Parachuting bases in

I'm playing about with the H.O.M.E. pods setting up a few units on Eve, sending them in by parachute re-entry from about 150k orbit. Is there a technique for being able to aim them to land better- within 1/2km or less of same spot?

Edited by Sprool

There is no fool proof way but a few things you COULD try.

First of all, quicksave as often as you can.

You could make your orbit speed 0m/s and just "fall" towards your site. Also, don't forget that the planet will rotate as you descend you will need to compensate for that...SO, the lower your start the more dV you will need to slow your speed but less dV (i THINK) as you ascend (but you will have parachutes so shouldn't be too hard).

Another way is you "flying" down where you lower your PE or AP overshooting the landing site by a bit (to compensate for drag) and deploying your shoots when you are almost over the landing site.

However, it will mainly be trial and error. A few runs and you will get the general idea of how the craft will behave and be able to compensate :)

That's all I can offer my self....I am sure there will be others who can contribute more detailed instructions.

I prefer to come in from a stable high orbit, reduce forward speed to 0 so my trajectory is almost straight down.

I can come in pretty close, but that is with the risk of any parts jettisoned during descent to crash into whatever I put already down there. I haven't "succesfully" accidentially bombed my own base yet though.)

1233614_301370653335166_2140350864_n.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.