Project cooperation

Robje

To introduce myself, I am Ben, 28 years old and in the US Military. I've done a multitude of different things in KSP, but my most successful mission was my manned mission and return to the Jool system.

All pilots have now finished their assessment and selection, and our top pilot seems to be, none other than Jebediah Kerman. They are standing by, working in simulators until missions are assigned.

Here is the Triton rocket for our first mission. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rojivcpg9xv0s30/Triton.craft

I will post a screen shot later tonight. It will launch 4.5T into a 100km x 100km orbit and should be able to deorbit its final stage after payload delivery. It is setup for Subassembly Manager if its to be used (probe core at top is root part).

Mission Planner's Report:

I have been testing to plan an optimal flightpath for the Triton booster, and discovered a problem.

With a payload of a Rockomax X200-8 fuel tank (mass 4.5, drag 0.2), the booster performs flawlessly.

Standard gravity turn started at 10km, finished under control at 12km:

VckTstx.png

Reaching 100x100 LKO with payload intact and a small fuel reserve:

IZdjA54.png

However, if you use an unmanned PPD-12 Cupola Module (mass 4.5, drag 0.4), the booster flips over uncontrollably during gravity turn and fails to reach orbit.

This was supposed to be a gravity turn...

8F8Tn35.png

My formal recommendation is to avoid high drag parts on its payload.

I will look into it tonight and revise for a wider range of payload specs. I was using fuel tanks for test payloads.

EDIT: After some R&D our engineers revised a new version, the Triton 5 https://www.dropbox.com/s/76etzmsj4usmklx/Triton%205.craft

It will lift the Cupola with no trouble as well as any other payload I could come up with in the 5T range.

It is adaptable in that the Triton 5 Heavy can lift almost 10T with a different final stage.

EDIT2: See my following post for the final versions

Edited by Bengsch85

Shoveycat, requesting duty as Probe Engineer (Get your minds out of the gutter). My most recordable achievement in Kerbal Space Program is sending the Existing Horizons Space Probe Mk.II to an orbit of Jool, researching the system, and slinging around Tylo for a gravity assist out of the Kerbol System.

After an extensive snack break, our Kerbal Engineers have discovered the flaw with the original Triton design. In can lift the cupola module if done carefully, although we recommend waiting for the next series of rockets (2.5m) before launching that module as the Triton class is designed for unmanned probes.

Triton: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rojivcpg9xv0s30/Triton.craft

up to 5T to 100Km orbit

ATW8WJ8.jpg

Triton 5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/76etzmsj4usmklx/Triton%205.craft

up to 10T to 100Km orbit

CHTWqbD.jpg

After an extensive snack break, our Kerbal Engineers have discovered the flaw with the original Triton design. In can lift the cupola module if done carefully, although we recommend waiting for the next series of rockets (2.5m) before launching that module as the Triton class is designed for unmanned probes.

What do you mean; next series of rockets?

I mean waiting for the next missions before needing to send up a cupola module which is manned when the mission is to send up a satellite/probe. Im working on some lifters that are in the 20-50T payload range that hopefully can be adapted for future missions. If not I will design more!

After extensive testing, it has been determined that both launch vehicles are ready to be put into use in an official capacity in the Cooperative Space Program. We are ready for probe R&D to push forward with design to make headway in this project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.