50 for assembled craft in orbit.

+25 points per retrieved debris.

+50 under 200 parts total.

-50 points for MJ.

+50 points if no nukes were used.

+250 points if only engine used in space is ion.

+50 points if all launch stage engines are SRBs.

+100 points if no mods are used except Kethane and EPL

New save must be used, or you will be disqualified.

Post screenshots of:

Tracking station before retrieving stages

Craft in orbit around Kerbin

Craft when in orbit around Gilly

Landing

Liftoff from gilly

Return to Kerbin SOI

Landing/splashdown on Kerbin

When landed on Kerbin, tanks containing ore

No MJ top 5:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

MJ top 5:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

Now, happy mining and good luck!

Edited by KvickFlygarn87

mmmh - if you bring an Extraplanetary launch pad - then people would be able to establish a mining + building system on gilly, and simply build automated cargoes to be launched from gilly to return to kerbin with the goods - if i understand the rules correctly, you are only limited to 250 parts at the initial kerbin liftoff - but what if you use what you mine on gilly to make new vessels launching from gilly ? :) (you would then be able to ferry almost as much goods as you want back to kerbin :P)

it would be inline with space scientist ideas of extraplanetary mining exploitation : launch a robotic mining system which will be able to built new spacecraft, and only ferry from earth the critical electronic components that cannot be made by those robots (very easy to launch lightweight electronic components to refill those automated factories :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.