Poll, Do/Should Kerbal Genders exist?

hawkinator

Are there kerbal genders  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Are there kerbal genders

• There are/should be two kerbal genders, male and female, with female being merely unimplemented.
    • Kerbals are asexual, and don't have genders/have one gender
    • Kerbals have more than two genders (please discuss)
    • other (please discuss)

While I agree with most things you've said, I disagree about this. Many elements are inspired by it, but each Kerbal space program is unique.

If I recall correctly, the Americans didn't just add more SRBs until they got high enough to hit the Moon. Yet that's how my first endeavour in this game went.

I do have several kerbals with girl sounding names, but the illusion is ruined slightly when you look closely at them. So I'd like there to be a female version with a slightly different face.

That was your gaming policy. Mine was to add more stages. I immediately went Mercury and Gemini. :)

One of the closest "girl" name I've encountered was Melmy, at least it sound kind of female to me. Other than that... nothing I recall easily.

One of the closest "girl" name I've encountered was Melmy, at least it sound kind of female to me. Other than that... nothing I recall easily.

Hey! A Melmy Kerman was the first kerbal I sent to the Mun (On that pile of mostly SRBs) who didn't die attempting to land. Cool coincidence. That one I considered to be a guy.

Meh. I am cool with asexual, but I do think "female" names should be added at some point. Seems odd if they are really asexual that only "masculine" names are being used.

I guess my feminist protective sense doesn't get twigged on this one. I view the Kerbals as asexual, not male only or male/female with no one seeing any female Kerbonauts. I just think it would be cool to see Florence Kermin and Clara Kermin and stuff come up in the rooster.

I personally feel that Kerbals are fungal. Which is why you have some many of them ready to ride a rocket. It blows up, no sweat. The Kerbal engineers swoop in, swap the wreckage for some left over spores and grow Jeb back up to speed and strap him in another rocket.

This. Especially the cool names like Florence and Clara. The rest of this whole argument is silly.

This. Especially the cool names like Florence and Clara. The rest of this whole argument is silly.

I hate this issue becuase it causes flamewars. And now I feel a tad dense because the solution was in our grasp the whole time. Add more names! Judging from the names already in-game, I'd think that we should lean towards more outlandish and unique names. Such as Nyla or Cleo (i'm a sucker for 4 letter names).

For those who want it all and want it now (Earworm halp) You can go into the config file and edit the pre-existing Kerbal names to your liking.

I hate this issue becuase it causes flamewars. And now I feel a tad dense because the solution was in our grasp the whole time. Add more names! Judging from the names .

Not really a solution. Girlish names or not, they still look male. All we need is some tweaks to the shape if the face, then no problem.

Edited by Tw1

Hey! A Melmy Kerman was the first kerbal I sent to the Mun (On that pile of mostly SRBs) who didn't die attempting to land. Cool coincidence. That one I considered to be a guy.

It does sound a bit like a male Irish name if I think about it... Maybe a name for a leprechaun. :P

I imagine kerbals are hermaphrodites that lay eggs. they grow very fast and have short lifespans.

this helps me cope with the sheer number of them i have killed...

No matter how many newborns are, you still have to live with the fact that every single one of them is unique. Was unique. :(

hmmmn...Eyelashes. Done. And if you REALLY want to get fancy; Wigs.

Sounds a little cheap and nasty, don't you think? I'm sure squad could do better than that.

I think it's time we let this discussion die down. Most views have been aired, and points have been argued.

As we can see from the poll, options are quite close. A small majority would like to see the feminine side of kerbality in game. Many others don't care, or treat them as asexual. A few seem worried it will detract from the game for some reason.

I was reminded of this discussion when skim-watching HarvesteR's talk in that video, the other night:

Kerbals make KSP more than just a game about building spaceships. They're that humanising element, they're what makes players relate to the game.

Interesting how they didn't have much idea what the kerbals would look, or be like when they started. He talked about how a whole universe of kerbals that began to develop.

I hope the idea can be extended a little more. I'm sure, if they do add a female kerbal sometime in the future, it would be a good thing for the game.

Edited by Tw1

Tinky-Winky wasn't presented as gay. He was a cartoonishly presented feminized male (red purse, affectionate behaviour), which is really not the same thing. As for his triangle antenna, that merely resembles the badge from the death camps so I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Sexuality wasn't ever even implied in the series.

Anyway, I don't have a clue of his or their effects on children (I'm not a child psychologist and I haven't done any research), but I know I considered each of those four characters pretty stupid. He and Dipsy were the worst. Lala was quite smart, Po was almost a baby, but these two were downright dumb as a bag of rocks. So dumb and annoying.

For each and every one of them sex wasn't even considered, but their gender was well defined.

Kerbals' sexuality is undefined. Their sex is undefined. Their gender is mildly defined.

I think the best option at this stage is just to add some female kerbal names.

I second this. Having a dedicated female kerbonaut model may be lots of work, but putting some female names into the random name generator should be a breeze. It's really low-hanging fruit and a lot of bang for the buck.

The Kerbal von Braun has a moustache. My Aunty had a moustache. That is all.

Pretty sure this is the best reply in the entire thread. At least, it's the only one that got any response out of me positive, or negative. (To be clear, I liked this statement)

I just don't see Kerbals as sexual beings, they're just characters in a game. It's the same reason Tinky-Winky wasn't gay. He wasn't straight either, just a giant purple kids' TV character. Sexuality or gender isn't even a consideration.
I don't really see it as a huge issue. Sex doesn't really play into this game at all in my opinion. So, if they add them or if they don't I don't really see it changing the feel of the game at all.

I wanted to stay out of this, I'd said my thing, but I have to just add one more thing.....

No one is asking for Kerbal sex. We're asking for Kerbal women.

Just because women exist doesn't mean that we're adding sex, when you say it that way it really feels like the same old implication that you believe that women only exist to be sex objects.

It is perfectly possible to have Kerbal women in the game without ever having Kerbal sex in the game.

I honestly think that having different genders of kerbals would add just that little bit of extra detail to the game. After all, the more we recognise a kerbal and see how they're unique from other kerbals, the sadder we'll be when we inevitably kill them.

Sexes for my are ok. And I'm also ok with kerbals remaining asexual, seriously, it's not very important.

What I'm against is "genders"

Sex is defined by the chromosomes and primary sex characteristics i.e. organs.

Gender is the way an individual is presented towards the society and is almost always equal to the sex. I don't see what's exactly the problem.

I certainly don't want to look at Kerbals' genitals, but I'm interested to see two genders in the game in the form of a weak dimorphism, without any "wigs and eyelashes" and sexuality. I don't think anybody wants that.

People confuse sex with gender a lot. I get what you mean though.
Sex is defined by the chromosomes and primary sex characteristics i.e. organs.

Gender is the way an individual is presented towards the society and is almost always equal to the sex. I don't see what's exactly the problem.

I certainly don't want to look at Kerbals' genitals, but I'm interested to see two genders in the game in the form of a weak dimorphism, without any "wigs and eyelashes" and sexuality. I don't think anybody wants that.

Sex is male or female, based merely on genitalia.

Gender is based on the individual's orientation and we know that with the idea of becoming special and unique snowflakes, a lot of people get crazy with gender definition (and today we have a huge variety of genders). I don't want to put my opinion on this gender topic here because the ****storm would be too great considering fellow posters' opinions.