First Pic and a weird lag question

Hi all. Here is my pathetic attempt at a space station. I finally got to of the big Rockomax tanks bolted to it and have gotten my first space plane up there as well. The space plane is not my design I came upon it on youtube and duplicated it.

I am now experiencing lag so here is a question I have seen asked before on another forum when I first tried to search for it. How do I know what frames per second I have? The only advice I have seen given is to download some software, I think it was called FRAMS or something. My frames per second are obviously bad as the game is almost impossible to play now.

Here's the weird question. I have noticed people talking about how many parts they have on their stations and that it's all the parts that are making the lag problem. I have been controlling a lot of my launches remotely and staging off the propulsion part (or most of it in the case of the two big orange rockomaxes) and deorbiting them into the planet and saving after that. I like clean space but don't care about polluting the planet, so sue me.

Do the parts on the ground from crashed ships add to the lag problem. If so I may be kinda screwed...

c10YkDh.png

Well that pic looks crap for a start.

The other thing I have done to try and stop lag was change some rendering settings in the settings.cfg file at the advice of this clip http://youtu.be/_gqKiPo_3RE

The guy that posted it was running v18.something and I'm running the latest version so my config file didn't look like his and my Graphics page under settings is a bit different as well but I have turned most of it way down.

No, stuff on the ground does not contribute to lag. In stock KSP everything that moves further than around 2.5 km from the ship you are controlling gets unloaded and put on rails. The Lazor mod lets you increase that range and that can cause a lot of lag tho...

You can go to the Control Center and check to see how much debre has been left in orbit. If you find that it is causing lag, you can then delete them from the game the same way that you can terminate a mission. You can also remove landed missions on Kerbal by having them recovered.

- FPS depends on computer specifications and their ability to run the game. You haven't provided this information, so nobody can really tell whether or not a station like that should be lagging your game or not. I imagine the lights you have on the station are not helping; lights are bad.

- Knowing your FPS rate does not help increase it. However, it's "FRAPS".

- Anything you drop back to the ground from orbit will destroy itself in the atmosphere at around 30km. Debris out of physics range will only contribute to decreased performance if you have a ridiculous amount of it (i.e. Kerbin has Saturn-like rings). Even then, only objects within 2.5km really have any impact on performance.

- F2 to hide HUD, F1 to take a screenshot. There's no need to printscreen and edit the image in Paint (or whatever you did there).

I am building a fairly large space station. I also have lag issues somewhat, but, I try things in and out of the game to help the situation. I run an outside game booster program that starts up when I launch KSP, with specific settings to shut off unnecessary background apps and services. The program finds those by scanning what's running and what's needed. Once it does that first time, it keeps the shut down settings active anytime I start KSP again. I use one from Razer, download free on their web site.

I have also done things like clearing my DNS cache once a week or so to help KSP / Steam combo run smoother, helps somewhat. Inside KSP, bout all I can do is keep things minimized, dropping stages, leaving lighting in general to built in illumination except maybe a single light to help at a docking port, Only adding a single item (Like sensors) if I really want it on there, that sort of thing. It's going to happen, I just build things and plan, knowing that, to keep it simplistic and still get the job done.

Welcome to the Kerbinverse...I have received more help right here than anywhere else when I haven't taken the time to go through some of the excellent tutorials...I have in some cases done that too, but, the genuine help here is invaluable.

Note: I don't see anything wrong with the pic...I'm sure there are experts everywhere though and you can't make 'em all happy all the time...back to topic now!

Thanks for all that guys. I'll try never to criticize my own pics again :wink:

I'm in the process of banging off bits that I don't need. The spaceplane is back on the ground, well kind of all over the ground and all the lights are off. I'm off to Duna next, stand by for more stupid questions.

Cheers

Henno

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.