Atomic Rocket Covering - How do I stop it destroying parts when ejected?

Something I've found slightly restricting when making interplanetary probes that don't require refueling/docking is when in staging if you set up one atomic rocket as the central piece, when it shoots off its covering, that can smash into other parts of the rocket and mess things up such as destroy other atomic rockets placed radially.

I do sometimes try to get around this with just have atomic rockets placed radially but it puzzles me why I seem to only find this problem with the atomic rocket and I don't understand why the coverings need to be shot off so fast as to put a dent I can't buff in my crafts. :huh:

Edited by CosmicScientist

You can spin the fairings around with holding down shift and using 'q' and 'e'. Make the seams of the fairings point outwards, so if you have a 4 stack of engines then the seams all point outwards in an 'x' shape.

Yes, it is annoying, but if you position the fairings right then you can avoid problems.

but it puzzles me why I seem to only find this problem with the atomic rocket

Because it's the only engine which launches its fairing sideways.

I don't understand why the coverings need to be shot off so fast as to put a dent I can't buff in my crafts.

Well it's not as much that they 'need to' as that they're simply designed that way. You're the one putting them in a position where they'll destroy other parts of your ship. Beyond what has already been suggested by Monkeh and Temstar, you can also build your launch vehicle around your payload, rather than under it, that way the fairings don't appear in the first place.

Here's a picture of a launcher built around a interplanetary drive stage and the resulting interplanetary craft.

jbuiB0O.jpg

DSytll0.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.