KSP 40 % Off at Steam!

PetahSchwetah

Because it brings more money in the long run. Higher ranks, more clients.

I've bought it over Steam via PayPal. I think it's the first game I've ever actually bought and I'm glad it's KSP. Squad deserves every penny.

First projects - space station at 500km and a geostationary satellite. The framerate is higher. Maybe because its universe is empty. :)

Well, I first saw stuff for Kerbal a few days ago on TV Tropes and Youtube, and that got me interested in the game, and seeing it on sale on Steam was a gift from the gods for me; my sister also showed interest, so we both ended up getting copies. Thrilled to support the development of a game like this.

if the moment when those ,,digital rights'' will get problematic for me will be either when I'm totally done with gaming or I'll be dead. This arguement is just like ,,you shouldn't buy this meal at KFC cuz their stock is going down and they might get shut down by 2035''. Completely pointless

if the moment when those ,,digital rights'' will get problematic for me will be either when I'm totally done with gaming or I'll be dead. This arguement is just like ,,you shouldn't buy this meal at KFC cuz their stock is going down and they might get shut down by 2035''. Completely pointless

People should be made aware of how Steam operates in regards to digital rights and exactly what they put on your computer. I have recently encountered a problem where an automatic update rendered a previously working title useless. There was a mix-up between the developer and Steam regarding what was considered DLC. Those that bought this particular title during a steam sale lost access to their gamesaves when the update came down the pipe, costing some 100+ hours of gameplay. IMO, anyone using Steam should disable automatic updates and wait to see how the update is going to affect their game before installing said update permanently.

Edit : One should also make absolutely sure that what you are buying is what you want. There are no refunds. With KFC, if you find a hair in your food, you will probably get your refund and a free meal on top of that, they don't necessarily like being embarrassed by that sort of thing.

Edited by Otis

What Otis said. Steam has some of the most hideous DRM in the industry, though nowadays most of the big companies do. When you pay money for the right to download a Steam game, you agree that you are paying the money to Steam under no contractual agreement for them to provide you with anything in return for it. You do not own a copy of the games on your account and they can (and do) revoke this access at their disgression. Furthermore, if you install the game fully onto your computer so that you can play it offline, but do not connect to the internet for a long enough period of time (in the area of a few weeks) your Steam install automatically deletes several vital files and renders the title unplayable until you update it through your Steam account online. They also collect confidential information about your usage and you sign an agreement to waive all rights to such data and allow them to use it for marketing strategies, to share with other companies in complete freedom, and to discriminate at will based on said data.

Just want you to know what you're signing when you click that accept button. You know, most people gave up on reading those agreements because not only were they exceedingly long and tedious, but they were typically inane and centered around protecting the company. But nowadays if you take a glance down some of those, you will see some pretty hideous things.

I agree that squad does deserve every penny. I hope that it does work out in the long run. I have my doubts. Steam reminds me of Wal-Mart sometimes. Love it or hate it.

It's currently (16:53 BST, 15/09/2013) at #6 on the Steam top sellers. Squad don't get the full payment for games sold on Steam, but based on how many people purchase things regularly #6 is a considerable number of sales the developers are unlikely to have otherwise gained.

It's basically advertising; if you want people to buy something, you advertise it. Advertising costs money.

Disable automatic updates by going to the Steam library and right clicking the particular title you want to change. There should be an option for disabling autoupdates in the list that pops up after right clicking.

edit : after double checking, I see I was almost right. Right click then goto properties. Then click the updates tab, then change the box so that no auto-updates are allowed.

It also looks like Steam has to be online and logged in for changes to take effect.

Edited by Otis

As far as the Steam DRM thing goes, that's not really an issue with KSP. Steam is used to distribute the game, but that's as far as it goes. You can launch the game without being logged into Steam - navigate to the KSP folder and run the executable directly.

Well, its on steam for -40 %, thats cool, so i bought it, eventho i bought it here from the site also, when it was v 0.15 i think.

Yea, i know i could get a free steam key, whatever :D, just want to support the developers i guess, and then i love a good deal too haha.

I dont even know why i make this post, but thanks Squad for a great game that deserve lots of attention.

DRM is not an issue, but automatic updates are. Turning off auto-update could give players more time to decide whether or not they want to try out .22.1 ,for example, by reading reactions to the update in the forums first. While Squad fixed that problem by allowing players to choose from an earlier stable release, its easier to not even have to deal with it in the first place, IMO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.