Joysticks...

Javster

Some people recommend I use a joystick for flying planes (and even rockets) in KSP. I like the idea, but I know nothing about joysticks... Which model should I go for, is it too complex, not complex enough, is it expensive, is it compatible with KSP...?

If anyone could give me more info, I'd be grateful.

A very nice simple and cheap joystic is the Logitech 3D Extreme Pro (ridiculous name, great joystick). Has more mappable buttons than most others at the same price range ($30), setup is simple and easy, and it is durable. Highly recommend it.

What Cipher said. I use it, and while the name sounds like BS, it performs great. I've had mine for 2 years. If you do decide to get it, don't install the software included in the box, you don't need it. Just be sure to calibrate it, if you have Win7, just type in USB in the start menu search and select 'Set up USB game controllers". I personally use the WSAD keys for rockets, but i've used the joystick for things that are ridiculously powerful in the gyro department. However, for aeroplanes, it's a must. If I try to fly an aeroplane without my joystick, it'll either crash or do loop-de-loops.

Edited by Flymetothemun
Spelling/additional info

Basic, relatively cheap, and works really well.

I've got both an Extreme 3D and a Freedom 2.4 (which is basically a wireless extreme 3D with a different base and 2 fewer buttons,) and they're both quite good (Although the Freedom does have a metal trigger and throttle, and thin metal plating on the upper backplate behind the thumb buttons, while on the Extreme 3D they're plastic).

Been using the Extreme 3D lately because my battery recharger died on me (it was throwing sparks out the ventilation grill last time I tried to use it!) Seems more stable than the Freedom, which would sometimes tip if you threw it over hard enough in the right place (But then the Extreme 3D has a big (@% metal plate in the bottom of the base, which seems to be where the extra stability (and weight) derives from.)

But I cheated and put the metal trigger and backplate from my first 2.4 (which died on me after several years of use) on the Extreme 3D (the throttle wouldn't fit, different bases.)

Edited by Tiron

I simply prefer the keyboard and mouse. You might find that the joystick isn't for you. Or you may find that you like it better than a keyboard and mouse. Everyone has a playstyle.

Spaceplanes that are really pushing it weight-wise can be really, really difficult to fly with the keyboard and mouse, particularly if you're using FAR and the drag variations it introduces.

Rockets, on the other hand, you don't really need one for, I don't reckon.

Spaceplanes that are really pushing it weight-wise can be really, really difficult to fly with the keyboard and mouse, particularly if you're using FAR and the drag variations it introduces.

Rockets, on the other hand, you don't really need one for, I don't reckon.

I can see the use of joysticks for landing or docking where you need to control translations and rotations. Much easier for translation then the odd keyboard layout. A joystick, of course, is a must for flying aircraft where precision control is far more desirable then the all or nothing of the keyboard input.

Anyone with experience setting up a X-Box controller for KSP?

Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas X 49$ on amazon, was a great great buy ! Can't fly planes or space planes anymore without it... (you can even split the joystick in 2, so to have the stick separated from the the throttle handle.
What is the instrument panel and where is the page I can go to to throw money at it?

A very nice simple and cheap joystic is the Logitech 3D Extreme Pro (ridiculous name, great joystick). Has more mappable buttons than most others at the same price range ($30), setup is simple and easy, and it is durable. Highly recommend it.

Yup, that's exactly the joystick I've used for almost 10 years now.

The Thrustmaster USB joystick is what I'm going for.

I would suggest you to avoid that joystick, i have one but is lacking a HUGE feature : the axis for Rudder / Yaw control (which on the HOTAS and probably the other stick suggested above is present). It makes a big difference.

To be honest, I never thought of using a joystick. Though I do think I need one, I think I'll grab the Logitech 3D Extreme Pro. Seems like it's pretty good. I think it should help with spaceplanes and docking. Not to mention staging in general.

EDIT: Just ordered it, should be here within the week. :cool:

Edited by Slur

I can also recommend the thrustmaster T-flight. It works very well for KSP. I used to use one, but then I bought a Thrustmaster Warthog. While the warthog is almost certainly "the best joystick money can buy", it actually isn't that good for KSP since there is no "twist" rudder, you need to use actual rudder pedals, which is great for planes but annoying for rockets.

I would suggest you to avoid that joystick, i have one but is lacking a HUGE feature : the axis for Rudder / Yaw control (which on the HOTAS and probably the other stick suggested above is present). It makes a big difference.

Yeah, the reviews on amazon all say that. I'll get it anyway, and use it for games like warthunder where I barely use the rudder anyway. For most KSP flights I barely use the rudder anyway.

You wanna fly a flight sim . . . without analog rudder control.

Have fun getting killed by ME! Seriously, as a person who has lots of flight time, rudder is very important when trying to aim. Most people who go to joystick from mouse controls don't realize that. You need rudder to aim or else you won't hit crap.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.