Another Airlock Thread

I'm having a small problem with a hatch that I'm trying to make. It (mostly) works, however the kerbals do not grab onto the ladder when exiting the hatch. They exit just fine and in the proper space, then just float there outside the hatch (unless on the surface of a planet, where they get a concussion from the fall). They are able to grab and use the ladder just fine when directed to, and to re-enter the hatch.

Here's my setup in unity:

nu12.jpg

The airlock and ladder use box colliders, and both transforms are in exactly the same place. The airlock collider slightly intersects the mesh of the hatch, and the ladder mesh is slightly outside it.

So, anyone see something wrong with my setup that would cause my poor kerbals to not grab the ladder on exiting the hatch?

What I think is wrong, is that the ladder dos not intersect the mesh. What I have gathered is that ladder need to intersect the collider so KSP know where the ladder is.

I increased the size of the box collider for the ladder so it intersected the part collider a little. This helped some, in that now they grab the ladder on the first exit, but they still don't on subsequent exits. Not really a huge deal I guess, just odd. If I hit "F" really quick after sending them on EVA they grab the ladder before they fall.

I increased the size of the box collider for the ladder so it intersected the part collider a little. This helped some, in that now they grab the ladder on the first exit, but they still don't on subsequent exits. Not really a huge deal I guess, just odd. If I hit "F" really quick after sending them on EVA they grab the ladder before they fall.

This seems to be a bug in the game, because you can test the stock pods and they also exhibit this behavior at times. Its really a matter of tweaking the alignment of the colliders until its just right for your application. Or sometimes.. just right "enough" :)

This seems to be a bug in the game, because you can test the stock pods and they also exhibit this behavior at times. Its really a matter of tweaking the alignment of the colliders until its just right for your application. Or sometimes.. just right "enough" :)

I was just coming to mention this. I just tried out a bunch of the command pods and the same thing is happening with them. I guess Jeb's just gonna have to get headaches when he EVA's while landed. At least it's not my fault :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.